TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Did You Upgrade Your Model S during the Waiting Period?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bareyb, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I originally ordered a Blue/Tan 60 with no Pano, no Air shocks, No Parking Assist, and no Super Charger. You can see from my signature, that is not where I ended up. I equally blame the long waiting period and Tex (and a couple of others, you know who you are). :tongue:

So. Did you end up with the same car you originally ordered or did you fall victim to the waiting period and the irresistable lure of the Design Studio?

2. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

I am probably in the minority here :). After a decade of harsh, sporty rides (an M3 and a Z4), I was so ready for a comfy / cushy ride - the 21's were ruled out without the slightest of hesitation. And the 85 was plenty fast for me, so didn't feel the need for a P85. The only thing I really struggled with was the color, but the wifey finally talked me into black. I confirmed my order on the day I placed it, and this shaved off some time - my car was ready in 28 days. Never once thought about changing the order.

3. Reed

Reed Member

Not significantly. I originally ordered a P85+ with nearly every option so there wasn't too much to decide on.

After a week of reading the forums and visiting a Tesla store I added the CF spoiler and fog lights, then confirmed my order.

That being said, I did spend nearly a month figuring out every option I wanted before I put in my original order. In that month timeframe I had considered getting a different model but ended up going with my gut, P85+. I guess you could say I did upgrade in that month before I ordered. :)

4. Kraken

Kraken Member

They came out with the + during my wait, so we upgraded. Probably wouldn't have had this opportunity had I not had to postpone delivery due to a deployment. Surprise benefits.

5. HHHH

HHHH Member

That's awesome that you got that benefit. I ordered mine July 1, just a couple days before the price increase for the warranty, and just a couple weeks before the substantial pricing change. Had I ordered after the price change, it would have cost me about $15k more. I'm glad it worked out the way that it did. I originally test drove and saw the car for the first time on 6/23 and put down my deposit before the test drive. I had already been on the website and knew exactly what I wanted so I didn't change them there on out.

6. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I had not been on the website to configure one until the day I drove down to Marietta, GA for a test drive. Even the test drive was on a whim and a lark. I recently retired and was looking for something the wife and I could do on a nice summer's day. After the test drive the sales person (thanks Cale!!!) walked us through the configuration explaining each of the options. I confirmed on the spot. BUT...I got home and wondered how disappointed I would be if I didn't get the P? After all, this is a car I hope to have for MANY years. Sent an e-mail the next morning to Sales and upgraded.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

barey

In all fairness, I originally when into the process thinking, oh maybe an S. Test drove P+, ordered a P, then upgraded to a +. I'm one of those people who can rationalize any upgrade when it comes to cars :cool:

8. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

I ordered a stacked S85 convincing myself that that's all I needed. I think that is still true, but I decided that I wanted a P85 so I upgraded.

9. MarkR

MarkR Member

I knew what I wanted and got what I wanted.

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Yes, I went from a Pearl White S85 to an MC Red P85. Quite a pendulum swing, I do admit. One night it hit me how much money I was spending, so I decided to go with my heart instead of my head. I haven't regretted!

11. ipryor

ipryor Member

I started with a S85 with 21" on 09/16 and then changed to a P85 with 19" Cyclones a week later :) It's just the way it is. We should get a special badge for upgrading during the order to the Performance version!

12. texex91

texex91 Banned

What! You gave up your 21"....the P is so sweet with 21".

However, you have a great P coming so enjoy!

13. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I passed on the 21" too. They look fantastic, but I thought it might get old buying new tires every 3 months. :D

14. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

My original order was to be a Blue S60 with super charging and primacy tire upgrade with obeche gloss (everything else as in sig). Then I went for my test drive (which was a P) and they had an MC Red waiting to be delivered to a lucky soul. Once I laid eyes on it in person I immediately knew Red was for me. That car happened to have the Piano Black decor with the Black Performance seats. When I saw the two of them together I knew that was a good choice and the offset of the jump from the Blue to the Red was a bonus. When I sat down to order I thought long and hard and chose 85 instead of 60 as I knew in my gut it was the right choice. I waited 24 hours to make sure everything still felt right and confirmed. So maybe that doesn't count since I didn't change my order in the time period after initially ordering but I figure it was close enough. :)

15. texex91

texex91 Banned

Well shame on you barey--JUST KIDDING!!

Easy now--you can get 12K miles if you ride 21" nicely (that's 1.5 years of driving for me).

The + is a different story because you cannot rotate--but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the sticky factor on the grip and handling :biggrin:.

16. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I don't intend to ride nicely. At least not for awhile. ;)

17. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Ordered a 85. Upgraded to a P 16 days later (thanks to tex and bareyb!). Just got offered a delivery date of 10/25. + sounded interesting but not for the extra $13,250 (would need air, 21s also).

18. mpbruin108

mpbruin108 Member

Wow, you are living the same life as I am. I had a M3 in 2010, Z4 in 2012. Then I got the Model S in June of this year. I got the S85 but I feel like I want the P85 now that I've had the loaner for 2 days. I can tell the difference and the acceleration is intoxicating.

19. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

barey you should turn this thread into a poll. I would be curious what percentage of people flip their order configs.

20. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

It won't let me. I think you have to do it at the time your create the post. Good idea though...