TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Did you have a front license plate installed in WA?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ACDriveMotor, Oct 8, 2013.

?

What did you do for front license plate?

1. Tesla installed front plate

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. No front plate

29 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Automatic hide front plate kit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Manual hide front plate kit

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Zip tie or other solution

14 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I am looking ahead to delivery and wondering what to do about front license plate. I don't like the idea of marring the front with drill holes. I also don't love the idea of getting pulled over. I've seen the manual and automatic front plate kits. Anyone install one and if so do you have pictures?

2. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

I don't like the front plate, but I don't like hassles, either. To me, not a big deal. I find life is easier when you play by the rules.

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

My front plate has been off for about two months and I have driven past numerous cops. Even got a ticket for something else. Not even a comment. Not saying never going to be a problem but so far so good.

4. JackA

JackA Member

No front plate on this or my previous car. Nine years total experience; one stop, no ticket or warning. Jack

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Even downtown Seattle?

6. Lightning Jeff

Lightning Jeff Model S #4214

I have not had a front plate on my S (since February), or on my Jag XF (Jan. 2010 to Jan. 2013). I drive a lot of miles through a lot of jurisdiction in Washington, including freeways and downtown Seattle, and I've never been stopped. I try not to give police/state patrol a reason to want to stop me, and that seems to work. I'm sure there are a few out there who look for this, but I feel like the majority see kind of an exotic car and give it a pass.

7. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

I know of 2 S owners that have gotten tickets for no front plate.

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I used the Show-N-Go hidden plate mount. It is great, but there's few things in this world that are perfect. There's nothing wrong with the Show-N-Go, but more than once because the S is so low, I still struck the curb or the driveway and "hurt" the tag or the mount. I've even had to repaint the numbers on my tag because it scratched the paint off the tag.

I still say, its the best way I have found so far. I did a couple of pictures and a write up on how to install it. Do a search and you will locate it. We have a long thread called Hawaii Tesla Owners. Its in there.

I am going to try and get a damaged nosecone to tinker with. I would like to cut a slice along the bottom, mount a slider so it moves up and down (from in front of the grill to up and behind the backside of the nosecone). I'd like the tag to disappear up behind the nosecone, and with releasing a plate or pin, the tag would lower and be exposed, as needed.

I've considered removing the lower black plastic grill and mounting the Show-N-Go so its above the lower splitter and the plate and tag would disappear in to the area behind where the black lower grill is. This is believe is risky though. One bump to hard and the metal bracket of the Show-N-Go would push through the radiator. And a radiator would not be cheap and I would be paying for it and the labor to replace it.

9. eAdopter

eAdopter Member

Not likely when parking on metered Seattle streets. Seattle PD is brutal when it comes to generating money for McSchwinn.

10. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Front plates for me, the car seems to be OK with it, no hurt feelings.

11. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

#11 ChadS, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
    Torkliftcentral.com has a new solution on their site that grips the honeycomb below the nosecone. Easy to put on and remove, no drilling. If I didn't already have holes in my nosecone I would get one. They have pics on their site.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I just ordered it. Have been asking for something like this for years (well before the Model S came out) so glad someone did the work to make this happen. Will see how easy it is to install and take off for car shows and pictures.

13. liuping

liuping Active Member

I'm very interested in the mount. The one thing that worried me after watching the video, was how the frame was attached to the plate. They just sort of placed it there, no screws or anything.

Also, it looked like the license plate might rub against the paint with wind, etc. probably need to put some rubber 'feet' on the plate to be safe.

I'd love to see pics when you get it installed.

14. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

He just set the frame on to take pictures - he didn't attach it.

Note that not all frames have lower mounting holes, which you would need to use this mounting bracket.

15. guellis

guellis Member

Bellevue sc put mine on with zip ties below the nose cone. No holes!

16. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Nice. My delivery was moved from Bellevue to the Seattle SC. Sounds like they are moving or closing Bellevue. Or Bellevue is overloaded. Hopefully Seattle SC can do the same for me. I don't want holes.

17. BoscoBoy

BoscoBoy Member

Just called TorkLiftCentral to see if I could drop by their shop and pick one up ("The Law"), but out of stock for about 10 days.

18. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

I forget which gathering I saw it at, but one owner found a way to attach the plate to the underside of the nose of the car... anyone know how this was done and if it meets the technical requirements? No bumper sticker captures the sentiment better here in WA state than "meter maids eat their young", looking for anything to ding you on.

19. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I have been driving in WA for 5 years with no front license plate. I have never had an issue.
    I have received tickets for other stuff, but never for the missing license plate.

20. Tacket

Tacket Member

Doubtful that they are closing Bellevue. If anything, rumors have it that they will be expanding and improving the area since it's quite dumpy at the moment.

And I have been without front plate for 4 months in WA with no issues.