Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between CPS and CYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the relationship and difference between ChargePlace Scotland and Charge Your Car?

After reading the CPS thread I created an account with them in readiness for a trip I'll be making soon. Today I went to create an account for CYC and was told my email was already in use :eek: knowing I hadn't set one up I went through the forgot password process and got an email from CPS?! Tried using my CPS login on the CYC site and it worked.

I'm now confused... I live in Brighton, so should I close down my CPS account and open one on CYC? Does it matter? Will I have any issues with a CPS account / card charging down here, alternatively are there any disadvantages using a CYC account / card in Scotland?

Sorry if this is a super-dumb-newbie question, but the whole subject of non-SC charging is a bit confusing to me at the moment!

ChargeYourCar provides the actual billing and app services on behalf of ChargePlace Scotland. The ChargePlace Scotland is just a branded version of ChargeYourCar's website - the same login details work for both.

ChargeYourCar are UK wide. I believe (although haven't tried it) your ChargePlace Scotland card works on any ChargeYourCar network chargers - I'm sure someone can confirm if this is the case or not. From what I understand you can possibly use your normal CYC card at the ChargePlace Scotland chargers (as you can also just use the CYC app) as both are linked to the same account.

ChargePlace Scotland are:

ChargePlace Scotland is Scotland’s national Electric Vehicle (EV) charging network. Owned and developed by the Scottish Government, and funded in partnership through a public grant from Local Authorities and other organisations. Aiming to install charge points across Scotland from Shetland to the Scottish borders, making owning an Electric Vehicle accessible for all Scottish drivers.

The ChargePlace Scotland network has grown from 55 public charge points in 2013 to over 1,000 in 2020. All publicly available charge points are displayed on our live map, which provides details about the location, type, status and availability of each unit.

New charge points are installed regularly on the network, with the ongoing support of Transport Scotland. In addition, our network offers members significant money-saving and EV charging benefits.

ChargeYourCar provides the actual billing and app services on behalf of ChargePlace Scotland. The ChargePlace Scotland is just a branded version of ChargeYourCar's website - the same login details work for both.

ChargeYourCar are UK wide. I believe (although haven't tried it) your ChargePlace Scotland card works on any ChargeYourCar network chargers - I'm sure someone can confirm if this is the case or not. From what I understand you can possibly use your normal CYC card at the ChargePlace Scotland chargers (as you can also just use the CYC app) as both are linked to the same account.

Brilliant, thanks Alistair!

CYC also provide the charging, and billing/back office service for other UK charging networks, for example those nets provided by local authorities. However don’t necessarily read that as they all will be interchangeable.

Don't Polar also own CYC, and you can use a Polar card. But then not in CPS because something.
Chargemaster the charger manufacturer, who own the Polar network bought Elektromotive (with their CYC network) in 2016. BP then bought Chargemaster in 2018 to become BP Chargemaster.

The Polar and CYC brands exist to this day under the umbrella of BP Chargemaster.

Does anyone know the relationship and difference between ChargePlace Scotland and Charge Your Car?

After reading the CPS thread I created an account with them in readiness for a trip I'll be making soon. Today I went to create an account for CYC and was told my email was already in use :eek: knowing I hadn't set one up I went through the forgot password process and got an email from CPS?! Tried using my CPS login on the CYC site and it worked.

I'm now confused... I live in Brighton, so should I close down my CPS account and open one on CYC? Does it matter? Will I have any issues with a CPS account / card charging down here, alternatively are there any disadvantages using a CYC account / card in Scotland?

Sorry if this is a super-dumb-newbie question, but the whole subject of non-SC charging is a bit confusing to me at the moment!
Actually a very good question & helpful answers above. As I'm in Scotland I have a CPS card and account. However, CPS don't have an app so last time I checked I needed to use the CYC app if I wanted to use a CPS chargepoint without my card - and none of this was explained clearly, if at all, on the CPS website. I have no idea whether I can use Polar chargepoints with my card - there aren't many in my area - but I have successfully used CYC points down south.

To add to my confusion, my CPS login stopped working with the app a while back and despite a few e-mails to the support people I never got this resolved.

Part of the reason for this confusing state of affairs is that ChargePlaceScotland is set up as a national charge point franchise which the Scottish Government has awarded to CYC. Some Scottish users grumble about the quality of service and the franchise could be awarded to someone else in the future - if that happened it would get even more confusing with regards to things like linked CYC accounts.

If you're down south a CYC card is probably the best way to go and will allow access to all CPS charge points when visiting Scotland (so long as CYC keep the franchise).

• Informative
Reactions: Lucanesque
Part of the reason for this confusing state of affairs is that ChargePlaceScotland is set up as a national charge point franchise which the Scottish Government has awarded to CYC. Some Scottish users grumble about the quality of service and the franchise could be awarded to someone else in the future - if that happened it would get even more confusing with regards to things like linked CYC accounts.

Overall the charging experience is probably "above average" compared with other public chargers ... but that leaves plenty of room for improvement! The biggest factor for any/all public charging is that it works as designed and that any faults are dealt with promptly. There remains no competition for Tesla in that regard. We roll up and expect Tesla chargers to work .. whereas we roll up at any other charger and say a quiet prayer hoping that it will work.

Some of the CYC chargers around Manchester have been sold to EnBe or something, i used one this morning and it still worked with my CYC card, not sure how long that will last though
My local council (Brighton and Hove) has started to replace the old Chargemaster chargers, that were available £1 per charge with CYC, with new Schneider EVLink only available through Electric Blue (25p kWh)... arguably going to be more reliable (looking at the comments on ZapMap), but at a fairly steep price increase

Overall the charging experience is probably "above average" compared with other public chargers ... but that leaves plenty of room for improvement! The biggest factor for any/all public charging is that it works as designed and that any faults are dealt with promptly. There remains no competition for Tesla in that regard. We roll up and expect Tesla chargers to work .. whereas we roll up at any other charger and say a quiet prayer hoping that it will work.
With regards ChargePlace Scotland, personally I think those involved are doing a reasonable job and agree it's "above average" for a public network. We've got to the stage now where some of the older units are needing more maintenance or are being replaced and I'm pleased this does seem to be happening, often with multiple rapids rather than single units plus some decent charging hubs are starting to be built. Also the free charging nonsense is starting to be withdrawn in favour of some reasonable pricing per kWh so some of these units can start contributing to their costs, although I doubt they will be making a profit.

I'm happy enough that I have access to a live map, a helpline, and a single card that works everywhere in Scotland. It's not as good as the Supercharger network but it's a viable second best, and a lot easier than trying to navigate the patchwork of networks down south.