Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you PPF your new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saved money and put PPF on myself, it didn't turnout as good as professional job, but with the money I saved I was able to get ceramic coat.;)
(Ok so this isn't mine, but I came across this Model S at a Supercharger and couldn't stop laughing)
Tesla Model S with BAD WRAP.jpg

I saved money and put PPF on myself, it didn't turnout as good as professional job, but with the money I saved I was able to get ceramic coat.;)
(Ok so this isn't mine, but I came across this Model S at a Supercharger and couldn't stop laughing)
View attachment 626965
Assuming that it's waiting to get PPF'd, @XLR82XS would most definitely approve.

Yes, Tesla paint is not great, but I find it to be average, not the worst. I plan to do the front as soon as I can, because I have done it on another daily driver and saw what a huge difference it makes.
It is also about pride of ownership. If you plan to sell the car in a few years, maybe you don’t care, though resale value might improve if it looks nicer. It might be less expensive to repaint and hope it matches or just accept less for the car. If you plan to keep it, you essentially amortize the cost over the years. Again, this only matters if you care about how the car looks, how often you drive it, city versus highway, etc.
I like cars and I love this one, so I enjoy looking at it and want it to look as good as I can keep it. If I could afford it, I’d get the whole car done and maybe change the color at the same time.

Having my new blue Model 3 done in a couple weeks - basically full front including headlights and side mirrors. I inspected a white Model 3 the installer was just finishing up the XPEL install on, and realized when I had to ask which panels he had already done, it was effectively invisible. Unlike "clear bra" products from the 2000's, there was no ripply orange peel texture or yellow cast. If anything, the reflection of the PPF film was ever so slightly smoother than the naked paint.

I debated for several days before booking the appointment. I like to keep my cars looking sharp and like-new. The lack of a grill and trim on the front combined with the low hood pushed me in the direction of installing PPF. I think rock chips are less noticeable on conventional cars that have all that trim, vents, grills, and creases to distract the eye. There is a lot of debris on the highways around where I am at right now (Phoenix area), and masses of desert bugs come out at sunset. I expect the PPF to not only protect the paint, but making it a bit less arduous to clean the bugs off the front after an evening drive.

All that said, I'm not expecting the PPF to add any significant value to the car when it's time to say goodbye... it's strictly for my own enjoyment. You can save some cash by doing just the bumper, doing it yourself, or even just using one of the modern chip fix kits like Tesla sells on an as-needed basis. No right answer, that's for sure!

Yes. DIY easy areas, get a pro to do bumpers/fenders/anything overly shapely. I plan(ned?) to keep the car as long as possible. Sure a respray costs this & that, but 1) a respray to match or exceed OEM quality definitely costs more than PPF, 2) do you really want to look at the car in *sugar* shape until you get a respray done? Which you will never do? That's how the rot sets in.