Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Didn't get Autopilot when I ordered a HW2 car, OTA update not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI for anybody else like me who bought a HW2 car, but didn't get autopilot when they ordered. In order to get autopilot now, you have to take the car into service - it's not currently available as an over the air update.

A bit disappointing, since Tesla can't fit me in for the service upgrade for a couple weeks, but not the end of the world I suppose.

Just an FYI for anybody else like me who bought a HW2 car, but didn't get autopilot when they ordered. In order to get autopilot now, you have to take the car into service - it's not currently available as an over the air update.

A bit disappointing, since Tesla can't fit me in for the service upgrade for a couple weeks, but not the end of the world I suppose.
By the time you get it there will be many more miles of data in Tesla's possession and it should hopefully work smoother than it is right now :)

The service tech did mention that they would be adjusting cameras as part of the reason it couldn't be a OTA, but that seemed strange to me - do they not calibrate the cameras for all cars coming out of the factory?

The service tech did mention that they would be adjusting cameras as part of the reason it couldn't be a OTA, but that seemed strange to me - do they not calibrate the cameras for all cars coming out of the factory?
They likely do now, but it's possible that it an unforeseen thing.

Where only in development of the software that they realized it would be necessary. That's the danger of selling HW so far ahead of the SW. It probably won't be the last thing.

Reactions: ev-now and borofish

@borofish Did you get autopilot activated at the service center yet?