TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did you PPF your new Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by NeoMatrix1217, Jan 11, 2021.

1. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Technically, it's PAINT chips.

2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Indeed - ESPECAILLY with sub-par Tesla paint.

• Like x 1
  3. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I saved money and put PPF on myself, it didn't turnout as good as professional job, but with the money I saved I was able to get ceramic coat.;)
    (Ok so this isn't mine, but I came across this Model S at a Supercharger and couldn't stop laughing)
    Tesla Model S with BAD WRAP.jpg

• Funny x 7
  4. KenC

KenC Active Member

Assuming that it's waiting to get PPF'd, @XLR82XS would most definitely approve.

• Like x 2
  5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I think the bigger issue is how wimpy paint is :(

• Like x 2
  6. Mattopotamus

Mattopotamus Member

That is the real issue. I've never seen paint chip as easily as a Tesla.

• Love x 1
  7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I'm not calling out tesla, but yea, they have crap paint. But all car paint, is just paint, and a few rocks makes fast work of wrecking it.

• Like x 1
  8. UncertainTimes

That literally looks like straight up Saran Wrap

9. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

100% ;)

10. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

It's terrrible..... I own lots of cars - it's the worst of the lot.

11. rensupreme

rensupreme Member

Does insurance cover reapplying of PPF if you get in an accident that requires repair or replacing of the areas where PPF has been applied?

12. Gvardaman

Gvardaman Member

Yes, Tesla paint is not great, but I find it to be average, not the worst. I plan to do the front as soon as I can, because I have done it on another daily driver and saw what a huge difference it makes.
    It is also about pride of ownership. If you plan to sell the car in a few years, maybe you don’t care, though resale value might improve if it looks nicer. It might be less expensive to repaint and hope it matches or just accept less for the car. If you plan to keep it, you essentially amortize the cost over the years. Again, this only matters if you care about how the car looks, how often you drive it, city versus highway, etc.
    I like cars and I love this one, so I enjoy looking at it and want it to look as good as I can keep it. If I could afford it, I’d get the whole car done and maybe change the color at the same time.

13. Ampre Sand

Ampre Sand Member

Having my new blue Model 3 done in a couple weeks - basically full front including headlights and side mirrors. I inspected a white Model 3 the installer was just finishing up the XPEL install on, and realized when I had to ask which panels he had already done, it was effectively invisible. Unlike "clear bra" products from the 2000's, there was no ripply orange peel texture or yellow cast. If anything, the reflection of the PPF film was ever so slightly smoother than the naked paint.

I debated for several days before booking the appointment. I like to keep my cars looking sharp and like-new. The lack of a grill and trim on the front combined with the low hood pushed me in the direction of installing PPF. I think rock chips are less noticeable on conventional cars that have all that trim, vents, grills, and creases to distract the eye. There is a lot of debris on the highways around where I am at right now (Phoenix area), and masses of desert bugs come out at sunset. I expect the PPF to not only protect the paint, but making it a bit less arduous to clean the bugs off the front after an evening drive.

All that said, I'm not expecting the PPF to add any significant value to the car when it's time to say goodbye... it's strictly for my own enjoyment. You can save some cash by doing just the bumper, doing it yourself, or even just using one of the modern chip fix kits like Tesla sells on an as-needed basis. No right answer, that's for sure!

14. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

Yes, at least in my case. I have had two minor accidents. In both situations, the cost to remove the old PPF and replace it with new PPF was covered by insurance.

• Informative x 3
  15. Flyguy3

Flyguy3 Member

I had insurance cover the cost of PPF for hail damage on a Toyota. I’m guessing it would depend on your coverage, etc.

• Informative x 1
  16. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

Yes. DIY easy areas, get a pro to do bumpers/fenders/anything overly shapely. I plan(ned?) to keep the car as long as possible. Sure a respray costs this & that, but 1) a respray to match or exceed OEM quality definitely costs more than PPF, 2) do you really want to look at the car in *sugar* shape until you get a respray done? Which you will never do? That's how the rot sets in.

17. MoparGuy

MoparGuy Member

It's something I found very famous among Tesla owners, I get it on GT2 RS but not on LR M3!, maybe on an appreciating car, I feel very sorry for those who spend $3k-$5K to apply it and then trade their cars next year, why????

18. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes.

19. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Some people aren't trading their cars in a year. FWIW I didn't spend anywhere close to 3-5K on PPF.

• Like x 1
  20. asian_xl

asian_xl Member

I PPFed only the front, fenders and mirrors

• Like x 1