Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diehard Tesla Fanatic Turning in MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KOL2000

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2013
San Diego
Hi Folks -

We have initiated a buyback (still waiting for the quote) of our MX. We simply can't take it anymore. My wife is fine with the Hyundai loaner they gave her (if that gives you any idea of how bad it was).

From the moment we took delivery in March of 2016 the car has been riddled with problems. Falcon doors needing to be rebuilt, rattles everywhere, tons of misalignments, suspension needed to be rebuilt several times, MCU randomly inoperable (rendering AC and radio inoperable), a battery with the capacity of a 75 but their refusal to replace it, door latches that need to be replaced 2+ times, acceleration shudder, and now back-to-back car failures that left my wife stranded (one DC/DC converter problem and now something else). Overall the car has been in service for atleast 3 months over the past 2 years. The problems are constant with the car and the Service center no longer treats us like a VIP (for a 150k car). They are as exhausted as we are with this car. The early adopters are no different than people getting base M3s. They are taking advantage of our love for the company.

I've been a loyal and die-hard Tesla fanatic since 2012. I have 4 powerwalls. 20% of my retirement savings is TSLA. My model S has been essentially completely rebuilt and is now super reliable. I will never upgrade the S because I'm simply afraid that the new ones have the same QC issues and the service center is beyond overwhelmed (as is apparent from the threads on this board). San Diego SC is like a mad house. Its chaos there. The "invisible love" us old-timers experienced when they only sold MS is gone. Its truly invisible and non-existent now.

My wife said it right - the problem with EVs is unlike a gas car where you can hear a problem coming or there is a check engine light or something, there are numerous parts of the Tesla that can fail without warning and simply leave you with a worthless brick. Theres no warning. There are no fluids to check and no sounds to listen for. It's like an iPhone that could have the home button stop working at any moment and then its worthless. Its ok if you are single and stay local but if you have 3 kids you need honda/toyota mini-van level reliability.

I wish they would go private and could focus on going slower, having a real QC department that doesn't put shitty beta vehicles into customers hands. I think this problem is quite dramatic and if left unchecked it will lead to the demise of the company. Most of the people on this forum are so loyal to Elon and Tesla (as I am too) that they say this is rare or give anecdotes about other failures of their BMW or Land Rover. The fact is that what is going on now is not normal and there is a real problem here that can not be brushed off.

Right now we are thinking about replacing the X with either a used S or maybe giving an X another shot but as a lease (will never purchase again). If you don't have a Tesla and are reading this you might say that getting another one is the definition of insanity! The problem is that while it is true that there is nothing like driving a Tesla, there is a limit to the patience us early adopters have. We can't go back to ICE and there are currently no other EV options that have an extensive supercharger network so they have trapped early adopters like me :(

Wondering if anyone is in the same boat and how they proceeded? If you went to another EV or ICE how is that working out for you?

Had a 2016 X that Tesla bought back for a FWD issue. Got a new X in 2018. I didn’t feel like there’s any other choice after driving the X so I gave them another chance. The 2018 is not without quality issues but it also doesn’t have the issues you mentioned. I can’t say my 2018 is more reliable because my 2016 didn’t have the issues you mentioned either. You are not crazy going with another Tesla. Many of us do the same.

It's a very tough call given your experience. I've had my MX since Feb and nothing has failed in the first 9k miles. All feels good and I'm even starting to trust it now, lol! But I'm also a realist and this is a very ambitious car for a relatively inexperienced manufacturer to build and support reliably. I'm honestly not expecting it to be as reliable long term as the more traditional German rivals (which can also have serious issues of their own), but I much prefer the EV drivetrain and general tech in the MX. The car is truly amazing when it's all working properly. Mine is on a fixed term PCP, so I'm out of it in 4 years with a guaranteed residual. I wouldn't have the balls to buy an MX outright and run it for a decade or more! So your lease idea seems like a good compromise to me. Likewise I hope Tesla mature on their QC and after-sales support to truly rival the top legacy brands. Again that's not to say quality, service and support is necessarily all that amazing from other brands - often the grass looks greener as they say...

