Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... and Daimler is not paying a fine because they informed the EU about the scheme that they participated in.

Reminds me of the prisoner's dilemma.
The US fines when added all together are over $20B for VW, so this $1B is a slap on the wrist. I don't know if it will be precedent for other court cases but I don't fell too bad about the small amount because I am skeptical they would have come up with an effective technical solution regardless of the collusion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
FCA / Stellantis pleads guilty and will pay $300 million. The settlement includes a $203.6 million forfeiture penalty and a $96.1 million fine. The government noted FCA US previously paid a $311 million civil penalty and paid over $183 million in compensation to over 63,000 people as part of a class-action diesel lawsuit.

FCA US installed deceptive software features intended to avoid regulatory scrutiny and fraudulently help the diesel vehicles meet required emissions standards. The department said the company "purposely calibrated the emissions control systems" to produce less emissions during the federal test procedures then under normal driving conditions.

Three FCA U.S. employees have been indicted for conspiracy to defraud the United States and to violate the Clean Air Act and are awaiting trial.

FCA / Stellantis pleads guilty and will pay $300 million. The settlement includes a $203.6 million forfeiture penalty and a $96.1 million fine. The government noted FCA US previously paid a $311 million civil penalty and paid over $183 million in compensation to over 63,000 people as part of a class-action diesel lawsuit.

FCA US installed deceptive software features intended to avoid regulatory scrutiny and fraudulently help the diesel vehicles meet required emissions standards. The department said the company "purposely calibrated the emissions control systems" to produce less emissions during the federal test procedures then under normal driving conditions.

Three FCA U.S. employees have been indicted for conspiracy to defraud the United States and to violate the Clean Air Act and are awaiting trial.

How much per buyer ? $311 million + $183 million Will buyers actually get how much ? How much goes to Lawyers ? Lucky truck buyers??

More money for CCS fund?

Cummins diesel engine maker agrees to pay $1.65 billion for cheating on emissions and sickening the public.
Cummins said earlier it expects to take a $2.04 billion charge in the fourth quarter to resolve claims relating to the engines.
Cummins must pay higher penalties if at least 85% of recalled vehicles do not get software updates.
Cummins used defeat devices on 630,000 2013 to 2019 RAM 2500 and 3500 pickup truck engines to cheat emissions control requirements.
RAM-owner Stellantis (STLAM.MI) declined to comment.
Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) paid $1.45 billion in U.S. civil penalties in 2017 after the German automaker in 2015 disclosed it had cheated emissions tests by installing defeat devices" in 11 million vehicles worldwide, using sophisticated software to reduce emissions only during emissions tests.

EA Cycle 4 Addendum:
CYCLE-4 CALIFORNIA ZEV INVESTMENT PLAN

CARB Cycle 4 analysis:
STAFF ANALYSIS OF ELECTRIFY AMERICA’S CYCLE 4 ZERO-EMISSION VEHICLE INVESTMENT PLAN

And a bit of background for those not familiar with the long history of this...

background.png

RT

Last edited:
Cycle 4 didn't enforce uptime. They should have matched the NEVI 97%/72 hour rule I've seen. It doesn't, so they won't.
Probably correct. I was initially pretty excited about this when it first was being discussed (7 years ago). I think it ended up being a case study in how to squander/waste $800 million dollars over 10 years.

There is this hopeful nugget. But a non-functional 350kW charger is no better than a non-functional 50kW charger...

new units.png

• Informative
Just for fun, I went to Plugshare to try and find a reasonably close by EA site that had the new 350kW units, to check out the reviews, maybe visit some morning when I have a good Starbucks buzz working. I found a site in Burbank that looks to have 10 of the new chargers:

burbank unit.png

Checking the comments, I came across this gem. Score one for free enterprise (LOL):

guys.png

Reactions: ChadS
Just for fun, I went to Plugshare to try and find a reasonably close by EA site that had the new 350kW units, to check out the reviews, maybe visit some morning when I have a good Starbucks buzz working. I found a site in Burbank that looks to have 10 of the new chargers:

View attachment 1008260

Checking the comments, I came across this gem. Score one for free enterprise (LOL):

View attachment 1008261

Charging sites near airports are terrible for this.

Things may be about to get really bad for BMW. Germany’s motor transport authority, KBA, has started proceedings against BMW over suspicions the automaker manipulated emissions results in its X3 2.0-liter diesel models, according to Reuters. It’s a similar situation to Volkswagen’s Dieselgate scandal that rocked the automotive industry nearly 10 years ago.

Electrify America’s track record with EV charger reliability hasn’t been the greatest — which is to say, its chargers are very bad. They’re so bad that sometimes they’ve even been known to disable some EVs. This unreliability is unacceptable, and some experts in California think state officials should hold Electrify America responsible for its broken chargers as The Sacramento Bee reports.

Some experts are saying charger reliability is one of the big factors in slowing EV adoption. And for good reason, too. A recent J.D. Power charger satisfaction study cited by The Bee ranked Electrify America as last in customer satisfaction. This all is more than enough of a reason for CARB to get tough on Electrify America, as the founder of the nonprofit Cool the Earth Carleen Cullen told The Bee: “What do drivers want? They want to plug in, charge and go. What have they been getting? Too often, it’s a healthy dose of frustration. CARB needs to intensify oversight.”

Reactions: DanCar
I've charged at this EA multiple times. After the fire, they shut all the chargers down for about a year. I think they are reopened now. I've seen other reportss of fires at EA stations

Electrify America’s track record with EV charger reliability hasn’t been the greatest — which is to say, its chargers are very bad. They’re so bad that sometimes they’ve even been known to disable some EVs. This unreliability is unacceptable, and some experts in California think state officials should hold Electrify America responsible for its broken chargers as The Sacramento Bee reports.

Some experts are saying charger reliability is one of the big factors in slowing EV adoption. And for good reason, too. A recent J.D. Power charger satisfaction study cited by The Bee ranked Electrify America as last in customer satisfaction. This all is more than enough of a reason for CARB to get tough on Electrify America, as the founder of the nonprofit Cool the Earth Carleen Cullen told The Bee: “What do drivers want? They want to plug in, charge and go. What have they been getting? Too often, it’s a healthy dose of frustration. CARB needs to intensify oversight.”
Where was this _before_ Stage 4 was agreed? Too late.