Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you guys shop around before deciding on the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I’d share my 2 cents here.

I feel like the value proposition of the Model 3 Long Range DM is just unmatched. For around 50 grand you get a car capable of 0-60 in 3.5 seconds on cheap all season tires (with boost upgrade), extremely practical for family (can go Model Y if too small), has arguably the most tech in any car it’s price range with ability to improve through software and add new features. The only thing people seem to bag on is it’s looks or minimalist interior which is just personal preference and not really a functional argument, but otherwise it’s extremely hard to beat for its price. With dynamat installed to its doors its sound system will not have a single rattle and be comparable to what you’d hear in a high end Audi or Mercedes system. 5 star safety with full self driving capability in the future as well as strong reliability, it really is hard to beat. I’m a huge car fan and love my roaring engine but the way this car feels to sit in is truly something else, feels like you’re gliding! And come on netflix in your car? No size screen in any other car can even replicate that, and yes I’m a fanboy :D The functionality really is unmatched, just needs a lot of work for overall build quality and customer service, but not bad for a car that’s been out for 3 years without being refreshed even once.

I haven’t ordered my 3 yet, because with COVID I don’t really have anywhere to go, not even a commute, but I’m not seeing much that might change my choice.

For me, this is not a “need” vehicle, but rather a “want”. I reached a few personal goals I set for myself, and this is my reward. Our current car is a 2012 Chevy Volt that still works quite well, and I do have a keen interest in EVs, but my goal is to get the performance car I’ve wanted For years while sticking to a budget of $75k Canadian dollars.

Top candidates for me were the Model 3, Audi RS3, a base model C8 Corvette or BMW M2. Briefly looked at the Polestar 2, but I couldn’t see a compelling case over the Model 3, and the nearest service centre is in Montreal, over 200km away. The C8 is still tempting, but it’s totally unusable in a Canadian winter, and that would be a lot of money for a car I can’t use from mid-November to mid-April. The RS3 is very nice and sounds awesome, but it has the chronic Quattro understeer issues that are well documented (heck, they even put wider tires on the front to try to mitigate that). I’m cautious on BMW because of high maintenance costs, and also not certain how well it would do in winter.

I’m curious to see what the upcoming Tesla announcements will unveil. The heat pump would be a big deal (Eastern Canadian winters!).

As it stands, I’m strongly leaning towards a M3P without FSD (again, not reliable/safe in winter on snow-covered roads). The possibility of ordering a LR AWD and immediately applying the Performance Boost is starting to grow on me however. I would likely not notice the difference in acceleration much between that and the P, and I know that the roads around here are not the best with the 20” wheels. Track mode would be nice though. There is a track within about an hour’s drive that has chargers, and it would be fun to get the most of it on a track..

Reactions: BlindPass
I haven’t ordered my 3 yet, because with COVID I don’t really have anywhere to go, not even a commute, but I’m not seeing much that might change my choice.

For me, this is not a “need” vehicle, but rather a “want”. I reached a few personal goals I set for myself, and this is my reward. Our current car is a 2012 Chevy Volt that still works quite well, and I do have a keen interest in EVs, but my goal is to get the performance car I’ve wanted For years while sticking to a budget of $75k Canadian dollars.

Top candidates for me were the Model 3, Audi RS3, a base model C8 Corvette or BMW M2. Briefly looked at the Polestar 2, but I couldn’t see a compelling case over the Model 3, and the nearest service centre is in Montreal, over 200km away. The C8 is still tempting, but it’s totally unusable in a Canadian winter, and that would be a lot of money for a car I can’t use from mid-November to mid-April. The RS3 is very nice and sounds awesome, but it has the chronic Quattro understeer issues that are well documented (heck, they even put wider tires on the front to try to mitigate that). I’m cautious on BMW because of high maintenance costs, and also not certain how well it would do in winter.

I’m curious to see what the upcoming Tesla announcements will unveil. The heat pump would be a big deal (Eastern Canadian winters!).

As it stands, I’m strongly leaning towards a M3P without FSD (again, not reliable/safe in winter on snow-covered roads). The possibility of ordering a LR AWD and immediately applying the Performance Boost is starting to grow on me however. I would likely not notice the difference in acceleration much between that and the P, and I know that the roads around here are not the best with the 20” wheels. Track mode would be nice though. There is a track within about an hour’s drive that has chargers, and it would be fun to get the most of it on a track..

