TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Difference between Euro and US spec Roadsters

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by teslatradeup, May 16, 2011.

1. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the differences are between a Euro Spec Roadster (left hand drive) and one for the US/Canada?

Thanks!

Martin

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I should point out that even American and Canadian Roadsters aren't the same, due to differing regulations. Canada requires an immobilizer and daytime running lights, for example.

3. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

The european Roadster doesn't turn the brakelights on, if regenerating. But maybe if you're driving in Amerika Tesla could fix that with a little modifying.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

There are lots of lighting differences, like the ones in Germany have a rear facing fog light in place of one of the backup lights.
    Also, red reflectors mounted low on the rear diffuser, and the side (turn signal) repeaters on the front 1/4 panels.

I imagine that the GPS map software is different, and perhaps the radio reception standards. (In other words a different model stereo. )

5. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

So I guess my question would be what's the difference between a Euro Spec Tesla and a Canadian one... I'm assuming there is no way I could import one from Europe based on our strict laws. Here is a link to the laws:

BSF5048 : Importing a Vehicle Into Canada

You CANNOT import a vehicle from any other country than the US unless it is 15 years old or older. But these exemptions apply:

"You can import a vehicle into Canada on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle in any of the following situations"

Now I'm pretty sure that the Euro spec does NOT have the statement of compliance for Canadian or the U.S. safety standards right?

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I'm told that this is a firmware configurable option (albeit with a high security level required). The ones in Hong Kong have it OFF. At least one owner here is trying to get it turned on (for safety reasons). The original reason it was OFF was because of an interpretation of the law saying you could only illuminate the brake lights if the driver was physically depressing the brake pedal.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

An acquaintance of mine tried and failed to import a Lotus Elise from the USA. It's a long story but they might have been able to do it with a nod from Lotus, but they wouldn't play ball. So he's storing it in the USA until it's a "vintage car" (15 years).

So it might be possible with Tesla's assistance, but there's probably only one way to find out for sure - by trying to do it.

You've got a line on a EU Roadster trade?

8. tetsuos

tetsuos HK #488 (2.5)

Success! I now have regen activated. You can do it too! My tailgating anxiety has been dramatically reduced. :)

9. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

I might ;)

10. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

So did you change it yourself by going into the "secret" maintenance screen or did Tesla have to change it for you?

11. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

From the link I provided - it seems that the rules are very different for cars coming from the EU and a lot more strict. The sticker in the door panel has to distinctively say that it was built to CAN or US safety regulations... this is a real bummer... :(

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

If you can get an EU spec Roadster, the chances of swapping someone for a US/CAN version must be pretty good.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Wow, someone in Europe must really like Canadian beer!

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Maybe it's Talkredius...it's rumoured that he's imbibed the odd beer (and the even one too!) :biggrin::wink:

15. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

In what scenario? I guess someone that has one in the US/CAN that is maybe moving to the EU - that would be a good move. But even at that, I heard you can't even import a US one in Canada... Which really limits me now! :(

16. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

Believe me this beer is good! However, he distinctively said not for the Beer tour... I can't say much about this...

17. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

Not Talkredius :D

18. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Truckasaurus?!

19. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#19 TEG, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
    Oh, so a "counter-offer"... First born? Your soul? Sounds like you might be getting a good deal!

20. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Member

He left it open... Just have to figure out what he would like.