Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you key come with a band around it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a news article stating that the key band was just released and available for sale in the tesla store. It came on my keys when I got my car last year. Have these been coming on the keys for new cars, or did I just get lucky? If you got a 2018, did the key already have the band?

Saw a news article stating that the key band was just released and available for sale in the tesla store. It came on my keys when I got my car last year. Have these been coming on the keys for new cars, or did I just get lucky? If you got a 2018, did the key already have the band?
They've been delivering these with keys since June 2016. Our 2016 and 2017 cars all came with the key bands. The 2018s were Model 3s and didn't come with fobs. I'm pretty certain any 2019 cars we buy will come with them as well.

I got my car at the end of November 2018, but the car was built back in June 2018. So I guess what happened was they stopped including these as part of the sale sometime after mid year, and just now made them available again by purchasing online.

My 2017 S came with the "thong" band on the fobs. My wife's 2018 X did not come with anything for the fob (even a lanyard, even though there is a place to put the lanyard). I asked about it and some suggested asking service for them, but service said they no longer had them.

My wife really liked the band so I found a near identical (for S or X) on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPZ5DSZ/

Like @MorrisonHiker, the band for my S is nearly 2 years old and still as good as new. A little dusty, maybe. I don't have anything on the ring; maybe that makes a difference.
20190206_131011.jpg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker