TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Didn't get Autopilot when I ordered a HW2 car, OTA update not possible

Discussion in 'Model S' started by borofish, Jan 23, 2017.

1. borofish

borofish Member

Just an FYI for anybody else like me who bought a HW2 car, but didn't get autopilot when they ordered. In order to get autopilot now, you have to take the car into service - it's not currently available as an over the air update.

A bit disappointing, since Tesla can't fit me in for the service upgrade for a couple weeks, but not the end of the world I suppose.

2. NicB72

NicB72 Supporting Member

By the time you get it there will be many more miles of data in Tesla's possession and it should hopefully work smoother than it is right now :)

3. Bluechip

Bluechip Member

Surprised by that too, but just think, it might be better by the time you get it activated. More updates expected every few weeks.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

I wonder if it has to do with calibrating the camera, or if they just don't have an OTA update coded for it yet.

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

What does the cost matter, every car comes with it already installed. (it powers the safety features: FCW, AEB, etc. that every car will get.)

6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I imagine at some point this will change once it gets to a level that they can entice people with a 30 day demo like they did with AP1. Assuming the camera(s) don't need any tweaking.

7. borofish

borofish Member

The service tech did mention that they would be adjusting cameras as part of the reason it couldn't be a OTA, but that seemed strange to me - do they not calibrate the cameras for all cars coming out of the factory?

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

They likely do now, but it's possible that it an unforeseen thing.

Where only in development of the software that they realized it would be necessary. That's the danger of selling HW so far ahead of the SW. It probably won't be the last thing.

• Like x 2
  9. Thinkfn

Thinkfn Member

10. Bilen

Bilen Member

I was just told that it cannot even be activated at the service center yet and they do not yet have an ETA for when it can be done. Sad face...
    Would really like just to get TACC.

11. Bilen

Bilen Member

@borofish Did you get autopilot activated at the service center yet?