Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diesel Parking Heater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoRey

Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner
Feb 15, 2016
Anaheim, CA
After being stuck in on the 38 highway for over 5 hours in a snow storm. Moving only a couple of feet every hour due to trucks constantly getting stuck on the icy roads. I began thinking of the energy consumption a electric restive heater has on the range of a EV. it seams ridiculous that Tesla is still not using a heat pump to help heat the cabin and instead relies on a restive heater, Tesla instead scavenges heat from various components. Given that even at low temperature a heat pump will typically use less electricity then a conventional electric heater (albeit at a reduced capacity).

That is when i remembered of parking heaters. Little furnaces that run on diesel or gasoline and use a heat exchanges to provide warm air to a vehicle. Knowing that using electricity to create is inefficient compared to just directly burning the fuel used to create such electricity. After doing some research i found said machine and discovered that they are very popular with RV's, boats, sheds, campers and as a supplemental heater in workshops. These heaters where originally designed by webesto, but the Chinese make a comparable heater that is used by the aforementioned parties. These heaters have a 2 gallon tank that burns very little diesel and last a day or more depending on use. On a long road trip or overnight use such heater could potentially significantly reduce electric consumption to one comparable to summer. These heaters cost around 150 dollars and come in either 2kw or 5kw sizes with all the required components.

Taking a look at the Model s it seems like their is more then sufficient room to install the heater and diesel tank behind the frunk liner on the facelift and would require the deletion of the cubby in the "classic" frunk. The ducting in the face lift version should be very straight forward only requiring a hole in the cabin air filter box. In the "classic" version it would require fabricating a duct to the cabin air filter box. But, should be relatively easy to place the hot air at the entrance of the air box. The air inlets could use the existing air inlet for the car. The exhaust could be routed either underneath the pack by the titanium shield bar or directly underneath the the frunk. The heater itself could be placed in a plethora of different locations given the lack of engine, but i do not think there would be enough space in a dual motor model. The other option would be placing it underneath the trunk load floor.

I know this is sacrilege. But, using fuel to create heat can be a very efficient way to produce heat.

"classic"

thumb1024_100_20160116_Nose_Cam_Install.jpg

thumb1024_102_20160116_Nose_Cam_Install.jpg

main-qimg-3e3b0db35a498549394a547beb883b07.webp

facelift
so2lj6z.jpg

I was going to mention people who have installed them on the Mitsubishi. With a liquid heater core this would be possible (Leaf, Volt, Bolt), but since Tesla only has a resistive element I don't know how you'd do this.

Our Touareg had a Webasto heater, it was awesome. But the instant heat in Model 3 gets hotter, quicker :cool:

-J

Always wondered about these things.....kept seeing them on dx.com and other china sites. Cool idea BUT I would be worried about the hot exhaust pipe and spilling the diesel fuel while filling. One small spill and your car is going to stink till you can completely get it cleaned up which will not be an easy task. Now if I still had my camper I would be all over this.

. With a liquid heater core this would be possible (Leaf, Volt, Bolt), but since Tesla only has a resistive element I don't know how you'd do this.
Yes, that would only require a coolant heat exchanger and some type of pump. That would also have the added benefit of also heating the pack as well as the cabin. But, with this device/setup you would basically be pumping hot air into the inlet of the car's hvac system.

Last edited:
The higher end Leafs use a heat pump, works great.

Honestly, I never envision having to be stuck in my vehicle for a really long time. And while you may be able to put a fuel tank in as an aftermarket item. NTSB would NEVER allow you to put one in the Frunk. It's in the crash zone and would effectively tend to assure the front seat occupants to get covered in fuel during a crash.

The higher end Leafs use a heat pump, works great.

Honestly, I never envision having to be stuck in my vehicle for a really long time. And while you may be able to put a fuel tank in as an aftermarket item. NTSB would NEVER allow you to put one in the Frunk. It's in the crash zone and would effectively tend to assure the front seat occupants to get covered in fuel during a crash.
Diesel is not like gasoline and is in fact very difficult to ignite. (It will not ignite even when exposed to a open flame or spark) Think of vegetable oil. That said placing the tank by the firewall should be a relatively safe since that is not part of the crumple zone.