Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Black and White Interiors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered black interior but was wondering what the differences are, they say white is their most premium materials. Are the seats made with better materials or is it simply a different colour? Any other differences inside such as headlining etc.? I have ivory/cream leather in my current BMW, its held up well but there's no doubt its more effort to keep looking good than black leather and I think the really bright white interior of the Tesla would be worse. I chose ivory in the BMW as I thought it looked too sombre with black seats and headlining but I don't think this will be the same problem in the Tesla with the glass roof.

I ordered black interior but was wondering what the differences are, they say white is their most premium materials. Are the seats made with better materials or is it simply a different colour? Any other differences inside such as headlining etc.? I have ivory/cream leather in my current BMW, its held up well but there's no doubt its more effort to keep looking good than black leather and I think the really bright white interior of the Tesla would be worse. I chose ivory in the BMW as I thought it looked too sombre with black seats and headlining but I don't think this will be the same problem in the Tesla with the glass roof.

Have you not had an opportunity to look (test drive) to see the difference? I have the black but the cabin is relatively bright because of the roof glass and large windscreen. The white is certainly very white and is made of the same stuff as the black as far as I know. The easy care characteristics apply to both, though obviously you are going to see marks more readily on the white.

Reactions: seadog
No, haven't seen either interior in real life just internet pictures. Nearest showroom is 160 miles from me unfortunately, I wanted to order and get on the waiting list for a March delivery rather than wait to view and test drive.

I've seen one in our town but not sure if it was a visitor, I don't know anyone who owns one yet. It's a bit cheeky to describe it as their most premium materials if both use the same materials just in a different colour. I like the wood strip in the black dash as well.

I've seen one in our town but not sure if it was a visitor, I don't know anyone who owns one yet. It's a bit cheeky to describe it as their most premium materials if both use the same materials just in a different colour. I like the wood strip in the black dash as well.

We need to know... which town? (Nobody is going to track you down!)

By the way not wanting to make this thread what is the best interior black or white, as everyone will have their own personal opinion and that's fine. Just wondered if there was any differences or advantages to the white interior other than the seat colour and dash strip to justify the extra £1000 they ask for it.

I'm based around 30 miles north of Aberdeen :).

The main reason I did not get the white was because of the white strip across the dashboard. I am very sensitive to glare now because of retina issues. Also, I think the wood looks lovely.

Agreed, I think the white strip across the dash is maybe a step too far. I tend to wear jeans all the time and that is going to make marks on the seats. The white has an initial "wow factor" but I'm happy I chose the black.

Reactions: Jez_GB and seadog
By the way not wanting to make this thread what is the best interior black or white, as everyone will have their own personal opinion and that's fine. Just wondered if there was any differences or advantages to the white interior other than the seat colour and dash strip to justify the extra £1000 they ask for it.

I'm based around 30 miles north of Aberdeen :).

There are people from the north east on this forum ... you might get an offer! It's only very recently that the white has become a chargeable option. There has been no price difference up until now. Unfortunately you just missed the boat on that.

Black interior has Alcantara door panels, wood front trim, black seats

White interior has white vegan leather door panels, white aluminium front trim, white seats.

Rest is all the same.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and seadog
Agreed, I think the white strip across the dash is maybe a step too far. I tend to wear jeans all the time and that is going to make marks on the seats. The white has an initial "wow factor" but I'm happy I chose the black.
I ordered the white and had the same reservations about the white dash. So much so that I ordered a carbon fibre wrap for dash strip to match the centre console wrap. I've had the car 6 months and I have not used the wrap for the dash. The white strip actually looks fantastic and there is definitely NO glare off of it. I have had no issues with the white seats either. Whenever I clean the car I wipe the seats (and door trim) with some baby wipes which are kept in the centre console. The seats still look as good as new. I also bought a non glare screen cover because I thought the screen would be too reflective - I've not had to use that either so I wouldn't bother wasting any money for that. :cool:

Reactions: Adopado and seadog
It's only very recently that the white has become a chargeable option. There has been no price difference up until now. Unfortunately you just missed the boat on that.

OK I did not realise it used to be a no cost option.

Black interior has Alcantara door panels, wood front trim, black seats

White interior has white vegan leather door panels, white aluminium front trim, white seats.

Rest is all the same.

Perfect thanks for the info.

The white interior has a wow factor over the black, but as a family daily car I think I'm happy with black and the saving.

I ordered black interior but was wondering what the differences are, they say white is their most premium materials.
Are the seats made with better materials or is it simply a different colour?
Any other differences inside such as headlining etc.?

I have ivory/cream leather in my current BMW, its held up well but there's no doubt its more effort to keep looking good
than black leather and I think the really bright white interior of the Tesla would be worse.

I chose ivory in the BMW as I thought it looked too sombre with black seats and headlining
but I don't think this will be the same problem in the Tesla with the glass roof.
I like to keep my car pristine so I immediately install seats covers.

I don't like leather (or leatherette) material, cold in winter, burning hot in summer, I wish there was a cloth option.

I put neoprene type of covers, which are very comfortable in any climate, and provide additional cushion.

You can choose almost any cover color you want, I choose black, but there are some existing white covers for the Model 3.

You just have to be careful to get seats covers with an opening on the side for the air bag.

Last edited:
I test drove a black/black SR+, then ordered the LR with white interior purely out of revenge for all the german cars with black/anthracite interiors I've had over the last 25 years.

what the heck, it is something a bit different and will brighten up those long commutes on grey days.

it was either pay a small monthly extra for a colour, or the white interior so went white/white.

#midlifecrisisspec

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
I thought my black drivers seat was looking a bit grubby last week so went over it with a damp cloth..............the cloth turned blue, there was so much denim dye transfer! Never had this to this extent in my previous cars with leather, I assume the leather sucked it up whilst it just sits on the surface of the fake leather?

Looked like new again after the wipe :)

I would love the white as I love light interiors, but not £1k enough

I have a M3P Black with White interior (pictured). The white is wearing well so far (7 Months). There has been a very faint blue transfer from my jeans on the drivers seat but the advice to use baby wipes works and it is restored to "as new". So far so good.