Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Didn’t mention this at time of sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When will San Diego get new Superchargers. This was definitely glossed over at the time of sale. Any update coming?

Attachments

• 98B93F8A-2BE8-490C-B671-24597723D79E.jpeg
    98B93F8A-2BE8-490C-B671-24597723D79E.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 127
Lots more popping up around San Diego.

Believe Carlsbad is in line for some. Going N. on 5 or 15 there are a bunch going in. I-15 has some about to open in the Lake Elsinore Outlet stores, in Corona and some of the new, Urban ones in Riverside. Also Ontario.
I-5 has opened some new ones in San Clement outlet stores near downtown.

The ones in Qualcomm parking lot have been filled up a lot from livery services and local owners with home chargers that want to save on their electric bill. You can usually tell who is local because their cars are all shiney. Long distance travelers usually have buggs on the front of a coating of brake dust on their wheels. Been a problem for quite a while.

There are tons of destination and community charging stations around. They are slower than Superchargers and some charge for the juice.

They used to also allow owners to charge up at the service center and UTC mall display room, but they also tended to be used by local people, leaving few spots for travelers. Now policy is to use these only for Tesla demo cars and those in for service.

Tesla is aware of the situation is is working on additional Superchargers for travelers and also the new smaller units for Urban owners that do not have access to charging at their condo's or work.

Last time I went to Qualcomm there was a security guy there helping keep everybody in order. While the line sometimes looks long, it does not really take long to get a spot. If everybody just gets 20 minutes or so of charge, a slot will open up every couple minutes.

They have rest rooms you can use in the Qualcomm building. They also have a nice coffee shop next to the chargers.

Superchargers priority are first to long distance travelers who have no other options. Next to local people, also with no other options, Then for commercial users and owners with only 110V availability, and need a quicker charge, last to people nearby that have perfectly good 240V charging stations in their nearby garages but wish to use the Superchargers because they are free.

If there are long lines, and travelers cannot get to a charger in order to get home, or to their next Supercharger on their route, it would be nice if a local person would unplug and come back at another time, when the line was gone.

No Tesla owner should ever be excluded from access to an empty charging stall, however, just as a glutton should not wolf down the last piece of food when a starving man is in need, common sense should be a staple in the Tesla owners personality.

There's a thread (which is not this one) for debating the issues of "locals" using Superchargers.

@Robert B, do you not have a home (or workplace) charging solution? (Welcome to TMC by the way!) How dependent are you on Superchargers? The situation in San Diego is pretty pessimal (although the one time I visited there on a trip I was able to plug in without waiting). But as pointed out upthread, there are a number of sites in various stages of construction.

Bruce.

[...]If everybody just gets 20 minutes or so of charge, a slot will open up every couple minutes.[...]
Unfortunately it's not usually the case that people will only stay for "20 minutes or so of charge", especially for local charging. Also, sometimes that is not realistic due to slow charge rates (I was at San Juan Capistrano one time and was only getting 20-34 kW).

Interesting thread and comments. As a M3 reservation holder I can see exactly why supercharging is no longer included and especially not with the M3. If in a years time we have over 200K more cars all trying to use SC because it is free it would be a nightmare. As the cars get cheaper and you get more mainstream, average income owners you'll get many many more owners who would feel entitled to only use the SC and free charge. The SC's aren't meant to be the only charging solution a person has and especially those that use their car in a service capacity such as Uber, as Tesla updated their policies and have noted that is not what the SC's are for.

• Helpful
Reactions: SDRick