Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you know? (Charge port open/close/unlatch debate)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "gloves for handling dirty cables" usually live on the passenger seat, so I unlock from the screen while getting them out.
My trick is not to handle dirty cables! (Where I park and charge is not overlooked and with space to unplug and sling the cable just holding the socket connector ... the cable is not coiled up every time ... just lies on the ground but out of the way, so gets a little less wear and tear too maybe ... makes plugging in and out super-quick!)

dumb question as I await my MY, but if the car is unlocked can I not simply press the charging port door for it to open? That's what I've done on the previous 2 EVs I've owned!
The debate is about how to get the car to unlock the port when the charge cable is plugged in. The options are:
- Own a Tesla Wall Connector, which has a button that will trigger the car to unlock the port
- Use the Tesla app (or a third-party app) -- slow but reasonably reliable if you're patient
- Open the car and unlock the charge port from the screen (I find this incredibly inconvenient, for some reason I can never spot the correct button to touch)
- Retrofit your non-Tesla EVSE ("charger") with a special third-party cable that has the same button as the Tesla Wall Connector has -- this ends up costing at least as much as the fob below plus requires some handiness to replace the cable
- Buy the £150 Tesla fob
- Jerry-rig a system using IoT buttons or NFC tags, your phone, an app or an API call to trigger the port to unlock

Reactions: Cossa
How slow is "slow" when using the app on a phone? Ie say I lock the front door, open the app, unlock the car then immediately unlock the charging port, would it be then unlocked by the the time I walked from my front door to the car? Say 10 paces??

How slow is "slow" when using the app on a phone? Ie say I lock the front door, open the app, unlock the car then immediately unlock the charging port, would it be then unlocked by the the time I walked from my front door to the car? Say 10 paces??
The slowness is “how long does it take to wake the car when you launch the app”. This can easily be a good 20-30 seconds before you can then interact with the unlock port button. So: phone out of pocket, unlock phone, find Tesla app and launch it, wait 20-30 seconds (if the car is asleep), press unlock port button. I just timed my Model 3, and it took 23 seconds to wake the car from launching the app. The fob and Tesla cable button are instant (I assume they use Bluetooth).

Certainly the first-est of first world problems!

Reactions: kitenski
The slowness is “how long does it take to wake the car when you launch the app”. This can easily be a good 20-30 seconds before you can then interact with the unlock port button. So: phone out of pocket, unlock phone, find Tesla app and launch it, wait 20-30 seconds (if the car is asleep), press unlock port button. I just timed my Model 3, and it took 23 seconds to wake the car from launching the app. The fob and Tesla cable button are instant (I assume they use Bluetooth).

But don’t certain functions operate over Bluetooth when in range and so don’t require the car to wake up with the app. Wouldn’t surprise me if the charge unlock wasn’t one of the ones that works over Bluetooth.

Reactions: tj333

Yes this is exactly the problem - it takes ages - so long that I wonder if it's broken.

I can understand that you can't just unlock the charge port when you unlock the car. If the charge hasn't finished then you need to do something to stop the current flow before you pull the plug out. But if the app takes this long getting its regular car connection then maybe the app could use bluetooth for this function like the key-fob does.

In fact several app functions would really benefit from a bit of a speed up.

Aside from this niggle the phone key works seamlessly for me - I wouldn't carry around a fob even if it was free. (I saw someone using a remote keyfob to unlock a car recently and the whole lock/unlock business struck me as really old fashioned)

If I'm plugged in then I'm going to have the car warming up before I get in anyway ... so the car is awake already and the app connects immediately.

Try it again without disabling wifi and mobile data (and without the car being awake already).
Just tested. Car asleep (confirmed with Teslamate). Walked up to it. Pressed the charging icon on the iPhone widget and the port unlocked instantly before the app had even loaded properly and car still waking up for the app (with Wi-Fi and mobile data on) so yes, it is 100% using bluetooth to unlock the charge port if you are close enough. Try using the iPhone widget instead of opening the app up.

• Helpful
Reactions: rotor2k