Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you guys shop around before deciding on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what is common practice, but my car was charged to ~50% IIRC and got it up to ~80% before heading to a Christmas party (picked it up 1 year ago today). I made it a point to not romp on it until the next day when it was charged to 86% and the family was with me. I won’t forget that moment. :D Hopefully you can find a clear road with good traction before swapping to winter tires.

Totally depends on the delivery center and their process.

At ours, vehicles are delivered only after a full detailing and with a charge to 100%. Both our 3 & X were delivered just like that - I really appreciated their attention to detail!

I did some perfunctory shopping around but frankly it was not close. For an American there is simply no other choice for an EV, unless you can justify also owning another vehicle as well.

Supercharger network is the only halfway decent network in the US. Electrify America is OK in a few regions but a) it’s bad outside of them, b)reliability is apparently pretty poor, and c) I’m nervous about VW’s long term commitment to sinking money into that network after they’re no longer forced to.

so for the most part the options are:
- get a Tesla
- get a competitor AND another car
- get a competitor and either rent cars for trips or deal with the crap charging experience

I always cringe when I see people around these parts talk about their model 3s as M3’s. No dude, it’s not an M3. It is a Model 3.

Ha! Yeah, it drives me crazy that people use goofy un-googleable terms for these cars like "my", "M3" or "Ms." but M3 is by far the worst since it is literally the *exact* model name of one of the most legendary cars of our time.

I thought, sheesh, these Tesla stans must not know the first thing about cars if they think it's OK to misappropriate the M3 name like that.

But it turns out the killer is calling from inside the house:

TeslaEPC.jpg

Why doesn’t it make sense? Makes plenty If I’ve already paid 4,500 extra for color, wheels and interior. Charge a couple grand more for premium audio. Most people that are buying the LR are not buying it for the audio, they want the extra power and range.
Because Tesla do not build a la carte. They are optimizing for production efficiency. That means choice of color, choice of trim level, and wheels. And thats it. Your “one little special case” disrupts that, and of course like a snowball it cascades into an avalanche of other “one little special cases”.

Because Tesla do not build a la carte. They are optimizing for production efficiency. That means choice of color, choice of trim level, and wheels. And thats it. Your “one little special case” disrupts that, and of course like a snowball it cascades into an avalanche of other “one little special cases”.
I doubt I’m the only one that feels this way. I’m sure more people would pay extra for the premium audio. Audio is a major deal when it comes to a sports sedan.

So why do you need a Tesla at all?
So, I could have a second car and that I could drive around on the weekend?