Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between most recent AP2 vs AP1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

am_dmd

Jan 29, 2017
PA
I am aware about several old threads regarding AP2 vs AP1 but I am looking to get most recent feedback/comparison if anyone who has access to both AP1 and AP2.
I am especially looking for comparison regarding only "Autosteer" and "Auto Lane Change" features. I have AP2/EAP and I know AP2 has NOA etc. but I am not comparing that feature. Once I had AP1 loaner albeit long time ago and I think it did auto lane change (using turn signal stalk, same as AP2) but it does not have blind spot detection? How reliable is AP1 Auto Lane Change feature compared to AP2's?
I am considering a used AP1 MX and would love to hear from others regarding these two features.

Thanks.

AP1 is still > AP2 when it comes to maintaining lanes.

Not sure if AP2 cameras make lane changing any better than AP1’s sensors (blind spot monitoring).
How far AP1 sensors can detect an oncoming/adjacent vehicle? I believe AP2 camera can see and predict the speeding vehicle much further than the AP1 sensors?

I've used AP1 from loaners and I can say definitely that AP2 Auto Lane Change is much better and safer.

It's also safe in AP1 as long as you keep an eye on your surroundings with its Auto Lane Change.
I still look and confirm before using AP2 auto Lane change feature. Still don't trust it fully and not sure how quickly it will react to abort if needed. Old habits die hard

I drive both an AP1 Model S and AP2.5 Model 3. When it comes to lane changes, you must check the blind spots and confirm it's safe before activating with AP1. It's very limited in what it can see. AP1 also does not do well on twisty freeways (can drift out of the lane) and hills. It freaks out when reaching the crest of a hill as it can't see what's ahead too well while an AP2 system doesn't flinch. AP1 is also more limited in it's vision of what's ahead. Generally speaking, if there's a greater then 35MPH speed difference between you and the traffic ahead, you must manually slow down the car. AP1 might not see the stopped traffic in time! AP2 I only do that if it's about 45MPH difference (probably more, but I play it safe right now).

When it comes to road trips on major freeways with well marked lanes and stop/go rush hour traffic, AP1 does just fine. Sure it's more limited, but it can still handle the majority of driving.