TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Difference between a regular plug and a NEMA 14-50 plug

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by SSD420, Jul 12, 2016.

1. SSD420

SSD420 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg I just wanted to share my findings with this picture. From 4+ days to a bit more than 4+ hours.

I just had a NEMA 14-50 plug installed outside of my cottage.

• Informative x 1
  2. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

And apparently in Canada you can only get 32 Amps out of a 14-50 plug while in the US you an get 40 Amps. That damn exchange rate strikes again. :)

• Funny x 9
  3. SSD420

SSD420 Member

Even my electrician was surprised but then realized that Tesla changed it. I do however get 72A on my HPWC at home.

4. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I'm curious if a US car will also drop down to 32A in Canada when on a 14-50. I may have to seek out a 14-50 outlet when in BC this summer...

5. SSD420

SSD420 Member

I'm told this is only a recent phenomenon. Previously it was 40A just like our friends to the South.

6. davewill

davewill Member

No, it's caused by the newer 14-50 adapters sold in Canada. So long as you're using your US one, you'll get 40a.

The Canadian ones would be handy for folks in the US who only have a 40a circuit, though.

7. SSD420

SSD420 Member

And then with the supercharger .. a WOW that was fast..

Attached Files:

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Got it... Didn't know if it was car-side or adapter-side...

9. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

Unfortunately they'll cancel your order if you explicitly order the Canada one in the United States. I tried. Actually, I need to go make sure they refunded me for it...

10. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Very nice! One suggestion though, you may want to get a holder or shelf for your MC in order to eliminate the strain on the cable. Another possibility is a short extension cable with weather protection.

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Here is a handy NEMA connector chart ...

NEMA plug simplified pins.png