Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase a service loaner? 50K mile warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I bought a service loaner from Tesla with 4020K miles on it. Since it was never registered it is titled as new and that is the odometer mileage on the title document.

Is my 50K mileage warranty actually up when the car hits 54K? or 50K?

You'd think I'd be able to get a quick answer from Tesla but I haven't heard back a couple of times I've tried.

I bought a service loaner from Tesla with 4020K miles on it. Since it was never registered it is titled as new and that is the odometer mileage on the title document.

You'd think I'd be able to get a quick answer from Tesla but I haven't heard back a couple of times I've tried.
I have nothing specifically in writing that says so, but every time I've asked Tesla to confirm my warranty duration, they've provided a date/mileage 4yr/50k miles from the date/mileage of my delivery, i.e. 8/2021 & 57,750 miles for my 2016 showroom X.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Interesting point/find by ucmndd. It indicates that the warranty started when Tesla started using it.

We should look up what the actual warranty says, not what we imagine. Then we’d know for sure. ;)
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
When Does the Warranty Period Begin and End?
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is delivered by Tesla to the first retail or corporate purchaser(s) or lessor(s), or the day it is first put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or company vehicle), whichever comes first, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty as described in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Parts repaired or replaced, including replacement of the vehicle, under this New Vehicle Limited Warranty are covered only until the applicable warranty period of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty ends, or as otherwise provided by applicable law.
So it sounds like it’s from the date it entered service as a demo/loaner, up to 50k miles.

Tesla got back to me via email. 50K
-----
Thank you for contacting us with your question about your New Vehicle Warranty. Your vehicle is protected by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf) for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can find more information about the warranty and what is covered here (Vehicle Warranty). If you have any additional questions or need any further assistance, please let us know.
-----

Tesla got back to me via email. 50K
-----
Thank you for contacting us with your question about your New Vehicle Warranty. Your vehicle is protected by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf) for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can find more information about the warranty and what is covered here (Vehicle Warranty). If you have any additional questions or need any further assistance, please let us know.
-----
I'm still not convinced. My service advisor read my warranty expiration off their system as 50k from my delivery mileage. I had specifically asked about the wording in the warranty document. Guess I'll find out when I try to get something covered after 50k. That sounds like a pretty generic response, although I admit it wouldn't be the first time Tesla gave incorrect information.

I'm still not convinced. My service advisor read my warranty expiration off their system as 50k from my delivery mileage. I had specifically asked about the wording in the warranty document. Guess I'll find out when I try to get something covered after 50k. That sounds like a pretty generic response, although I admit it wouldn't be the first time Tesla gave incorrect information.
Tesla's response matches there document tho. Why do you think it is different than the document: New Vehicle Limited Warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf)

When Does the Warranty Period Begin and End?
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty begins on the first day a new vehicle is delivered by Tesla to the first retail or corporate purchaser(s) or lessor(s), or the day it is first put into service (for example used as a demonstrator or company vehicle), whichever comes first, and provides coverage for the period based on the specified warranty as described in the Warranty Coverage section of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Tesla's response matches there document tho. Why do you think it is different than the document: New Vehicle Limited Warranty (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf)
Only because my SA read off the expiration of my warranty from their system as 9/2021 instead of 12/2020, without me telling them when I purchased my vehicle. It's far from definitive and obviously the wording in the warranty doc seems to indicate otherwise, but every time I've asked the person looking at my information in the system, the warranty expiration has been based on my purchase date.

While I cannot disagree with the terms provided in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, I will point out that it does appear inconsistent with the terms presently provided on the listing page for new inventory vehicles: "Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through September 2027" (this is for a listing appearing today). The listing terms certainly indicate a buyer should expect their warranty to begin on the date they take delivery as to opposed to when Tesla started using the vehicle.

Reactions: scottf200
While I cannot disagree with the terms provided in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, I will point out that it does appear inconsistent with the terms presently provided on the listing page for new inventory vehicles: "Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through September 2027" (this is for a listing appearing today). The listing terms certainly indicate a buyer should expect their warranty to begin on the date they take delivery as to opposed to when Tesla started using the vehicle.
Thank you, I knew I'd read it somewhere but couldn't recall where.

My impression is that the warranty doc was based on a standard automotive warranty template which factors in service loaners and demos that are registered to a dealership.

The vehicle may never have been registered and may have been titled as new, but it was not unused. Warranties are keyed to time and mileage ... your vehicle has accumulated both.

Presumably, you paid less for a loaner vehicle than you would pay for a new vehicle because it is used. Part of that use is physical, i.e., it was loaned out and driven, but part of it is that some of the warranty was consumed by time and mileage.

It seems you should expect the same as if you bought a used vehicle, i.e., in exchange for a lower price compared to a new vehicle you purchase a vehicle with accumulation of time and mileage, plus only the residual of the original warranty. Worst case ... you could buy either a loaner or a used vehicle with no remaining warranty as it was fully consumed.

The vehicle may never have been registered and may have been titled as new, but it was not unused. Warranties are keyed to time and mileage ... your vehicle has accumulated both.

Presumably, you paid less for a loaner vehicle than you would pay for a new vehicle because it is used. Part of that use is physical, i.e., it was loaned out and driven, but part of it is that some of the warranty was consumed by time and mileage.

It seems you should expect the same as if you bought a used vehicle, i.e., in exchange for a lower price compared to a new vehicle you purchase a vehicle with accumulation of time and mileage, plus only the residual of the original warranty. Worst case ... you could buy either a loaner or a used vehicle with no remaining warranty as it was fully consumed.
Well I agree with you, that's not the information Tesla gives when you buy a showroom car. Both the page listing the vehicle and the Tesla representatives present the full warranty duration/range.