Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you have to convince your significant other?

My Significant Other was Against my Model 3 Purchase So I...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: my wife is not a fan of the Model 3. Did anyone here have to convince their significant other to get on board with their Model 3 purchase? Was it a success? How did you do it?

I recently rented a Model 3 for 4 days (second time renting). Needed to see how it "fit" into my daily life. Overall, I had an absolute blast with it. Took it on a long day trip. Great car, no doubt about that. Supercharged it, the whole 9. I’ve been researching the car for around 7 months - going back and forth on whether to buy it or not. Watched all the videos, read TMC religiously and the like. No car payment right now, that’s a big big reason why I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. We are also expecting our first child early next year (budget killer, lol). That, and the thread subject..
Why does she not like the most amazing car on the planet? Well, its a car. She’s an SUV gal, and I have to tell you, we don’t have the money for a X (I much prefer the 3 anyway). She has her own SUV, so this car would be MINE. I’d drive it, care for it, pay for it, etc...
Still, though, happy wife happy life, right?. I want to enjoy the car with her - go on trips, hit that 0-60 in 3.2, just be part of the community which I’ve grown to enjoy.
So, any tips and/or tricks? Anyone have VERY young children who have experience with the Model 3 they could share with me?

Just buy it, that's what I did. Ordered on-line, and on the day of delivery, I picked her up at work and drove to the Tesla store. She though I just wanted to look around, but when she saw me give the keys to our old car to my brother (who'd agreed to buy it) and drove off, she seemed surprised. An hour later, we were on our way home in a new SR+ and she was liking it. Next day she takes it out and now it's "her" car. Guess I'm going to have to get another one.

P.S. My kids aren't very young, but the car is kid friendly.

We had a few drinks last Halloween and ended up ordering it the next morning before she had time to back out! Had to get that full tax credit!

Haha but the backstory: We test drove an S years ago and both enjoyed it. I waited in line to put down the $1k deposit out of my personal money. My commute is 80 miles r/t so it made a lot of sense. We have a 4 and 6 year old both in giant Recaro carseats and still fit fine. I convinced her to take it to visit my folks over the summer, 7 hrs away. The car was actually ready to go before my kids finished their chicken tenders....

Almost a year in and nearly 19k miles....zero regrets or complaints. My electric bill went up an average of $54/month, much better then my F150 $300 monthly gas bill.

• Funny
Reactions: jamessmooth007
I have three suggestions: First, with a baby coming soon, I suggest you point out how safe Tesla's are compared to most other cars. The entire bottom of the car is battery creating a very low center of gravity and making them much less likely to roll over in an accident versus a typical car. There are lots of YouTube videos which illustrate why and how Tesla's are so safe. Here is one:
. Second, point out that because there is no drivetrain, there is no center bump in the back seat. That makes moving baby bags and other accessories around in the back seat much easier - you can slide them back and forth as needed. I have MUCH more room in the back of my TESLA Model 3 than I do in my Audi Q5 SUV which I mistakenly bought thinking it would be better for hauling around kids. (It's got a HUGE center bump.) Third, it has a remarkably large trunk PLUS a large area UNDER the regular trunk where a gas tank typically is. That, along with a FRUNK (a trunk in the front because there is no engine), makes for even more space. Good luck.

Get the 3, and then you can replace her car with the Y when it comes out.

At least, that is my plan. I have had 3 for 17 months now with zero regrets but I still can’t get my wife to drive my “space ship” car (her words). So far, she has driven around the block once with chill mode on.

Just buy it, that's what I did. Ordered on-line, and on the day of delivery, I picked her up at work and drove to the Tesla store. She though I just wanted to look around, but when she saw me give the keys to our old car to my brother (who'd agreed to buy it) and drove off, she seemed surprised. An hour later, we were on our way home in a new SR+ and she was liking it. Next day she takes it out and now it's "her" car. Guess I'm going to have to get another one.

P.S. My kids aren't very young, but the car is kid friendly.
You don't fool around and waste time!

I'm not married so I don't get the whole happy wife, happy life thing.

If its your money, and you're paying for it then I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't try to sell her on the Tesla at all. Instead I'd make sure she was okay with X expenditure per month for a vehicle. I'd also make sure it was the total cost of ownership differential from the vehicle you now have.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I didn't have anyone to convince for the M3. However, I will say, that the only way you can really appreciate an electric car is to use one for a few days. My ex-GF wasn't 100% sold on electric either, but she came around pretty quickly when she started driving the Leaf. A few weeks on, I asked her, "Do you think this was a mistake?" and her response basically "absolutely not." A Model 3 should even easier to "sell" to your partner.

I was keen on the Long Range AWD and the boss was freaked out by the cost. So we bought the SR+ (it took me maybe a day to convince myself that's what I wanted all along). The first 2 days we owned it she drove it more than I did. She's now completely sold on the car, and talking to me excitedly about articles she's read. I'm sure I'm seeing what she's watched for 3.5 years :)

Having said that, this car would have been impractical for us until recently and we have kept the 7 seat ICE for her daily driver (she says until we win Lotto and can buy an X too).

Tesla has ruined all other cars for us after less than a week of ownership.

I am still trying to convince my wife. Not about the car, but the price. Even putting close to 50% down, a LR AWD carries a $500 a month payment.

I try to tell her, I am spending close to that on gas and repairs on my Jeep.

Hell, in the last few weeks I have spent $1400 on a clutch and new plugs. It still needs front brakes and a new suspension. It has 200,000 miles.

Thanks to the amount I have been driving lately, and gas prices, I have put $250 in gas in the last week.

Should be an easy sell, but alas.

I thought I’d have to convince her. But as soon as I asked about making a reservation on Day 2 (1 April 2016), she was on board. There were a few conversations over the next 2+ years from reservation until order as we settled on options, but that was very collaborative and easy. So I kinda led, but it was a joint decision all the way. Our marriage is like that.