Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Model Y, Long Range & Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like to know the differences in the two model Y's. I can see the obvious ones, different wheels and tires, bigger brakes, some badging, lower stance, etc. What are the mechanical differences, such as, bigger electric motors, heavier power relays, heavier built motor controllers, etc. Can it just be a programing change to increase the torque and horse power and can you take the Long Range model and have the performance added later. I am interested in purchasing the Model Y and would like the performance model but not sure it's worth the 10k bump in price. Thanks for the input.
wayne

Wheels +4k if from base.
Brakes maybe +1k
Acceleration boost +2k
Little carbon spoiler maybe +200
Metal pedals maybe +30
lowered springs? I would say no cost difference

so before the lesser knowns the knows equate to ~7230$

the performance is still 0.7 faster so if you take a second +2k acceleration boost we are at ~9230$
So maybe labor to do the changes? Bam 10k

Reactions: labmixz
It’s only up to you if you need to spend the $10k because the LR AWD is plenty fast, handles plenty well, and brakes plenty well for daily driving and some fun driving. They look very similar and have the same creature comforts. The 21’s make for a rougher ride for daily driving, so keep that in mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I thought about getting the performance model, as well. But, I live in Los Angeles county where most of my drives are spent in traffic (even with pandemic). I mean traffic from downtown LA (where I work) to any outer suburbs stretches from 1pm to 9pm, so....I couldn’t get myself to justify (at least to me) the additional cost.

‘Quite honestly, the Long Range MY is freaking fast. I guess it would be nice to get an additional 0.7s faster, but I can live with the fact that I can still beat virtually almost every other car off the line.

Wheels +4k if from base.
Brakes maybe +1k
Acceleration boost +2k
Little carbon spoiler maybe +200
Metal pedals maybe +30
lowered springs? I would say no cost difference

so before the lesser knowns the knows equate to ~7230$

the performance is still 0.7 faster so if you take a second +2k acceleration boost we are at ~9230$
So maybe labor to do the changes? Bam 10k

you forgot the red painted line on the Performance

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
Specs on paper lists the technical differences. However, I recommend test driving a Performance and Long-Range back-to-back, then decide for yourself.

I was unable to tell the difference between the two when driving them back to back. They had exactly the same interior (I can't see the color of the pedals at all when driving), and both were fast enough and past the threshold of what I could feel (like comparing two roller coasters and trying to tell which one is faster). Things like the better brakes with the red calipers, you will never notice unless you take your Model Y to the track, especially since you'll be doing 1-pedal driving to maximize regenerative braking most of the time.

This being said, I would have chosen the Performance if it was offered with the 20-inch Induction wheels w/ all-season tires, and if the Long Range didn't have the Acceleration Boost.

I have some performance driving experience. When I tested the Model Y, I was concerned that it wouldn't be sport enough for my tastes. Coming from perspective of someone with track training enough to know that I will never be a really good driver, I drove the cars back to back. I was then given the chance to take a MYP home for the night.

Clearly, the MYP has stiffer bushings and higher rate shocks. The springs are the same, which is irrelevant, as they are too stiff on both cars. The MYP will take a set into a corner quite a bit better, and has much better control through transitions, while the LR, while never wallowy, is a little softer in transitions. The MYP also has quite a bit more functional acceleration throughout the range. Brakes seemed similar, but I would like a little bit better brakes if I would track the car.

Overall, the LR drives great, but the MYP has clearly been sorted out in tuning. What it really needs is a Track Mode.

For me, I like the MYP because it suits me better, but I agree with everyone here in principle, because unless you really like to enjoy the feel of pushing a car a little bit, the LR gives you more than enough to blow away anything in it's class except the X3 M or an AMG GLE 63 S.

Difference between the LR and P is "hey, this thing can scoot for an SUV" and "holy @$%*!!!" That difference isn't going to be worth the $ for everybody but it is real, even compared to a boosted LR.

I've never seen a clear breakdown of how much of the difference is software versus hardware.

Reactions: labmixz
I just had my MYLR serviced and decided to ask the tech about hardware differences. For what it's worth, he said he doesn't really know what the differences are, but there are definitely different part numbers for the Performance trim.

When I asked a Tesla tech person this question they said the P has a different rear motor and different fusing to allow more current to be pulled from the battery, he said that was what I would be paying for if I had chosen that over the dual motor long range. (I was interested in a stealth P since I didn't want the stiffer suspension, the low profile tires, and less ground clearance)

I just had my MYLR serviced and decided to ask the tech about hardware differences. For what it's worth, he said he doesn't really know what the differences are, but there are definitely different part numbers for the Performance trim.
Techs are rarely educated on the car. The head mechanic of the service department is often quite knowledgeable though. This is not a Tesla-only thing. This is across all brands.

Today I would order MYP since the price difference is $7k vs $10k when I bought MY LR.
Though you may not like 21” summer tires or lowered stiffer suspension. That may require some $$$ to change.
+2-3k for wheels and tires to get 18s or 19s, and + 4-5k with installation to get suspension with a reasonable ride height. The LR AWD already rides too low.