Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did You Upgrade Your Model S during the Waiting Period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I originally ordered a Blue/Tan 60 with no Pano, no Air shocks, No Parking Assist, and no Super Charger. You can see from my signature, that is not where I ended up. I equally blame the long waiting period and Tex (and a couple of others, you know who you are). :tongue:

So. Did you end up with the same car you originally ordered or did you fall victim to the waiting period and the irresistable lure of the Design Studio?

I am probably in the minority here :). After a decade of harsh, sporty rides (an M3 and a Z4), I was so ready for a comfy / cushy ride - the 21's were ruled out without the slightest of hesitation. And the 85 was plenty fast for me, so didn't feel the need for a P85. The only thing I really struggled with was the color, but the wifey finally talked me into black. I confirmed my order on the day I placed it, and this shaved off some time - my car was ready in 28 days. Never once thought about changing the order.

Not significantly. I originally ordered a P85+ with nearly every option so there wasn't too much to decide on.

After a week of reading the forums and visiting a Tesla store I added the CF spoiler and fog lights, then confirmed my order.

That being said, I did spend nearly a month figuring out every option I wanted before I put in my original order. In that month timeframe I had considered getting a different model but ended up going with my gut, P85+. I guess you could say I did upgrade in that month before I ordered. :)

They came out with the + during my wait, so we upgraded. Probably wouldn't have had this opportunity had I not had to postpone delivery due to a deployment. Surprise benefits.

That's awesome that you got that benefit. I ordered mine July 1, just a couple days before the price increase for the warranty, and just a couple weeks before the substantial pricing change. Had I ordered after the price change, it would have cost me about $15k more. I'm glad it worked out the way that it did. I originally test drove and saw the car for the first time on 6/23 and put down my deposit before the test drive. I had already been on the website and knew exactly what I wanted so I didn't change them there on out.

I had not been on the website to configure one until the day I drove down to Marietta, GA for a test drive. Even the test drive was on a whim and a lark. I recently retired and was looking for something the wife and I could do on a nice summer's day. After the test drive the sales person (thanks Cale!!!) walked us through the configuration explaining each of the options. I confirmed on the spot. BUT...I got home and wondered how disappointed I would be if I didn't get the P? After all, this is a car I hope to have for MANY years. Sent an e-mail the next morning to Sales and upgraded.

barey

In all fairness, I originally when into the process thinking, oh maybe an S. Test drove P+, ordered a P, then upgraded to a +. I'm one of those people who can rationalize any upgrade when it comes to cars :cool:

My original order was to be a Blue S60 with super charging and primacy tire upgrade with obeche gloss (everything else as in sig). Then I went for my test drive (which was a P) and they had an MC Red waiting to be delivered to a lucky soul. Once I laid eyes on it in person I immediately knew Red was for me. That car happened to have the Piano Black decor with the Black Performance seats. When I saw the two of them together I knew that was a good choice and the offset of the jump from the Blue to the Red was a bonus. When I sat down to order I thought long and hard and chose 85 instead of 60 as I knew in my gut it was the right choice. I waited 24 hours to make sure everything still felt right and confirmed. So maybe that doesn't count since I didn't change my order in the time period after initially ordering but I figure it was close enough. :)

I passed on the 21" too. I thought it might get old buying new tires every 3 months. :D

Well shame on you barey--JUST KIDDING!!

Easy now--you can get 12K miles if you ride 21" nicely (that's 1.5 years of driving for me).

The + is a different story because you cannot rotate--but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the sticky factor on the grip and handling :biggrin:.

I am probably in the minority here :). After a decade of harsh, sporty rides (an M3 and a Z4), I was so ready for a comfy / cushy ride - the 21's were ruled out without the slightest of hesitation. And the 85 was plenty fast for me, so didn't feel the need for a P85. The only thing I really struggled with was the color, but the wifey finally talked me into black. I confirmed my order on the day I placed it, and this shaved off some time - my car was ready in 28 days. Never once thought about changing the order.

Wow, you are living the same life as I am. I had a M3 in 2010, Z4 in 2012. Then I got the Model S in June of this year. I got the S85 but I feel like I want the P85 now that I've had the loaner for 2 days. I can tell the difference and the acceleration is intoxicating.