I feel your pain. We have three kids too and if you don't want to drive a huge SUV not many other options exist, so I can understand why you'd consider another X. We just lemon lawed our Range Rover and currently driving our 11 year old back up SUV until we can figure out what to get next. That said, I'm happy we bought our car out of state (in California) where consumer protection laws are much more stringent. If I buy a Model X, it will probably also be out of California.

It sounds like a buyback is the right choice given your experiences. It sounds like you absolutely got a lemon. I don't necessarily share your impression that it's a systemic problem with Tesla though.

My Model X P100D has had all of the minor MX problems, like door, half shaft and screen issues, but been solid otherwise. It hasn't broken down, which is where I draw the line for most cars.

My 2010 BMW X5M was a nightmare, it started eating lifters around 40k miles and spent 3-4 months out of the last 18 months I owned it in the shop. I replaced it with a 2013 BMW X6M (same generation, same engine) and it was virtually trouble free.

My Model X has been in the shop more than my X6M, but far less than the X5M. I tolerate the minor issues with the Model X, because every BMW I've ever owned (mostly high performance M cars) were frequent visitors to the shop. That's the price of entry for cars of that performance caliber.

There's no question that Tesla hasn't achieved the reliability of the Japanese luxury brands, but I honestly can't stand the way they drive. I'd be ecstatic if I could get the best reliability, build quality, performance and value in one package, but if it's out there I haven't found it.

Tesla's having some growing pains and it's just one of things to factor into ownership, but a lemon in any brand is rarely an accurate portrayal of the brand at whole.

On the bright side, we got the Model 3 for my wife, who's a lot less tolerant of car issues and it has been completely problem free.

I think a 2016 is alot worse than a new due continous upgrades. I couldn't live with any thing but a tesla at the moment. An ice just sucks. New audi or mercedes ev maybe can give the tesla a competition but than on the other hand the fwd are amazing for me with small kids so i guess not.

So, perfection is a crap shoot. I won the lottery. Almost. Week old and leaking O ring in rear AC line left dime size spot on garage floor. Service center, suspecting possibility of brake fluid, sent tow truck to drop off loaner and pick up my Tesla. Fixed in a day. Eight thousand miles later, everything continues to work perfectly.

I feel for the OP’s pain. That’s not right. But it’s also not the norm in 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and GSP
It's a very tough call given your experience. I've had my MX since Feb and nothing has failed in the first 9k miles. All feels good and I'm even starting to trust it now, lol! But I'm also a realist and this is a very ambitious car for a relatively inexperienced manufacturer to build and support reliably. I'm honestly not expecting it to be as reliable long term as the more traditional German rivals (which can also have serious issues of their own), but I much prefer the EV drivetrain and general tech in the MX. The car is truly amazing when it's all working properly. Mine is on a fixed term PCP, so I'm out of it in 4 years with a guaranteed residual. I wouldn't have the balls to buy an MX outright and run it for a decade or more! So your lease idea seems like a good compromise to me. Likewise I hope Tesla mature on their QC and after-sales support to truly rival the top legacy brands. Again that's not to say quality, service and support is necessarily all that amazing from other brands - often the grass looks greener as they say...
I've got balls. I bought my X instead of leasing. I figured if it sucks, I'll sell it back, but I'm really hoping I can get 10 years out of it :D It feels like a lot of the parts fail initially, but I'm curious to see how it stands the test of time. It feels like a lot of the issues I've had are fix-it-once type of issues. I'm hoping that's true, but we won't know until those 2016s run out of warranty in 2020+. Miles isn't the same wear and tear on the car (just like tires, brakes and battery -- but the battery has been proven to actually wear quite well) compared to ICE vehicles, so we need to see how it lasts from wall-clock time. It's a gamble no doubt. It's cheaper to finance though :p

It sounds like a buyback is the right choice given your experiences. It sounds like you absolutely got a lemon. I don't necessarily share your impression that it's a systemic problem with Tesla though.

