Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Model 3 and its competitors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Aside from the obvious electric / gasoline differences, what do you think each car really says, between the Model 3, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, and Mercedes C class? Here is my interpretation.

1. Model 3 - I can afford to drive a Tesla, and you can't! Between your car and mine, I win.
2. Audi A4 - It's nice, but not amazingly outstanding. German engineering, I guess.
3. BMW 3 series - Now there are 7 million AND ONE of them on the streets of America!
4. Mercedes C class - I couldn't afford a real Mercedes, so I got the Cheap, Crappy, Compact version. I'm a wannabe.

That's how I see them, anyway. :cool:

I love the look of Audi, but not forgiving their parent company VW for that diesel debacle.

A lot people fuss about what's "missing" from Tesla interiors, but best I can tell from observing them on the road, BMW still doesn't even include turn signals in most of their models.

Don't have much bad to say about Mercedes, other than it feels like an old rich person's brand.

But I'm not sure we can really call any of them Tesla competitors. Not until they produce more competitive electric offerings.

Cheap, Crappy, Compact version.

I think your referring to the CLA class.

The C class is a very nice car, nicer than you'll ever need. It will have a "better" interior, with better materials and more comfortable seats. Along with some "luxury features" that all Teslas will lack. Fit an finish will also be impeccable.

The Model 3 is different really in terms of design, storage, and the electric drive train. It has all top notch safety features standard, where as you're probably getting an okay system from Mercedes as a package. Autopilot also makes this car different enough to compete at this price level. Perfect for a techie.

These cars are not directly comparable. Tesla is in its own zone. Some people won't get it. Others will love it.

No offense but I'd rather hear from someone familiar with the wider auto industry, who isn't an evangelist and TSLA stock holder. That's a sure way to get a hugely biased review.
The problem is that the entire traditional auto industry would like Tesla to go away, so good luck finding someone who is not biased in the other direction. I think the most likely place for a non-biased review will come from someone who is not familiar with Tesla, and who has not been entrenched with traditional auto either, ask someone who knows nothing about cars, have them test drive a Tesla and a BMW/Audi/Mercedes, and see what they say.

Aside from the obvious electric / gasoline differences, what do you think each car really says, between the Model 3, Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, and Mercedes C class? Here is my interpretation.

1. Model 3 - I can afford to drive a Tesla, and you can't! Between your car and mine, I win.
2. Audi A4 - It's nice, but not amazingly outstanding. German engineering, I guess.
3. BMW 3 series - Now there are 7 million AND ONE of them on the streets of America!
4. Mercedes C class - I couldn't afford a real Mercedes, so I got the Cheap, Crappy, Compact version. I'm a wannabe.

What competitors?

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx and EinSV

Over the pond this is how it works:

Audi A4 - I am a typical Audi Arsexxxx, I worship clark-son every morning, I usually drive aggressively get shouted and honked at all the time. I regularly like to show-off the torque of my dirty-diesel engine even if no one else is racing.

BMW 3 - I rarely use my turn signals (no one gives me a chance anyway) and typically like to show-off going out of my way to be an inconsiderate driver. My biggest aspiration is to obtain an M badge and sometimes secretly wonder whether I should stick one myself

Mercedes C class - Likes to pretend I live on the edge by tinting all windows and having a custom plate. Don't like to follow so I try my best to overtake, even if the color lights are right ahead. Love badges, and looking out for AMGs on the road, even those falling apart.

EV or Hybrids - Clark-son says VW and Audi Dirty diesels are superior in every way so why bother. Clark-son says it must be a treehugger so everyone tries go past even when it is going at speed limit. Clark-son hates EVs and Hybrids so everyone pretends to hate it too. Clark-son says EVs and Hybrids are slow so everyone tries to outrun it between color lights and on city streets but only a very few succeed. Everyone goes away even more furious, the hate multiplied.

:)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Carl and McRat
Zach Shahan at CleanTecnnica has summarized some of the advantages of Model 3 over the competition. Tesla Model 3 To Crush BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus, Jaguar, Toyota … Everyone

One of the thing that gets me - and perhaps, as a reservation holder, I have an inherent bias - is how quickly that minimalist interior has grown on me. Clutter has always somewhat bothered me about modern vehicles, but after seeing Tesla's interior, when I look at something like this (Audi A4):

audi-a4-rt-2015-0029.jpg

It's like an automotive design disaster zone. BUTTONS, BUTTONS EVERYWHERE! Drowning in buttons, knobs, levers and switches. Which one is the machine that goes 'ping!'?

One of the thing that gets me - and perhaps, as a reservation holder, I have an inherent bias - is how quickly that minimalist interior has grown on me. Clutter has always somewhat bothered me about modern vehicles, but after seeing Tesla's interior, when I look at something like this (Audi A4):

audi-a4-rt-2015-0029.jpg

It's like an automotive design disaster zone. BUTTONS, BUTTONS EVERYWHERE! Drowning in buttons, knobs, levers and switches. Which one is the machine that goes 'ping!'?
And when I drove the Model S I always thought...why the **** do I have to go through touch-screen menus and don`t have dedicated buttons instead......
I´m a button fan. Touchscreens are nice and all...when you don´t have to keep your eyes on the street.

