Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Multi-Pattern & Next Generation Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Multi-pattern seats are a combination of fabric and fake leather. The next-generation seats are leather and are also much more bolstered in the back and bottom. If you look at the configurator, if you flip between both options, you can easily see how the seats are shaped much differently.

So if you want leather, only choice are the next-gen seats. Depending on your height and body shape, some people don't like the bolstering on the next-gen seats as they are pretty deep and some say uncomfortable. If you don't care if they are leather or not, I would suggest sitting in both to see which feels better.

I have the multi pattern seats and had not even seen them prior to delivery. I was worried that maybe I should have gone with next-gen which is what was in all the vehicles I drove or looked at prior to purchasing. After having the vehicle for close to a month I can say I am very happy with them. The next generation does offer more support, but I find both extremely comfortable and some also say the multi pattern seats will wear better over time. If you are not stuck on having leather seats in the vehicle then I think the money can be better used with upgrades in other areas of the car.

My 2013 S85 has the original seats, which are the leather version of the current textile seats. I also had a 70D loaner for the last four days with Next Gen seats in tan leather. Both are comfortable, but I find the Next Gen seats a bit too binding for me. They're great for cornering, but feel tight in normal driving. And I'm not a large person. The previous seats could use a bit more lower bolstering for the corners. If they come up with something in the middle, I might upgrade.

I'd add that if you likely are going to do a lot of spirited driving as well as longer road trips or be in the car for long periods, the next-gen seats offer better bolster/support all around, lumbar is better as well. The next generation seats (leather) are similar to seats you'd find in a higher end car like BMW/Mercedes/Porsche although still not as good in all regards.

In addition to the differences enumerated in prior posts, I need to relate my experience when I traded in my 2013 Model S with first generation leather seats to 2016 Model S with Next Gen leather seats.
Besides the reduced rear visibility because of the higher headrests in the current seats (unfortunately both in textile and Next Gen seats); I noticed that driver seat belt placement and comfort has been compromised in the 2016 Model S with the Next Gen seats. In fact my wife just couldn't find a seat position where the shoulder section of the seat belt wasn't binding her in the shoulder/neck area. I got a seat belt clip (Amazon) to reposition the angle of the seat belt around the shoulder area to resolve the issue.
Something to consider if you get to test drive in either the Next Gen or textile seats.

Both are comfortable, but I find the Next Gen seats a bit too binding for me. They're great for cornering, but feel tight in normal driving. And I'm not a large person.
I feel the same way.

I have the old in-between seats (multi-pattern style, but with leather), and I love them. I was sad to see that if you want leather you now have to go with next gens.

For what it's worth I am 6'0" 175lbs and I have the next-gen seats. I am not a fan of them - for whatever reason I find them a bit uncomfortable on my butt for long periods and I can't find a position of the lumbar support that I really like either. I rented a Tesla with the original leather seats and I preferred them.

I'm usually not too picky with seats - I loved the seats in my 2004 Mercedes E355 AMG and before that in my 1997 BMW 540i with the comfort seats. Both were far superior in terms of long-drive comfort to what Tesla offers.

As for my 2016 Tesla I think perhaps I should have gone with the textile seats instead.

Word is the Model X seats are superior in terms of comfort to what is currently on offer in the S.

Reactions: Karl-Heinz
I've tried Next Gen, standard with leather, X, and of course my textile. I found the Next Gen to be the least comfortable- basically a very high end end version of Mazda 3 seats. My top two choices are my textile and the X seats. The X seats were slightly more comfortable than my textile. I can't stand the next gens. It felt like I was being squeezed and my upper back not well supported. I find textile and X seats to be superior to mid level Mercedes and Lexus seats.

I was considering new office chairs. I have a human scale office chair. At office max the best seat was a cheaper textile chair.

Reactions: pjoseph
Next Gen seats suck unless you are fairly small. Main reason I haven't upgraded from 2013 is I want leather but am uncomfortable in the "upgraded" seats. X seats aren't bad except that the headrest raise only with seat travel. Not a good idea.

You guys not convinced of the Next Gen Seats really ease my mind, because due to tax refund limitation, it would be either Next Gen Seats OR the Premium Package, which means that's a clear win for the Premium Package now... :)
You should try out the next gens, some people love them, some hate them. This isn't one of those things that someone on a forum tells you "it's not comfortable" that you should listen.

Reactions: Nevek
Personally l like the leather next generation seats, however as a small bodybuilder 5'8" at 220 pounds, my shoulders and legs won't fit into the upper bolsters and seat comfortably... No choice but went with Multi Pattern, I hope I like them as there aren't any for me to try on at all :p

I went with the textile seats sight unseen as all the cars at the store had next gen seats. Neither of us like leather seats, they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. However, we've found the multi-pattern seats are hard and uncomfortable. We went back to the Tesla store and sat again in the next gen seats. We didn't spend much time in them, but they were much more comfortable than the cloth seats.

I tried getting a 2 part seat pad set. Unfortunately the bottom seat pad pushed my head up too close to the headliner for comfort. The back support helps a bit, but the next gen seats were still more comfortable.

I have a 40 with Standard Leather and a 70D with Next Gen and recently had a loaner with textile. Save yourself some cash; go textile. Seat heaters on the Next Gen are USELESS; and they are not comfortable. Heat on textiles is instant; seems easy to clean and looks great.