My Model X P100D has had all of the minor MX problems, like door, half shaft and screen issues, but been solid otherwise. It hasn't broken down, which is where I draw the line for most cars.

My 2010 BMW X5M was a nightmare, it started eating lifters around 40k miles and spent 3-4 months out of the last 18 months I owned it in the shop. I replaced it with a 2013 BMW X6M (same generation, same engine) and it was virtually trouble free.

My Model X has been in the shop more than my X6M, but far less than the X5M. I tolerate the minor issues with the Model X, because every BMW I've ever owned (mostly high performance M cars) were frequent visitors to the shop. That's the price of entry for cars of that performance caliber.

There's no question that Tesla hasn't achieved the reliability of the Japanese luxury brands, but I honestly can't stand the way they drive. I'd be ecstatic if I could get the best reliability, build quality, performance and value in one package, but if it's out there I haven't found it.

Tesla's having some growing pains and it's just one of things to factor into ownership, but a lemon in any brand is rarely an accurate portrayal of the brand at whole.

On the bright side, we got the Model 3 for my wife, who's a lot less tolerant of car issues and it has been completely problem free.
You described me to a T. I was considering buying an BMW M series instead, and I have always known performance cars are plagued with issues...even the best of them. It's definitely a pay-to-play situation in this particular market segment. I went into the X knowing full well this is what I was expecting. I'm hoping that it isn't an ongoing issue, but I also acknowledge it may very well be.

I also was okay with the purchase because the service center is 5 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, this was also before the model 3s flooded the area :( Now the SC is totally hammered with the techs fixing a $50k car when you have people who need their $100-150k cars fixed as well. It's all full on days and I am worried it will only get worse. That's purely FUD though. I've only been in for service once and I got a loaner. I have to go again on Friday to get my key fobs reprogrammed/replaced, so I'll have another data point then.

My 2010 BMW X5M was a nightmare, it started eating lifters around 40k miles and spent 3-4 months out of the last 18 months I owned it in the shop. I replace

Lol you describe my silverstone 2010X5M ...

OP have driven two S’s out of warranty and never had issues ...2013,2014...I held off placing my X order even though Tesla had held my 5k deposit since they were announced ..finally pulled trigger earlier this year for 2018 and the quality is night and day over earlier models I had seen before ...especially the auto present doors open /close ..I would give Tesla another shot ..;)

I wonder for Model X what the distribution curve is for days in shop. No idea how many end up as 1-2 days, weeks, or months?

Seems all the buyback stories are cars that are in and out for months. Annoying that 1.) Tesla can’t actually fix it or 2.) It ends up as a lost cause regardless.

For sure it’s better to just launch a Model 3 into space as a payload test than to bother spending diagnostic time to the tune up of months when 100,000 Model 3 could have been built in that time.

Are there stories where Model X’s have spent substantial time in the shop but then end up being great and reliable afterwards?

I’ve had two of those 1 day repair issues myself.

One was o-ring leak draining out the AC coolant. Another was creaking Falcon wing doors. Really nothing and it was one of the very first AP2 Model Xs.

Pretty certain @KOL2000 will have a better second round.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
Are there stories where Model X’s have spent substantial time in the shop but then end up being great and reliable afterwards l?
<raises hand>

My 2016 spent over 8 weeks in the shop in the first few months of ownership. Had another couple of issues later that same year, but it has been great and reliable since.

I had a different, but similar experience. I got my first model X in September 2017. It spent over 30 days in the shop on a bunch of different visits during the just over three months I owned it. I was sick of taking it to Tesla for repairs and I think they were sick of seeing me all the time. Tesla finally bought it back in December. The experience was so bad I had considered going back to a gas vehicle. I decided to give it another try and ordered a replacement Model X. I ordered the exact same spec I ordered the first time. They put me in a nearly brand new loaner Model S for nearly 3 months as my replacement vehicle was delayed twice. I picked up the replacement Model X at the end of March. Other than some minor issues the service center took care of it has been great. I am so happy I did not go back to a gas vehicle in the middle of that frustrating experience.