Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference Between App From Grid kWh and Utility Energy Use kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the grid draw is odd. I didn't notice that it cut off after the morning. All of the solar is going to the PW, so he has to be pulling from the grid

Most mornings its powering the house + sending to the powerwall. Normally house draw is relatively low (.04-.8 kWh) so it is heavily dumping into the PWs. At least that is what the app is showing.

The green button data doesn't really make sense. Since at 2am it says I temporarily dump to the grid, but that would only come from the powerwalls, and no idea why. Same with all the other early morning to grids. My solar doesn't even register tell 8am and thats just a trickle.

looking at the grpahs again, its possible that on Self powered mode, you are not sending any back to the grid. But the greeen button data shows some going back. Perhaps change it to a different mode and see what is reporteed

So tried running it backup only and a few other modes still getting some discrepancies:

10/23 - SDGE used 3.195 kWh, Tesla App From Grid 0.1 kWh, Tesla App To Grid 0.1 kWh.
10/22 - SDGE used -5.88 kWh (so net production), Tesla App From Grid 0.1 kWh, Tesla App to Grid 3.2 kWh

Emailed Tesla, is there a better way to reach support?

So tried running it backup only and a few other modes still getting some discrepancies:

10/23 - SDGE used 3.195 kWh, Tesla App From Grid 0.1 kWh, Tesla App To Grid 0.1 kWh.
10/22 - SDGE used -5.88 kWh (so net production), Tesla App From Grid 0.1 kWh, Tesla App to Grid 3.2 kWh

Emailed Tesla, is there a better way to reach support?

So are you saying that you ran in backup only mode for a full 24+ hours and your app is only reporting that you pulled 0.1kWh from the grid? That doesn’t make any sense. In backup only mode you should have pulled power from the grid the entire time the sun was down. Unless you had everything in your house turned off that should have been way more than 0.1kWh. Can you post the graphs from that time period?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
So are you saying that you ran in backup only mode for a full 24+ hours and your app is only reporting that you pulled 0.1kWh from the grid? That doesn’t make any sense. In backup only mode you should have pulled power from the grid the entire time the sun was down. Unless you had everything in your house turned off that should have been way more than 0.1kWh. Can you post the graphs from that time period?

Sorry those last two were trying out ToU (not on a ToU plan but just curious if it changed anything)

on 10/21 ran full backup mode SDGE - Used 18.08 kWh, Tesla App From Grid 12.2 kWh, Tesla App To Grid 2.9 kWh

Sorry those last two were trying out ToU (not on a ToU plan but just curious if it changed anything)

on 10/21 ran full backup mode SDGE - Used 18.08 kWh, Tesla App From Grid 12.2 kWh, Tesla App To Grid 2.9 kWh

Very weird. I think it’s probably worth calling tesla at this point. I wouldn’t necessarily expect the numbers to match exactly, but I would certainly expect them to be reasonably close, much closer than what you are seeing.

So just called Tesla support, they said there is a known bug in the 1.5 firmware that can cause issues like this and rolled my system back to 1.49 until the bug is fixed. Need to wait 24 hours for the firmware push to be effective but if I'm not seeing more accurate numbers in 2-3 days need to call Tesla back.

So just called Tesla support, they said there is a known bug in the 1.5 firmware that can cause issues like this and rolled my system back to 1.49 until the bug is fixed. Need to wait 24 hours for the firmware push to be effective but if I'm not seeing more accurate numbers in 2-3 days need to call Tesla back.

That’s interesting. Do you know if you were on 1.50 or 1.50.1? I guess if it was fixed in 1.50.1 they would have put you on that.

I’m on 1.50.1 and I just compared the data in my Tesla app to my utility over the past few days and they were all within 2 or 3%, which I think is totally acceptable. One thing I did note that I thought was kind of interesting is that some days my utility was slightly higher than the Tesla app and some days the utility was slightly lower than the Tesla app.

That’s interesting. Do you know if you were on 1.50 or 1.50.1? I guess if it was fixed in 1.50.1 they would have put you on that.

I’m on 1.50.1 and I just compared the data in my Tesla app to my utility over the past few days and they were all within 2 or 3%, which I think is totally acceptable. One thing I did note that I thought was kind of interesting is that some days my utility was slightly higher than the Tesla app and some days the utility was slightly lower than the Tesla app.

I was on 1.50.1.