Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between black and white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the "Select Interior" section of the 3 order page, the "Black and White" is $1000 more and is "Recommended". When I click on "Recommended", it says the white interior includes our most premium materials. Is there an actual difference in the materials used for the white interior compared to the black interior (other than the color)?

I know the black interior has a faux wood trim across the dash while the white has the fake leather there. Is the white more comfortable or something?

Thanks

The white strip is not the simulated leather, fyi. It's a smooth white aluminum. Possibly anodized, maybe painted. But it is metal, cool to the touch. I would have preferred a strip of the fake leather, as that's what's in the accent area of the doors and it looks & feels fabulous there. But then again, the metal is wayyyy easier to wipe clean.

Oh, and I also recommend getting white decals for the door-release buttons. I got mine here from Abstract Ocean. Make sure you change the color selection to white. It really makes them pop, and it prevents every single person from pulling the emergency-release lever because they don't see the button. (Adds a fantastic grippy feel to the button as well.)

One thing to keep in mind is that when applying them, look very closely and FIRST line up the teeny thin "window" with the light on the button, then push down to attach the adhesive. That way the little light shines through at night.

Oh, and I also recommend getting white decals for the door-release buttons. I got mine here from Abstract Ocean. Make sure you change the color selection to white. It really makes them pop, and it prevents every single person from pulling the emergency-release lever because they don't see the button. (Adds a fantastic grippy feel to the button as well.)

One thing to keep in mind is that when applying them, look very closely and FIRST line up the teeny thin "window" with the light on the button, then push down to attach the adhesive. That way the little light shines through at night.

What’s the big deal of passengers using the “emergency handle”?

Commasign is right. Hitting the button makes the car FIRST lower the windows, THEN trigger the door latch. Whereas the emergency release immediately triggers the door latch manually. So now the car doesn't have the split second it usually gives itself to lower the windows first. It still tries its best to lower them in time, but an aggressive pull-and-open could break the window or knock your trim off.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign
Commasign is right. Hitting the button makes the car FIRST lower the windows, THEN trigger the door latch. Whereas the emergency release immediately triggers the door latch manually. So now the car doesn't have the split second it usually gives itself to lower the windows first. It still tries its best to lower them in time, but an aggressive pull-and-open could break the window or knock your trim off.

Ok, now I see. I’ve had plenty of people use the handle with no issue.

Had dinner with an old friend who happened to be in town this week and it turns out they have two Teslas (they're from the San Diego area and have both an S and a 3). They said, "go with the white interior". I was strongly leaning towards the white interior already so it looks like I'll order a P3 with blue on white next week.

Reactions: Sgadhia