Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between early 2021 and late 2021 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here know what the differences are between an early 2021 (say Jan-Feb) made Model Y and a late 2021 (June-December) are, if any? Looking to purchase a used one and want to make sure I won't miss out on anything major if I find an early 2021 car. The only thing so far I found as a potential difference is the double-pane glass...but that's easy to confirm. Anything else?

There were a couple of upgrades.

The introduction of dual pane front windows about April 2021.

Also, the new center console may have been updated early 2021.

This is subjective...
I have a 2021 MYLR with an October build date. I was informed by multiple Tesla folk that in July 2021, Tesla focused effort on correcting panel alignment issues. Later model Y's have far less gap issues. I have none.

If buying used, check the build date, it's way more important than model year.
Good Luck!

Ther are a couple of others, maybe others have a better memory.

Last edited:
Weird! One of the cars I'm negotiating on has a sticker for 02/21 manufacturing date and does already have the double-pane glass. Visually, gaps look perfect.

Edit: original owner took delivery in April it seems

Dual panes began showing up much earlier, right at end of Oct 2020. My 2021 Y was Oct 2020 pickup and has dual pane and metallic wheel scrollers. More than half of cars at service center pickup didn’t.

Differences between early 2021 and later 2021 cars (which don’t necessarily alight with year) I can think of:

Dual pane glass
Better wipers
Heated steering wheel
Removal of center speaker
Plastic to metal scroll wheels
No more piano center console
Change to front window trims
Larger air filters
Removal of Lidar
Maybe HomeLink install related changes