The P3D has an awesome stance with its large wheels and upgraded brakes but man will those 20” P4S tires run you a big amount of money over the long term, they’re really expensive and will likely wear quickly. With the boost upgrade it has a 3.5 with 1 foot rollout for around 50,190 before taxes, while a P3D is 56,190. For me an extra 0.5 to 60 and 1/4 mile time for 6500 more seems a bit steep it would be a better option if it was another 2-3 grand more on top of the boost.

The P3D has an awesome stance with its large wheels and upgraded brakes but man will those 20” P4S tires run you a big amount of money over the long term, they’re really expensive and will likely wear quickly. With the boost upgrade it has a 3.5 with 1 foot rollout for around 50,190 before taxes, while a P3D is 56,190. For me an extra 0.5 to 60 and 1/4 mile time for 6500 more seems a bit steep it would be a better option if it was another 2-3 grand more on top of the boost.

I agree. Pricing is a bit different here in Canada but similar increase in %. I’m not worried about tire wear. I’d probably put a set of P4s tires on the 18s anyways. For the most part, this will be a low-mileage car, mostly for fun (grown up toy, lol). Even if I use it to get to work once we are back in offices next year, it’s only 13 miles round trip and I use my bicycle in the summer.

I do wonder what downsides there would be of taking a boosted LR AWD to a track without the extra cooling track mode provides. Being able to play with front-rear,drive bias would be nice as well...maybe the M3P is the way to go after all :)

If you're legit planning to track it with any regularity- yeah, the P is the way to go... plan to sell the 20s to some other sucker and get lightweight 18s, but you definitely want track mode.

If it's just intended as a fun street car then save the $ and get the AWD with boost.

what do you compare to the M3? something that has no real competition in the market atm imho? every other car feels like a pig now that i drive the M3. don't have to worry about any ICE parts breaking down. out the door everyday with a full tank if you wanted to. really nothing to compare...

I looked at three other cars.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Mercedes CLA(Between a 250 and a 35AMG)
BMW 330i

I’ve had two other 3 series’(E90 330i and bought my 328i when I sold my 330i). Over the years I’ve lost interest in BMW’s, they’re philosophy has been lost over the last decade.

So, did you guys look around before pulling the trigger on the Tesla?

P.S. If this isn’t the right place to discuss, my apologizes. I thought since this is the ordering place and some of us are waiting, we can discuss at other cars we looked at prior.

You don't mention if you have had a test drive. if not, do so before making a decision.

I agree with your opinions about BMW (ex 3-series owner here) .. they have lost the formula amongst the bewildering array of cars for every tiny market segment (with each one offering some diluted-down-to-nothing "M" badge). And fake exhaust sounds via the sound system? Seriously?

My feeling is MB are in the same bracket as BMW now, and I get put off by a web site that is clearly designed to push me into buying options I dont want (and on BMW/MB these days, everything is optional).

Alfa Romeo still have a soul, and the cars undoubtedly have cache and are exhilarating to drive ... when they are not in the shop waiting for parts!

Reactions: Erin W.
I looked at three other cars.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti
Mercedes CLA(Between a 250 and a 35AMG)
BMW 330i

I’ve had two other 3 series’(E90 330i and bought my 328i when I sold my 330i). Over the years I’ve lost interest in BMW’s, they’re philosophy has been lost over the last decade.

As for pricing and whatnot with the M and premium packages, the car was around 53k before taxes and whatnot. As I’ve mentioned above, BMW has lost what made it is the ultimate driving machine. I didn’t think it was worth the price and as I’ve had a couple BMW’s, I thought it was time to move on to something new.

The CLA was something I thought about buying a few years back when I got rid of my E350. But as was the case then there were better options out in the market.

The Alfa. I really love this car, I couldn’t find a single problem worth it. The pricing, the power, the exterior and the interior are flawless. I would’ve pulled the trigger but I had concerns that the model would change in the upcoming year.

So, did you guys look around before pulling the trigger on the Tesla?

P.S. If this isn’t the right place to discuss, my apologizes. I thought since this is the ordering place and some of us are waiting, we can discuss at other cars we looked at prior.
I spent this past summer shopping around - a lot. For me it was down to a Lexus ES Hybrid, BMW 530i or 530e (but it was hard to find many e options here at local dealers) and of course Tesla Model 3 LR. I really thought I was going to wind up with the Lexus because they're proven incredibly reliable vehicles and the Lexus ES Hybrid got over 40 mpg which is great considering. A new Lexus ES Hybrid all in with taxes would have cost me $46K and they do really well on resale value. The car on the inside is just gorgeous and spacious rear, but honestly it was a bore to drive. Almost non-existent pickup because its hybrid. I thought to myself I'll enjoy this for a few months then it'll just feel the same to me as past cars I've had (including Audi A3). The BMW was fun to drive and I love the look of it - however - the reliability scores really scared me. I don't want a car that's going to be in the shop every year with problems. But NOTHING compared to my test drives of the Tesla LR 3 - so much fun and the acceleration is crazy good. I ordered the SR but then changed mind and got the one I really wanted (LR) and while I haven't received it yet, I'm sure I made the right decision. It's the future!

