Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage?

Did you purchase the Extended Warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had numerous repairs to include drive unit replacement, sunroof replacement, motor mounts replaced multiple times, and even the front windshield replaced due to the layers of glass delaminating among multiple other issues. Needless to say I will be buying the extended coverage.

Be sure to read the fine print first. Drive unit replacement would be part of the separate 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Windshield (and probably sun roof) is not covered by the Extended Service Agreement. Whatever repairs you may need in the extra 50,000 miles / 4 years may or may not be worth less than $4000 + $200/service + required maintenance every 12,500 miles. It certainly doesn't make sense for those of us who put miles on quickly. (The ESA would require that I have an annual maintenance every 3 months or so.)

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Be sure to read the fine print first. Drive unit replacement would be part of the separate 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Windshield (and probably sun roof) is not covered by the Extended Service Agreement. Whatever repairs you may need in the extra 50,000 miles / 4 years may or may not be worth less than $4000 + $200/service + required maintenance every 12,500 miles. It certainly doesn't make sense for those of us who put miles on quickly. (The ESA would require that I have an annual maintenance every 3 months or so.)

So the extended warranty only remains in force if we have the maintenance done regularly but the regular 4 year warranty will remain in force even without having Tesla service the vehicle during the first four years?

Just wondering how it works since I am interested in the Model 3.

Thanks.

Seems it makes sense to get the extended warranty just when the factory warranty is about to end and the car never being brought to a service center for maintenance inspection. :)

Good question, and perhaps you should ask a lawyer or Service Center to answer (in writing ;) )...

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."

As far as the Model 3 goes, they probably won't offer an ESA. (I don't believe they offer one for the Model X.)

• Informative

This windshield bit is boilerplate for almost all warranties. It means that damaged windshield is not covered. However a manufacturer's flaw, such as de-lamination, probably is.

Good question, and perhaps you should ask a lawyer or Service Center to answer (in writing ;) )...

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."

As far as the Model 3 goes, they probably won't offer an ESA. (I don't believe they offer one for the Model X.)

Again, the language regarding complying with maintenance intervals is boilerplate, and I'm sure that Tesla's lawyers again glommed it from every other warranty ever written.

Tesla has been somewhat vague about this, however I've been told numerous times by Tesla service that annual service is NOT mandatory, and failure to get it does NOT void ESA unless failure to get prompt service is direct cause of a problem. So, let's say your door handles pr sun roof go out. There's nothing in annual service that touches them, so they'd be covered under ESA. However if your rotors got messed up because brake pads were not changed - and if that were on annual service checklist (not saying it is, just making up example), then they'd have every right to waive from ESA.

My experience is that they are reasonable on these things.

• Informative
Be sure to read the fine print first. Drive unit replacement would be part of the separate 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Windshield (and probably sun roof) is not covered by the Extended Service Agreement. Whatever repairs you may need in the extra 50,000 miles / 4 years may or may not be worth less than $4000 + $200/service + required maintenance every 12,500 miles. It certainly doesn't make sense for those of us w ho put miles on quickly. (The ESA would require that I have an annual maintenance every 3 months or so.)

I don't think you have to follow the 12.5K mileage as you can also use the 1 year service interval per Tesla... see below. :cool:

Good question, and perhaps you should ask a lawyer or Service Center to answer (in writing ;) )... https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA." As far as the Model 3 goes, they probably won't offer an ESA. (I don't believe they offer one for the Model X.)

Here is the list of specifically excluded items on the ESA from Tesla: :eek:

Other Parts not covered:
Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);

This windshield bit is boilerplate for almost all warranties. It means that damaged windshield is not covered. However a manufacturer's flaw, such as de-lamination, probably is. Again, the language regarding complying with maintenance intervals is boilerplate, and I'm sure that Tesla's lawyers again glommed it from every other warranty ever written.

Tesla has been somewhat vague about this, however I've been told numerous times by Tesla service that annual service is NOT mandatory, and failure to get it does NOT void ESA unless failure to get prompt service is direct cause of a problem. So, let's say your door handles pr sun roof go out. There's nothing in annual service that touches them, so they'd be covered under ESA. However if your rotors got messed up because brake pads were not changed - and if that were on annual service checklist (not saying it is, just making up example), then they'd have every right to waive from ESA. My experience is that they are reasonable on these things.

• Informative
Here is the list of specifically excluded items on the ESA from Tesla: :eek:

Other Parts not covered:
Bright metal, sheet metal, bumpers, ornamentation moldings, carpet, upholstery, paint, shock absorbers, 12V battery, battery cables, lenses, light bulbs, sealed beams, glass (e.g., windshield), wheels, interior trim, body seals and gaskets (e.g., weather stripping);

Right. Every one of those items subject to normal wear and tear (except windshield which is subject to pebbles and bumper/bright/sheet metal which is subject to accident damage or road hazards). Point is, this and any other extended warranty cover defects or failures, not road hazard damage, accident damage, or normal wear and tear. This is not unusual to Tesla. Look at ANY other extended warranty.

No, it was. That's my point. I wish I was one of those that has never had an issue, but I have had lots. That's why I am going to go for ESA.
Yes, and as I said in earlier post, I truly believe what they mean by glass exception in ESA is pebbles and such. I think a structural flaw like delamination they would cover under esa. And if a specific service center tried to deny, I believe it could be successfully escalated.

With my BMW, I'd probably still own it had I bought the extended warranty. In 2013 it needed $3300 worth of repairs from February through September; and if it wasn't for a 2-year parts warranty on the thrice-replaced evaporator core, it would have been $5300. That's more in service than a lease payment for a cheap 3-series. I got rid of it rather than make all the repairs.

Fast forward, with Tesla being the only game in town for repairs, I figure it's something I will buy eventually (I have time to see). But considering the service plan is required, that brings the price up to $6100, before deductibles which is definitely steep. I look at that as 10%-20% of the price of a new Model 3 (depending on how you equip it), which will be out by then and have its own new vehicle warranty!

The other thing that I have to consider, is that I bought an inventory car with 40k miles on it. So my ESA would actually cover miles 90,000 - 140,000, which might change what is likely to fail over time and the value to me buying the warranty.