Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diehard Tesla Fanatic Turning in MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've a mid '17 X100D bought from new and it's had mostly all of the issues mentioned - and even invented a few ones of it's own.

It's the most abysmally put together car i've seen, let alone owned.
Not a week pases by withou a new rattle, shake, failure or other thing to remind you just how badly you've been taken by Tesla selling a total shambles of a car pretending it was finished.

Never gain - anything but Teslas for me.

I have a mid '17 as well and agree that quality is poor, but I have not had the level of issues the OP has listed. My biggest issues are a suspension rattle, half-shaft shudder, and MCU yellowing. Car has never had FWD, battery, or MCU reboot issues (knock on wood).

We've had our X for just over 2 years now. Build quality sucks, but all the things that annoy the hell out of me (#1 being shudder), my wife doesn't even care. It's her car so I let it be. The other reason I let things slide is because I know she's driving our kids around in the safest SUV. One practice we've adopted is every 3 months we run through an emergency escape drill. I've no worries that my 4 year old son can call upon his inner Hulk and rip off the speaker grill if it ever came to it.

Reactions: Kacey Green
UPDATE: Buyback initiated, the price they quoted is fair and, following all of your useful feedback, we have ordered another X 100D. This time we will lease. Fingers crossed that the folks in Fremont are not asleep while putting it together... Thanks everyone for the thoughtful feedback.

Sounds like a good compromise. Hope the new one turns out better. I think you would be very unlucky to suffer so many issues again on a single example. Just don't expect total perfection in build quality!

Reactions: Kacey Green
Sounds like a good compromise. Hope the new one turns out better. I think you would be very unlucky to suffer so many issues again on a single example. Just don't expect total perfection in build quality!
Our new Model X had 5 items on the due bill, one they put there before we arrived, a scratch in the glass of the passenger side rear window (the sliding one in the Falcon door)
The front and rear seals of this same door look gross (jagged edges)
The passenger side mirror cap (the body colored part above the chrome and glass) isn't properly snapped on all the way
The gray crossover trim (the stupid cladding on all crossovers) round piece over the wheel arch also on the passenger side isn't correctly seated
The gasket around the driver's side rear cornering sensor was covering half the sensor.
The box with the keys was missing Keychains, and the license plate screws were missing chromed caps to go with the frame.

The Consumer Reports reliability rating is updated every year. The latest one was released in October 2017, so it’s pretty recent. I’m guessing we’ll get a new reliability rating around the same time this year, so we’ll see if there’s been much improvement. Maybe Tesla has turned things around.
But when you say the report was released in Oct 2017, that would presumably be a summary of consumer reports for people actually owning 2016 and maybe early 2017 cars. I don't think we'll see a reflection of the running improvements made until maybe the 2019 consumer report.
10 Least Reliable Cars where the X was dead last says:
Trouble spots: Body hardware, paint and trim, climate system

Definitions and average problem rates by model year are at Car Reliability Histories.

In a prior year, Model X was in the middle of the bottom 10, not dead last: https://web.archive.org/web/2016111...s.org/car-reliability/10-least-reliable-cars/. They said:
Trouble spots Falcon-wing doors, locks and latches, power equipment, in-car electronics, climate system

UPDATE: Buyback initiated, the price they quoted is fair and, following all of your useful feedback, we have ordered another X 100D. This time we will lease. Fingers crossed that the folks in Fremont are not asleep while putting it together... Thanks everyone for the thoughtful feedback.

Happy to hear that they were fair and you are giving Tesla another chance.

Might I suggest a change to the thread title (perhaps after you have had your 100D for a while). ;)

buy or lease, problems are still problems.
goodluck

UPDATE:

Picked up our new 100D X yesterday. The delivery experience was as good as one could imagine on the final day of the quarter. I'm not going to complain about that. They did their best and it was fine.

The car itself is perfect enough for us. Some tiny issues and if you are a super crazy perfectionist you might notice tiny paint defect and some imperfect alignment but you really need to study the car with a ruler.

Wife was not happy with the new seats that are manual and was actually pretty upset about that. Other than a tiny rattle on the window the car is great and it is clear that the quality has increased immeasurably from our early 2016 build.

I highly recommend anyone in a similar situation to that outlined above give Tesla another try. Will update if there are any serious mechanical issues but so far runs like a dream (the way all Teslas do).

Last edited:
It's a very tough call given your experience. I've had my MX since Feb and nothing has failed in the first 9k miles. All feels good and I'm even starting to trust it now, lol! But I'm also a realist and this is a very ambitious car for a relatively inexperienced manufacturer to build and support reliably. I'm honestly not expecting it to be as reliable long term as the more traditional German rivals (which can also have serious issues of their own), but I much prefer the EV drivetrain and general tech in the MX. The car is truly amazing when it's all working properly. Mine is on a fixed term PCP, so I'm out of it in 4 years with a guaranteed residual. I wouldn't have the balls to buy an MX outright and run it for a decade or more! So your lease idea seems like a good compromise to me. Likewise I hope Tesla mature on their QC and after-sales support to truly rival the top legacy brands. Again that's not to say quality, service and support is necessarily all that amazing from other brands - often the grass looks greener as they say...
what is a fixed term PCP?

yup and carpet backed its a dramatic downgrade from the beautiful "sculpted" seats that could be controlled from the screen.

Would the 6-seater not have worked for you? It still has the fancy motorised second row seats, but obviously 1 less of them! I think the new 7-seater is more practical overall than the original 7-seater, but less impressive to behold!

Anyway, glad your delivery went without issues. Must have been a big relief after your previous experience.