Reactions: kablammyman
And when I drove the Model S I always thought...why the **** do I have to go through touch-screen menus and don`t have dedicated buttons instead......
I´m a button fan. Touchscreens are nice and all...when you don´t have to keep your eyes on the street.

Yes, that's what wheel and voice controls are for. Multifunction controls.

If you were designing an iPhone it'd be covered in buttons and knobs and switches, have a tiny screen and not fit in your pocket. Designers have become increasingly aware that multifunction controls give the best user experience. Imagine using your computer if each app had to have its own separate peripheral to control it rather than just a standard keyboard and mouse. That's how people interface with cars today, and it's stupid. It also greatly inflates the wiring harness, meaning more cost, more weight, more power consumption, more potential for manufacturing defects, and more potential for things to break over time.

If you were designing an iPhone it'd be covered in buttons and knobs and switches, have a tiny screen and not fit in your pocket.
A phone is nothing you use while driving 70+ mph. As I said touchscreens are nice and all with their minimalistic approach as long as your eyes aren`t needed somewhere else.
Any system where you have to take your eyes off the street to use is bullshit in a car.
yadda yadda yadda, autopilot etc...yes I know, but that`s not here yet.

And concerning multifunction controls. ...yeah Tesla is not the only tech savy manufacturer worldwide. If you think they`re the only ones who`re able to cramp anything and everything everybody else needs 10 buttons for into those two tiny buttons on the wheel.....
a tiiiny bit biased aren`t we?

Reactions: kablammyman
Any system where you have to take your eyes off the street to use is bullshit in a car.

Which Is The Point Of Multipurpose Controls On The Steering Wheel And Voice Commands. So that you don't have to do that.

What part of that is difficult?

yadda yadda yadda, autopilot etc...yes I know, but that`s not here yet.

You're the only one talking about autopilot in this thread. I'm talking about steering wheel controls and voice commands.

If you think they`re the only one who`re able to cramp anything and everything everybody else needs 10 buttons for into those two tiny buttons on the wheel.....

Says a person browsing the web with a device (mouse) containing 2 buttons, a scroll wheel, and simple 2-axis motion.

(And if you want to bring up the keyboard, how much typing exactly do you think you have to do to change temperature settings or the like?)

Which Is The Point Of Multipurpose Controls On The Steering Wheel And Voice Commands. So that you don't have to do that.

What part of that is difficult?
Oh please stop with this illusory world of yours. You even have to use the touchscreen when adjusting the climate controls. And the multipurpose controls, in much higher variety, and voice commands also aren`t something that only tesla uses. But the competitors still have loads of buttons because it simply doesn`t work as it seems to work in your head.
"Computer! Turn down the temperature 2 degrees and point the airflow at me" ......is that how you imagine it? :rolleyes:

You're the only one talking about autopilot in this thread. I'm talking about steering wheel controls and voice commands.
which you`ve obviously never used in any other car before or else you wouldn`t spout such nonsense about the incredible capability of 2 buttons and voice recognition.

Says a person browsing the web with a device (mouse) containing 2 buttons, a scroll wheel, and simple 2-axis motion.
Can`t remember ever browsing the web with a mouse while driving 70mph.....

This extremely simplistic centralized use pattern the model 3 and the model S present is something that is designed for cars with an autopilot where the human has the time to fumble around on the big touchscreen. It`s pretty shitty for a "normal" car though.

Last edited:
Nothing on a car should be tree-structured interfaces, but that's where we continue to head for.
It is not unusual for an owner today to have never used many of the functions of their cars. This did not used to be true.

If you were designing an iPhone it'd be covered in buttons and knobs and switches, have a tiny screen and not fit in your pocket. Designers have become increasingly aware that multifunction controls give the best user experience. Imagine using your computer if each app had to have its own separate peripheral to control it rather than just a standard keyboard and mouse. That's how people interface with cars today, and it's stupid. It also greatly inflates the wiring harness, meaning more cost, more weight, more power consumption, more potential for manufacturing defects, and more potential for things to break over time.

It's why I gave up on cellphones. Yeah, I have them, I just don't use them daily, sometimes I won't use it in a month. My current one is some Apple the size of a paperback, but is unreliable since they continue to alter interface interaction. Sweep right? No, that was LAST month! Push to do this? Nope, not anymore since OS 18.003.XR1.x0EB7 most stable production release of the week. Please wait 20 minutes to make a call so we can update to relocate all the controls again. Thanks In Advance!

How do I make a call then? Duh. Pretty much all cars have phones built in. My work does too. So does my house. Heck, my wife and kids carry phones, as do friends. Only when I'm out on a motorcycle or other solo activity do I carry a paperback phone.

Cars are obviously going that way fast. Interface of the Weak (sic) seems to be the new 'standard'. Ironic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phrixotrichus
I would never consider owning German cars when I have been fortunate to experience Honda and Toyota reliability and cost of ownership. Some luck out on their German over engineered vehicles but I don't want to try my luck.

For now until late 2018, there will only be the Bolt, Hyundai/Kia Kona Niro Ioniq, Nissan Leaf and possibly a Honda offering that will likely topple 200 miles. My next car will be a BEV because gasoline is expensive in Canada and because every test drive of any BEV has been quite positive.

I see no reason to get a third car if it will be another ICE vehicle since we have enough of those already in an Accord coupe and RAV4 hybrid.