Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you know? (Charge port open/close/unlatch debate)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tested. Car asleep (confirmed with Teslamate). Walked up to it. Pressed the charging icon on the iPhone widget and the port unlocked instantly before the app had even loaded properly and car still waking up for the app (with Wi-Fi and mobile data on) so yes, it is 100% using bluetooth to unlock the charge port if you are close enough. Try using the iPhone widget instead of opening the app up.
Thanks, I will test with the widget. Using the app it has never worked for me until the car wakes up, although admittedly I haven't tested with recent app/car builds.

Reactions: Tenatious
Just tested. Car asleep (confirmed with Teslamate). Walked up to it. Pressed the charging icon on the iPhone widget and the port unlocked instantly before the app had even loaded properly and car still waking up for the app (with Wi-Fi and mobile data on) so yes, it is 100% using bluetooth to unlock the charge port if you are close enough. Try using the iPhone widget instead of opening the app up.
OK, I just tested, and it didn't work as described. :(

Tapping on the lightning bolt on the widget launches the app (I did not know this, but it makes sense -- I'm not a big widget user). I waited a few seconds (I could see the app trying to wake the car) and the port didn't unlock. I then went back to the home screen and re-tapped the lightning bolt on the widget, and on this second launch of the app it did unlock the port. What's not clear is if the first unlock succeeded after the normal 20s delay, or whether it was the 2nd attempt that succeeded. In any case, tapping the lightning bolt and the port instantly unlocking is not what I experienced.

I'll need to test again (next time I have the car plugged in and asleep -- I also have TeslaMate so can confirm when it is asleep).

OK, I just tested, and it didn't work as described. :(

Tapping on the lightning bolt on the widget launches the app (I did not know this, but it makes sense -- I'm not a big widget user). I waited a few seconds (I could see the app trying to wake the car) and the port didn't unlock. I then went back to the home screen and re-tapped the lightning bolt on the widget, and on this second launch of the app it did unlock the port. What's not clear is if the first unlock succeeded after the normal 20s delay, or whether it was the 2nd attempt that succeeded. In any case, tapping the lightning bolt and the port instantly unlocking is not what I experienced.

I'll need to test again (next time I have the car plugged in and asleep -- I also have TeslaMate so can confirm when it is asleep).

Hmm. Very bizarre. What model / year have you got? Wonder if something changed in models as I have a 2021 Model 3 LR delivered in the last couple of weeks.

As an aside... the app keeps saying "Did you know you can press the button on the charge plug to open the port?"

It's a full screen popup that has to be swiped away and it is starting to get on my nerves. Seems to be constantly doing this when I am trying to access the charging functions of the app. Damned annoying. And yes I DID know, because a) I'm not a dummy and b) the bloody app keeps reminding me. I suppose there is no way to disable it.

A smart design would have it pop up a few times then desist (on the grounds that it'd already told me).

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
NFC tag on the inside of the porch door. If the car is asleep, the time taken to unlock/lock the porch door will have woken up the car and unlocked the charge cable.
If I understand correctly you scan the tag with your phone which then triggers the option in the app?
how is that significantly quicker than hitting the button on the widget? If it is quicker surely the app/widget can be improved?