Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you PPF your new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did, post #16. The front bumper is really really hard. Other parts are fairly easy for a DIYer. For the bumper, you need time, patience, and another person helping to handle the large piece. I used 3M Scotchgard Pro from invisiblemask.com.

Oh thanks! Missed your post. Yeah it looks hard, wondering if its better to take the bumper off to do it. You did the full hood and fenders I am assuming for 900?

We got the white, so it won’t seem as bad, but I am convinced the front needs some protection. Now after seeing that pic, lppks like the rocker panels do too!
I hate that feeling when you are driving along and hit a patch of gravel or sand and hear thousands of hits... it seems like they go right through you.
The Cybertruck will be so much easier in this regard!

I spent $20 on Amazon for a small roll of PPF and just used it to cover the door sill kick plates and little strips under my mud flaps. Other than that I skipped PPFing anything else. After a year now and 12000 miles with three 1400 mile trips up to the mountains (lots of gravel roads there) I’ve only found two tiny pinhole size “chips” in the front bumper. Might be because I don’t trail behind other cars very close but I’ve never had any of my sports cars ever get enough chips to be noticeable (usually keep them for 10+ years, 100k+ Miles also). Probably will invest in a paint chip repair kit from Tesla or one of the generics if the chips become noticeable.

Oh thanks! Missed your post. Yeah it looks hard, wondering if its better to take the bumper off to do it. You did the full hood and fenders I am assuming for 900?
30” of hood and fenders. Front bumper, doors and rockers.

I started with easy flattish pieces like the hood, then doors and rockers, then fender. Mirror cups and front bumper are the curviest and require the most stretching and effort, so were last.

I paid $1,300 for XPEL. That included everything forward of the windshield, as well as the mirrors, door handles, rocker panels and the luggage lip on the rear bumper. All in all, I'm super impressed and as soon as I repair a big ass scratch on the 4Runner's grill, I'll do that vehicle too.

Reactions: KenC
I was lucky to get a great group deal through work so I got a full wrap. Unfortunately I had to wait until after a road trip for my appointment and ended up with some small chips. Other than that it has been pretty great. I even had someone bang their door into my car and it scuffed the ppf but some water and sun and you can't see anything anymore. I'd like to say it made me less paranoid about getting dings and rock chips, but that isn't really true :)

I can't think of a car in 10 years that I haven't installed PPF. IMO is necessary for any driving, but on a Tesla it is a must. I have never seen such poor clear coat, especially on my new M3P 2021. I drove it straight back to my shop from picking it up to spend a couple months getting everything done to it, however, there were already 5 or 6 small chips in the rockers and doors from only 100 miles (the multicoat red looks great, but it needs PPF). Personally, I'm not sure if I would pay to have someone do it, the cost is up there and I would rather put the month into the multitude of other mods (suspension, wheels, PPF, carbon upgrades, etc.), but I will always do it myself.

I wrapped everything back to the rear wheels, then made special sections behind the rear wheels (lower valence). Though I have done many cars, this one I wanted to look really good. I think I spent about $1500 in PPF material from invisiblemask.com (3M Scotchgard Pro), love the company and this 3M material. As others have said, it isn't something to do yourself if you are not technically inclined, nor if you have not done this before. Most of the panels were simple - doors, rockers, hood, etc. are invisible and look perfect. The front bumper was one of the more difficult bumpers I have done, but did turn out great. I think I had more trouble getting proper switched 12v source inside the car for my radar detector than working on the PPF.

Love the car. Can't wait for spring here in Michigan.

Attachments

• 20210110_144922.jpg
    20210110_144922.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210110_144939.jpg
    20210110_144939.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210110_144956.jpg
    20210110_144956.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 70
I got the entire front PPFd and the whole car ceramic coated for $3200. For me it was worth it since I plan to keep the car for a long time. With 1700 miles driven so far, there is not one chip of ding on it. Again, it's personal, just like the choice in paint color. The $2000 cost for the red paint was worth it for me.

