Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Nema 14-50P & 14-60P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Discounting the neutral connection what is the difference between a 14-50P and 14-60P if they both support 4 gauge wire? The two straight blades and the ground appear to be physically the same on both. To verify my replacement PCS board would charge at 48A, I installed a oven/range 14-50 pigtail on my version 3 Wall Connector. I know this Wall Connector was only certified for direct wiring. Seems like it should be safe with this pigtail if it were configured for a 50A circuit (40A charging)? Connected the two 6 gauge wires to the two straight blades and the 8 gauge wire to the ground lug. Plugged it into 14-50 outlet mounted on a pole at a friends house. The circuit was protected by a 50A Buss fuse. Charged at 48A for two hours while monitoring the pigtail and 14-50 connection for hot spots. I was charging at above the 80% level but the charging session was uneventful and was under four hours. Has anyone wired a pigtail using a 14-60P connector/4 gauge wires to a version 3 Wall Connector and used it as a permanent 48A charging solution? Thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the question.

If we ignore that the neutral is in the other orientation, the two outlets look the same. If I'm a manufacturer of a 14-50P plug and pigtail, I won't be designing it for 60 amp (48 amp continuous) loads. Even if the 14-50P pigtail has 4 gauge wire(I assume most/all do), there's no guarantee that he connection between those conductors and the blades of the plug is rated for 60 amps. In all likelihood it would be fine, but is it worth the small savings to get a 14-50 pigtail instead of a 14-60 pigtail?

You say that both plugs (or do you mean receptacles?) support up to 4ga wire, but that doesn't mean that they are rated for the max current that a 4ga wire can handle. The ability to accept 4ga wiring is for the flexibility of being connected to a long run where voltage drop matters and the thicker 4ga makes up for it. Also, wires are rated for different temperatures even for the same gauge because their insulation differs and is very important.

Reactions: Rocky_H and rrolsbe
You say that both plugs (or do you mean receptacles?) support up to 4ga wire, but that doesn't mean that they are rated for the max current that a 4ga wire can handle. The ability to accept 4ga wiring is for the flexibility of being connected to a long run where voltage drop matters and the thicker 4ga makes up for it. Also, wires are rated for different temperatures even for the same gauge because their insulation differs and is very important.
Good point about long run voltage drop! Both the plug/receptacle connection points and wiring would need to support 48A continuous. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited: