Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you know? (Charge port open/close/unlatch debate)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"You can also press the charging handle button to open the charge port."

FFS
I really don't care. It's not a "handle" it's a plug. And mine doesn't have a button but if it did I would know. And it wouldn't look like that picture because that's an American one.
Just unlock the god damn port.

Seriously
Is there a reliable one click way to unlock the charge port to remove the cable. I either get the above message (several times) or it does nothing and after a few tries I either climb in the passenger door to jab the button on the screen or open the boot and pull the release thing in there.

"You can also press the charging handle button to open the charge port."

FFS
I really don't care. It's not a "handle" it's a plug. And mine doesn't have a button but if it did I would know. And it wouldn't look like that picture because that's an American one.
Just unlock the god damn port.

Seriously
Is there a reliable one click way to unlock the charge port to remove the cable. I either get the above message (several times) or it does nothing and after a few tries I either climb in the passenger door to jab the button on the screen or open the boot and pull the release thing in there.
I think this is covered in the manual. There's also an emergency ejection toggle in the boot.

Seriously
I find that the unlock using the app works reliably. It does nowadays come with the message you describe but that doesn't affect the unlocking taking place.

Reactions: Teddy69 and init6
I've had a few occasions recently where it hasn't unlocked. On my home charger I can power cycle the charger which forces the car to restart the charge and it usually releases the second time.

You'd be properly stuffed on a public charger though, especially since pulling the manual release damages the socket over time.

I've had a few occasions recently where it hasn't unlocked. On my home charger I can power cycle the charger which forces the car to restart the charge and it usually releases the second time.

You'd be properly stuffed on a public charger though, especially since pulling the manual release damages the socket over time.
I get that every now and again. I used to power cycle the charger but that's not required. If the T has turned white (more like a light blue) you can unlock the cable by using the "emergency" unlock toggle in the boot, so far that has worked every time🤞

I feel your pain on this one.

Instead of getting my phone out of my pocket, loading the app and pressing unlock then waiting for it to do it...

I just open the passenger door and press unlock on the charging screen (which is showing constantly until you unplug).

On these cold mornings with the car warming in advance you'll find that the car is therefore already awake so the app connects more or less instantly. I guarantee that I can unlock and unplug that way quicker than I can open the door and use the car screen. However, all methods work so each to his own!

Reactions: Js1977 and Nick77
If you’ve reached the end of the charge, ie at your set limit, then the plug unlocks when you unlock the car. At least mine does. Not always possible if the battery has lost a bit since the charge ended.

Isn't that only on CCS/DC charging? If not, the that is a very recent addition as the CCS unlock wasn't too long ago.

On a Model 3, Type2/AC still requires the charge port to be manually unlocked by whatever means (I believe Model S and X have a separate unlock button within the charge port area, but maybe US spec only) although if it did work as described above, so long as the car was unlocked, it would be a very useful addition for many. I don't think phone in range would work as that doesn't necessarily mean car is awake at that point, but a light tap/movement of rear passenger door handle is enough to wake (unlock?) the car without opening the door as long as it is not frozen.

Most of the time charging at home, my 4hrs overnight doesn’t give enough to reach my 90% limit, but more recently when it has, I’ve noticed I can remove the AC plug from the car once unlocked without having to press on the screen or the app. I’ve got a Zappi, which shows a charge complete status on the screen when the car has reached the limit - I wonder if that does something to the comms signal which causes the car to release the plug when it’s unlocked?

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Most of the time charging at home, my 4hrs overnight doesn’t give enough to reach my 90% limit, but more recently when it has, I’ve noticed I can remove the AC plug from the car once unlocked without having to press on the screen or the app. I’ve got a Zappi, which shows a charge complete status on the screen when the car has reached the limit - I wonder if that does something to the comms signal which causes the car to release the plug when it’s unlocked?

To clarify, are you saying when you have reached your charge limit only that the plug is unlatched if you have unlocked the car?

To clarify, are you saying when you have reached your charge limit only that the plug is unlatched if you have unlocked the car?
Yes, that is what happened. Car charged, charge completed, car went to sleep. In the morning I unlocked the car, it woke and the cable released without any other intervention. Happened a few times. Not sure if it still does it as I’ve not reached my charge limit recently. Can’t remember what software it was on at the time as it seems be updating every one to two weeks at the moment..

Maybe just a weird anomaly in my car if it hasn’t happened to anyone else.