• Love
Reactions: XLR82XS and KenC
Just noticed today while cleaning my 2021 Model 3, the lower faces of the rocker panels have some kind of PPF from the factory their entire length. It is soft enough to leave a fingernail impression in. The upper edge is beveled or tapered making me wonder if it is a sprayed on product rather than a cut film.

Just noticed today while cleaning my 2021 Model 3, the lower faces of the rocker panels have some kind of PPF from the factory their entire length. It is soft enough to leave a fingernail impression in. The upper edge is beveled or tapered making me wonder if it is a sprayed on product rather than a cut film.

thats not PPF. It’s just a different paint tesla uses down low.

I can't think of a car in 10 years that I haven't installed PPF. IMO is necessary for any driving, but on a Tesla it is a must. I have never seen such poor clear coat, especially on my new M3P 2021. I drove it straight back to my shop from picking it up to spend a couple months getting everything done to it, however, there were already 5 or 6 small chips in the rockers and doors from only 100 miles (the multicoat red looks great, but it needs PPF). Personally, I'm not sure if I would pay to have someone do it, the cost is up there and I would rather put the month into the multitude of other mods (suspension, wheels, PPF, carbon upgrades, etc.), but I will always do it myself.

I wrapped everything back to the rear wheels, then made special sections behind the rear wheels (lower valence). Though I have done many cars, this one I wanted to look really good. I think I spent about $1500 in PPF material from invisiblemask.com (3M Scotchgard Pro), love the company and this 3M material. As others have said, it isn't something to do yourself if you are not technically inclined, nor if you have not done this before. Most of the panels were simple - doors, rockers, hood, etc. are invisible and look perfect. The front bumper was one of the more difficult bumpers I have done, but did turn out great. I think I had more trouble getting proper switched 12v source inside the car for my radar detector than working on the PPF.

Love the car. Can't wait for spring here in Michigan.
I like the carbon fiber dash wrap -- where'd you get it from and how difficult was this for a DIY?

All depends on your use case.

Houston has a metric crap ton of debris on the roads. In the little over 2 years I've owned a Model 3, I've replaced one windshield and repaired four chips / cracks. I had a lampshade fall off a truck and ran that over....PPF saved it. I've had several large rocks penetrate the PPF but not the paint. And numerous, numerous small rock impacts that have not made it through the PPF. For me, $1,200 on front end PPF (bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors) was WELL worth it. My old Lexus ended up hitting a road gator. Had I had PPF, likely I would have been just removing the PPF at the end of the lease. Instead I had to paint it.

I also drive on the order of 25k miles / year if not more.

I have a 911 for the weekends that was, considerably more expensive than my Model 3 and yet I don't have PPF on it. Why? I simply don't drive it enough and when I do, it's not during commuting hours where I'm in heavy traffic stuck behind all manner of trucks, etc. The probability of road detritus it much lower.

If you don't drive a lot, or drive where there isn't a lot of debris, I totally understand why you wouldn't get it.

Last edited:
Having my new blue Model 3 done in a couple weeks - basically full front including headlights and side mirrors. I inspected a white Model 3 the installer was just finishing up the XPEL install on, and realized when I had to ask which panels he had already done, it was effectively invisible. Unlike "clear bra" products from the 2000's, there was no ripply orange peel texture or yellow cast. If anything, the reflection of the PPF film was ever so slightly smoother than the naked paint.

I debated for several days before booking the appointment. I like to keep my cars looking sharp and like-new. The lack of a grill and trim on the front combined with the low hood pushed me in the direction of installing PPF. I think rock chips are less noticeable on conventional cars that have all that trim, vents, grills, and creases to distract the eye. There is a lot of debris on the highways around where I am at right now (Phoenix area), and masses of desert bugs come out at sunset. I expect the PPF to not only protect the paint, but making it a bit less arduous to clean the bugs off the front after an evening drive.

All that said, I'm not expecting the PPF to add any significant value to the car when it's time to say goodbye... it's strictly for my own enjoyment. You can save some cash by doing just the bumper, doing it yourself, or even just using one of the modern chip fix kits like Tesla sells on an as-needed basis. No right answer, that's for sure!

I'm in the same area and still debating. do you expect phx to have more rocks flying around than other parts of the country?
what do you think of dust storms?