Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you tint the windows on your M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a white interior M3 and I think I'm going to jump ship and tint my windows.
I'm getting burnt by the sun and feel naked in my car.

Any recs for a place in Sydney? I'm willing to travel to get someone good.

I have a Red/White 3P and felt the same about the white seats. They are great, but were super visible from outside the car. I had SunTek CIR 40 Black on the sides and Suntek Carbon 38 Black on the rear. I specifically asked for the rear to be single piece, which I gather is a bit more difficult due to the size. I had them done in Melbourne, so can't comment on Sydney installers.

I have a white interior M3 and I think I'm going to jump ship and tint my windows. I'm getting burnt by the sun and feel naked in my car. Any recs for a place in Sydney? I'm willing to travel to get someone good.
I found tinting the side windows (35%) made a massive difference to how hot it feels in the car. I did not get the roof or back window tinted, and I’m happy with the outcome.

I had tinting done when I had the car ceramic coated by OptiCoat. They subcontract the tinting out to Sydney City Solartint at Banksmeadow. They’ve done a lot of Model 3s and the job looked perfect to me.

I found tinting the side windows (35%) made a massive difference to how hot it feels in the car. I did not get the roof or back window tinted, and I’m happy with the outcome.

Did you get 35% on all four side windows? I thought the max legal was 50% for the front windows.

That's what I've decided to do as well. Opticoat and tint at the same time. I find the red multicoat scratches way too easily.

Did you get 35% on all four side windows? I thought the max legal was 50% for the front windows. That's what I've decided to do as well. Opticoat and tint at the same time. I find the red multicoat scratches way too easily.
Yes 35% on all four windows. That is the darkest legal minimum on the front side windows in NSW. The rear side windows can be done down to 20% (that’s light transmittance) but I wanted front and back to be the same and I think 35% is plenty dark enough.

I also checked Opticoat’s insurance - if you are going to OptiCoat South Sydney, they will drive your car from Alexandria to Banksmeadow to have the tint done, and then back again to do the coating, and your car will stay there overnight. They advised me they are covered to $100k.

That's what I've decided to do as well. Opticoat and tint at the same time. I find the red multicoat scratches way too easily.

I did the same too but be aware you get gouged for the tinting by the detailer even though they subcontract it elsewhere. I had mine done in Melbourne and was charged $600 for side window tint only (ceramic tint) and the job was very poor. I had to return the car back to the tinting place and found out he charges $350 for the same thing directly!

If the convenience is worth to you extra $250 go for it. Also the warranty is then with the detailer as that’s who’s name is on the warranty card. Probably more chance of them going under in business than the tinting place I would have thought too.