Just a bit of a bump to see if other people shopped around.

I’ve had my model 3 for about three months now, and I’ve still got less than a thousand miles on it. I barely cracked 900. I think it is a great car but it is my weekend car. I think its one major drawback is the lousy sound system in the SR+. I can’t get over why Tesla would put such an inadequate system in such a great car. I’ve mentioned this before, Tesla needs to give their customers more options, including upgrading to premium sound in the Sr+.

Time to replace 2003 Lexus IS300 purchased new for the wife. She said she would never own anything but a lexus! She test drove an 2021 Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS300, Lexus IS350 and Model 3 LR. Went back to drive the 3 a second time. Now waiting for delivery of 2021 MCM Model 3! This car may make decide to replace my 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe with another S.

Looking back now, the last real test drive I had was a coworker's Model S in 2013... I became a Tesla fanatic then, and the only reason I was still buying BMWs: the intricate challenges of getting a private charger in my condo parking spaces. So happy to have not looked back :)

Just a bit of a bump to see if other people shopped around.

I’ve had my model 3 for about three months now, and I’ve still got less than a thousand miles on it. I barely cracked 900. I think it is a great car but it is my weekend car. I think its one major drawback is the lousy sound system in the SR+. I can’t get over why Tesla would put such an inadequate system in such a great car. I’ve mentioned this before, Tesla needs to give their customers more options, including upgrading to premium sound in the Sr+.

Aren't there a bunch of aftermarket upgrades available?

There are. But I would’ve rather had it tacked onto my loan than me having to be quoted at 4-5k from a shop.

Obviously I dont know your financial situation, but the delta from SR+ to LRAWD (with premium audio) is $9k, so it seems a bit odd to get SR+ and $4-5k aftermarket audio upgrade, when for $4k more you could have the extra range, power etc of the LRAWD ?

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Obviously I dont know your financial situation, but the delta from SR+ to LRAWD (with premium audio) is $9k, so it seems a bit odd to get SR+ and $4-5k aftermarket audio upgrade, when for $4k more you could have the extra range, power etc of the LRAWD ?

Yup.

Pretty much audio, range, and performance are the only real differences from SR+ to LR AWD, offering full audio on the SR+ doesn't make a ton of sense from a config perspective for Tesla once they decided not to make an entirely different crappier interior like they'd originally planned- they've got to still retain some significant distinctions to encourage purchasing the higher trim.

I don’t need the range. I’ve mentioned it before but this is mostly my weekend car. I picked up the car Sept 28th and as of today, I have 915 miles on it. I have my 3 series that I drive around most of the time. And I don’t ever take my cars on long road trips. I rent as I always do or I just fly. So, range made absolutely no sense to me. I’ve also got a charger at home and live in Southern California and AWD is not needed. Plus, I’ve always enjoyed RWD much more. Who doesn’t enjoy tugging on the backside every now and then? As for the power, that’s not a huge deal for me. The SR+ is plenty.

I paid extra for the red, for the 19 inch wheels and the white seats. Now, if I want a premium audio system, I’ll have to cut a check for 4-5k to have a nice sound system. My point is I wish Tesla gave me that option.

Yup.

Pretty much audio, range, and performance are the only real differences from SR+ to LR AWD, offering full audio on the SR+ doesn't make a ton of sense from a config perspective for Tesla once they decided not to make an entirely different crappier interior like they'd originally planned- they've got to still retain some significant distinctions to encourage purchasing the higher trim.

Why doesn’t it make sense? Makes plenty If I’ve already paid 4,500 extra for color, wheels and interior. Charge a couple grand more for premium audio. Most people that are buying the LR are not buying it for the audio, they want the extra power and range.

No, I’ve spent the last 15 years in a 2004 VW Jetta GLI. Spent years putting away money, biding my time, waiting for my dream car to exist. Tesla Model S came along, and still a pipe dream. Never dreamed I’d spend more than 35k on a vehicle in my life. Financially comfortable enough to not break the bank, I went for a test drive in a Model 3. Game over, bought it that day. Took delivery almost a week ago, and it’s surpassed my expectations thus far.