Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Multi-Pattern & Next Generation Seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, we've found the multi-pattern seats are hard and uncomfortable. We went back to the Tesla store and sat again in the next gen seats. We didn't spend much time in them, but they were much more comfortable than the cloth seats.
Well, no doubts any more, we went for the Multi-Pattern Standard Seats without real life comparison. One one hand we never liked leather seats for the before mentioned reasons, on the other hand the costs for the NextGen Seats clearly spoke against them (had to keep the total price below a certain limit to still get import tax refund, a freak *sugar* regulation here in my country).

@wdolson, you must be the first with the opinion that the standard seats are hard and uncomfortable. Is it that you think they are really "hard" or "firm"? Because one can easily be deceived by the first "showroom" impression, however it's the long term sitting comfort that counts, and that's usually not the soft sink-in feeling supposedly luxurious upholstering provides.

Well, no doubts any more, we went for the Multi-Pattern Standard Seats without real life comparison. One one hand we never liked leather seats for the before mentioned reasons, on the other hand the costs for the NextGen Seats clearly spoke against them (had to keep the total price below a certain limit to still get import tax refund, a freak *sugar* regulation here in my country).

@wdolson, you must be the first with the opinion that the standard seats are hard and uncomfortable. Is it that you think they are really "hard" or "firm"? Because one can easily be deceived by the first "showroom" impression, however it's the long term sitting comfort that counts, and that's usually not the soft sink-in feeling supposedly luxurious upholstering provides.

I've found on the couple of hour plus drives we've done, my upper back and neck start to hurt, but it's relieved a little by slouching in the seat. I can handle firm, but these are like sitting on a concrete bench after a while.

I would say it's just me, but my SO finds them hard and unforgiving too. She considers the cloth seats in her 2013 Impreza far better. I think the seats from my 1992 Buick after 24 years of use feel much better, but those were probably the most comfortable car seats I've ever experienced.

Luckily my final test drive was a long one and I realised the next gen seats were squeezing my hips annoyingly. I tried the textile seats when I got back and they are much comfier.
I'm 185cm, 93kg.
I should add that the textile seats are slightly firmer.

We went from sport seats in a BMW 3 Series to Next Gen seats in the Tesla. For us it was the right move for the added lateral support.

Both cars can be driven for 10 hours a day in comfort. However, maximizing the government rebate is not something to ignore. We used our rebate to install solar panels and our Tesla now runs on sunshine. We would give up Next Gen seats for solar panels every time.

This thread got my SO and I talking about what to do about the seats. I contacted Tesla to replace the front seats with next gen seats and they wanted $5900, which is way outside my budget right now.

My SO hit on the idea of taking them to a custom car upholstery shop and have them modified. I called a couple today and they both want to see the car first, but neither was terrible optimistic. The biggest problem with the cloth seats is the headrest leans forward. The next gen seats head rest is more straight up and down. You can see the difference in Design Studio.

According to one of the guys I talked to, more and more cars are getting these forward leaning headrests because insurance companies are pushing for them. Many people recline the seat back so much it's at the right angle if heavily reclined, but it pushes your head forward if you keep the seat back more upright. I would lean the seat back further back, but if I reclined it any further, I wouldn't be able to reach the steering wheel.

That's probably why I found the next gen seats more comfortable. If you don't turn the driver's seat into a bed, the headrests push your head forward and you're driving with your neck kinked.

The hardness of the seat isn't great, but I could probably live with it if I could get the headrest problem fixed. Unfortunately, the way the seats are made, there really is no way to modify them, or even adjust them.

Looking in Design Studio, the X's cloth seats are the exact same shape as the leather seats. They are probably built on the same frame. I suspect Tesla has a stock of the Model S cloth seats they are trying to burn through and when they are used up, they will probably change to a cloth version of the next gen seats.

I had the exact same experience. I got my Model S delivered almost a couple of months back with Black textile seats. My problem is that the back of the seats are very firm and after just 20-25 mins my upper back starts hurting and feels like they are not getting enough support. i have tried almost every position but haven't really found one that is comfortable. I took it in for service and they responded back saying its functioning as per expectation and in case i want to replace it with next-gen it will cost me 6150+ taxes+ labor for the front 2 seats. Obviously this is highly un-reasonable and is actually ruining my overall experience with this car. :/ :(

I had the exact same experience. I got my Model S delivered almost a couple of months back with Black textile seats. My problem is that the back of the seats are very firm and after just 20-25 mins my upper back starts hurting and feels like they are not getting enough support. i have tried almost every position but haven't really found one that is comfortable. I took it in for service and they responded back saying its functioning as per expectation and in case i want to replace it with next-gen it will cost me 6150+ taxes+ labor for the front 2 seats. Obviously this is highly un-reasonable and is actually ruining my overall experience with this car. :/ :(
No help in adjusting the lumbar?

Textile in the 70D. They are comfortable and seem impervious to everything our boys can throw at them. They do not get hot in the Miami summer. 90D has next gen, which I really prefer, but I don't believe the leather will hold up over time. The bottom side bolster on the side of the doors is already showing signs of use (after 4k miles).

Before upgrading the seats try lamb skin to cover the back and seat bottom. We drove a Miata across NA and sheep skin made all the difference in comfort allowing us to make 10 hour long runs crossing the plains.

Our Model S with Nextgen seats is comfortable too but the seats to not match BMW's sport seat design in our previous car. Perhaps after 10 years of use any seat becomes the standard of comfort. I actually like the seats in my 25 year old pick up truck.

Having our S 60 for almost a month now, I can tell that the Multi-Pattern Seats are absolutely great, we like them a lot better than the Next Generation Seats. We already had a road trip across Europe with around 1300 km ~ 808 miles each way, and no seating or back problems whatsoever. They are robust, especially important for the kids, firm enough for long time use, and just comfortable to sit in, without the restriction on the sides like it is with the Next Generation Seats. I even think they look better with their patterning.

If anyone thinks they are uncomfortable or cause certain pain, my advice is to recheck and configure the seating position. I have played around quite a lot to find my optimal setting, which is a little different than what I'm used to in our Nissan LEAF. Once seated properly, recheck for seatbelt comfort (that issue with the none-adjustable seatbelt hight setting).