Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you PPF your new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a 2021 Tesla in Blue on Dec 31st and been reading that people recommended doing a PPF to the car. I plan on doing a 400-mile trip and wonder if I should wait until I get the PPF or it will be OK to take it on the trip without messing up the front of the car?
Thanks

Personally I didn't get PPF. I just didn't understand the point of paying $5-7K to protect $2K of paint on a $50K car (and this from someone who never really had a nice car before my Model 3)

However, if you are going to spend the money on PPF, it seems that most recommend getting it done as soon as possible. While the odds of something happening are low, think of how terrible you would feel to get a chip in the paint before getting the PPF installed.

There is no one right answer. Some people see PPF as a waste of money. Others believe a partial PPF on a Model 3 is a must. I personally chose to do a full car PPF, as I plan to keep my P3D 8-10 years and park it outside 24/7. And I was truly blown away by the self healing properties of PPF. No wax, sealant, or ceramic coating on the market has the self-healing capabilities of PPF.

If you don't have time to have your PPF installed before your road trip, there is a temporary option. Xpel makes a temporary film called Tracwrap. As the name suggests, it is designed to be applied before a visit to the track and then removed. I don't know if it can be used for an extended road trip, but you can check it out:

XPEL | Paint Protection Film | TRACWRAP | DIY Temporary Abrasion Protection

I just took delivery of a 2021 Tesla in Blue on Dec 31st and been reading that people recommended doing a PPF to the car. I plan on doing a 400-mile trip and wonder if I should wait until I get the PPF or it will be OK to take it on the trip without messing up the front of the car?
Thanks
I picked up the same day as you, and I'm going to DIY it, after Tesla fixes some issues found at delivery (in the mean time, it's garaged). I have done some film on other surfaces in my home (window and mirrors), so I feel like it's worth trying (worst case I take it off). If I had to get it professionally done (especially full car), I would have rather spent the money on a color change vinyl wrap (and instead order the free included white color instead of Midnight Silver).

As others point out, the front bumper and hood will take a bulk of the rock damage (also the case in my old non-Tesla car). You can save money by doing those only. The link above with a temporary film might be a good idea.

I did do a short drive with my car and noticed that it already got road grime (which I washed off quickly) all along the rocker panel and also onto the rear bumper near the wheel wells. Looks like some mud flaps may be a good idea also (or doing PPF in those areas). I believe Tesla sells some that don't need drilling (attaches at points already on car) and some third party options are the same. I did read warnings about the molded third party flaps which may scratch the paint given the molded portions touch the paint.

Did XPEL PPF on the front bumper, headlights, and side mirrors. Was roughly $600. Not only does it protect and give me peace of mind, but it also makes wiping off bugs or road rash easy. And without fear of damaging the paint in doing so. Its self-healing in the sunlight. Pretty awesome stuff and glad I did it.

File_000 (2).jpeg

I did a DIY partial, 2/3rd hood, front fender, front bumper, mirror cups, doors and rockers for about $900. It was worth it, but the front bumper was so so hard to do.

Attachments

• 26457194-2E01-46CA-AE02-9E2E37B66309.jpeg
    26457194-2E01-46CA-AE02-9E2E37B66309.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: joebruin77
I got a white car and knew it would be very hard to match the paint for touch up so I did the full front including fenders and mirrors along with the side rockers and up in front of the rear wheels, small piece behind the rear wheels as well. I'm happy I did it. got a small tear in the front already which would have probably been a nice chip had I not had it.

Reactions: joebruin77
I got a white car and knew it would be very hard to match the paint for touch up so I did the full front including fenders and mirrors along with the side rockers and up in front of the rear wheels, small piece behind the rear wheels as well. I'm happy I did it. got a small tear in the front already which would have probably been a nice chip had I not had it.

I have XPEL for the entire front and rocker panels. Nicks in the pain on red looks bad. There is a red Model 3 in my neighborhood that doesn't have the PPF and its looks horrible...like someone blasted it with a shotgun. PPF is worth every penny.