TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Did your owner's manual disappear?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AB4EJ, Sep 2, 2018.

1. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Today, I noticed that my Autopark feature did not seem to be working, so I thought, maybe I didn't do something right, so decided to look at the owner's manual. No dice on that....the whole thing is blank... seems to be a table of contents, but no text.

The latest Release Notes page is also blank.

Software Update# V8.1 2018.28.5 377 ec8b

Anybody else seen this? What gives? (Sorry if this has already been answered, a few searches didn't turn up anything useful)

2. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

Ditto here, but it was in a loaner S while ours was in for annual service a couple of weeks ago. Software at 2018.32.2 3817fdd on ours works fine. Didn't check the level on the loaner.

3. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Did have a moment a week ago when it was unavailable; works last time I checked though.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Had the same problem with 28.5 update - main screen reboot brought release notes and manual back. No reoccurance since.

• Informative x 1
  5. tcoombes

tcoombes Member

Not sure if it’s related or not, but there is an 8/30/18 updated owners manual in the documents section of my Tesla account. Maybe this new version has not found its way to the firmware update yet.

6. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

That is an interesting thought... maybe this is still in the process of being transferred. (I did try rebooting the main screen, but that didn't help). Will check it again today and see if anything is different...

7. .jg.

.jg. Member

I'm on 32.2 and my owner's manual is available (either through the "T" menu or at the bottom left of the Settings page) and the content is not blank - including the section on Autopark.

8. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

OK, checked again. Still no owner's manual (either through the "T" menu or at the bottom left of the Settings page).

I just realized: my car is out of warranty. Is distribution of the manual no longer supported when out of warranty?

9. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

My car is still within warranty, and with 2018.39.6 both the Owner's Manual and Release Notes are missing. Have rebooted everything in sight, and it's been over a day now. Car in garage has a 4-wave WiFi connection to net 24/7. But I'm wondering: Does that textual stuff come down over cellular? If so, that might be a problem - reception is crappy in our area, and especially inside garage. Do I need to park it outside for a while?

• Like x 1
  10. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Just checked and the release notes did take a few seconds to load. Same with the manual. But both did eventually display. Makes me wonder if they are located on a Tesla server somewhere instead of on the car. ???

• Like x 1
  11. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

The disappearance of the manual must have been a bug. Over the weekend, Version 9 appeared, and the car has the manual after the Ver 9 upgrade installed.

12. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

I had successfully installed 39.6, and that's when the text stuff (notes, manual) went missing. I tried the stuff Tesla Support suggested (mainly rebooting MCU) and to no avail. Browser was failing to load any pages, also.

Took car to SC, and they said that there was a "corrupt file" in the system. (I'm an old IT hand, and that sounds like a lame translation of "We just don't know" to me.) Suggested a factory reset of car. Picked car up after reset and all was well.

But here's the thing: many other folks have reported missing texts, and AFAIK there has been no official fix to the problem, which has been around for a long time.

Also: (and this was kind of mind-boggling - to me, at least.): I was given a loaner while my car was at the SC. It was a MX with only 600 miles or so on it. Guess what? There was no Owners Manual or Release Notes text on it, either! (Maybe I'm a carrier - do you suppose? :) ) That tells me they've got some far-reaching, endemic problem. Whether they're taking it seriously or not is another question ...

13. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I think the owner's manual is downloaded and displayed when you request it (it may be stored locally for further use). I found when I waited for a while, the manual eventually appeared. It would never show up when I was in a location with poor connectivity (i.e., most of the state of Alabama); however, once I got closer to town, it eventually appeared and I can use it now.

14. Earthpower

Earthpower Member

I have no manual text or release notes with v 9, 46.2 (just updated). Not clear on how to find a solution.

15. A-Wimoweh

A-Wimoweh Member

I've also seen this on my 2 week old S75D. Also seems to affect the web browser as well, in that if one is messed up, the other is too. Rebooting will temporarily fix the issue, but it seems to come back the second time I try to access the manual after a reboot.

16. f205v

f205v Member

Manual has to be download when you open it, just allow a little time for it.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

It is related to the browser. In v9, there have been a couple of point releases that have resulted in a broken web browser. When that happens, no owners manual or release notes either. If your web browser is working, your manual "should" show up. But if you notice you have no web browser, you'll find you have no manual either.

• Like x 1
  18. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Try rebooting, in case the browser app is having problems.

19. Earthpower

Earthpower Member

I had a software update today and the manual and release notes are back. ☺(?) 48.12.1

20. GalaxySurfer

GalaxySurfer Life, The Universe and Everything.

Same issue, owners manual blank, this has happened before, reset fixed it. This time its not. Have SC apt scheduled for the security upgrade will have then check when i go.