Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between P85 & regular 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my mind the S85 with 19" wheels is very practical while the P85 with 21" wheels is a performance beast in a practical shell.

I prolly would've been happy with the S85 and 19" wheels. But I feature creeped myself into the P85, and it is still wonderful.

I went for the P85. I think the price difference was $10K (pretty sure) when I ordered at the end of last year, but it included the $3500 wheels and $1500 air suspension that I would've ordered anyways, so the net increase was really just $5K for me. Now that the wheels aren't included and I've had my car for a month, I'd think twice about spending the extra (now) $8,500 difference if I were to do it over again. Either way, the car is phenomenal.

Either way, the car is phenomenal.

TRUTH.

Driving the P85 is like when you're eating really good chicken, and you're really hungry, and you're eating it and all of a sudden you take a little pause and hold the piece of chicken back a couple inches and just stare at it with a quixotically furrowed brow and you're just almost MAD at the damn chicken, that's how good it is... just thinkin all like "DAMN THIS CHICKEN IS GOOOOD!!!"

st_louis_deli_chicken_bite.jpg

driving the P85 is like biting into a succulent, juicy, moist thigh of the most perfect fried chicken ever. that moment when it first hits your lips. it's so good when it hits your lips. times that feeling by a thousand and make it continuous.

Last edited:
TRUTH.

Driving the P85 is like when you're eating really good chicken, and you're really hungry, and you're eating it and all of a sudden you take a little pause and hold the piece of chicken back a couple inches and just stare at it with a quixotically furrowed brow and you're just almost MAD at the damn chicken, that's how good it is... just thinkin all like "DAMN THIS CHICKEN IS GOOOOD!!!"

st_louis_deli_chicken_bite.jpg

Well spoken...

One aspect of the regular version I don't quite understand is the maximum power input seems to be the same as the performance version, just applied at a slower ramp up rate, which my guess accounts for the slower acceleration times.

In short, if you're really reaaaallllly into acceleration, go for the Performance. Otherwise, don't. For any actual road driving conditions, as opposed to track conditions, the Standard has far more than enough acceleration.

Thanks all (and yes, I realize that I am bumping a 3 month old thread ... but at least it's MY thread) :)

I've got a S85 reservation on hold ($ is not quite in place yet)... but I do get drawn back to the P every now and then.
When you see the videos of a Model S beating another car at a stop light -- I would assume that 95% of those are Performance ... but do you feel that a Standard 85 would have similar results (just not as dramatic)? I guess the reason for my question is that, if I'm going to buy a 90-100K car, I want it to stand out (not just for being 100% electric). That probably doesn't sound rational ... I realize.

Also -- are there pictures of how different the interior looks between the Standard and Performance (although, I think the difference is only in the headliner and the additional styling option, right?)

Last edited:
I'll join your bump. I came from a 2008 e92 M3 DSG lightly modified, and chose the s85 because I could not justify the $12K difference. On the roll the s85 is a little quicker than the M3 which has about 450hp at the crank. Throttle response is much better than the M3. In a nutshell s much faster than the M3. Of course the M3 is much lighter and can be tossed around curves quicker. I am happy with the S85 purchase but I'm the kind of guy that is rarely satisfied and always wants more to I occasionally long for the P85, but for $12K??????

IMO the P85 percent depreciation is going to be worse than a S85. I would love to hear others opinions here. I would think than in a year the difference between a S85 and a P85 will just be $2-$5K. BTW I got cool wheels so no one knows its not a S85.

john

No question that the P-85 will pull away from a standstill in very dramatic fashion: if you savor being first off the line and want the ability to maintain the lead position the P85 virtually assures that will always be the outcome. Knowing what the P85 is capable of does put you in the "big stick, speak softly" frame of mind. The power is there if needed.

Now, the S85 is no slouch either; however it is much "slower" than the P85 in the important 0-30mph range. For everyday driving, the constant linear acceleration of the car will still put you out front, just don't try the maneuver against a P85, your fate will be in his/her hands. :wink:

Now an anecdotal story that happened to me Father's day that put a big smile on my face; this all happened in a span of about 20 seconds: I am at a stop light with my wife and a car pulls up along the passenger side. The driver gestures my wife to roll the window down which she does. The light is still red and the driver asks her if the car is all electric. "Yes, it's a Tesla" she replies. The next question from the driver: "How fast does the……" That's all I heard, as the light had turned green and I floored it. During the sprint to the next light and way out in front of everyone, we had a moment to discuss if that was the proper etiquette on my part, as she hadn't had a chance to reply to his question. I told her I was pretty sure he wanted to know how fast the car was and what better way then to demonstrate and the light had turned green. To my surprise, the driver is now again next to our car at the next signal and says "Well, I guess that answered that question. How many miles can you go on a charge?" My wife answered and as the light turned green he gave a thumbs up and both of us went are different ways.

So, the point of the story is even the standard is very quick off the line, more often than not if I am the lead car I maintain that position; the car accelerates so effortlessly. Having said that I also believe in "it is better to be looking at it, then looking for it." If you can swing the P and don't mind more frequent tire changes that would be my choice if I had a do over.

@ Johnmodels: Hey John, what rims you have? I've been lurking this forum trying to find out if any of you guys have some nice wheels. So far, I found a couple. I wanted to find out if this would look good on a P85? anyone has some photoshop skills?

Sorry to hijack the thread. :tongue:

I'll join your bump. I came from a 2008 e92 M3 DSG lightly modified, and chose the s85 because I could not justify the $12K difference. On the roll the s85 is a little quicker than the M3 which has about 450hp at the crank. Throttle response is much better than the M3. In a nutshell s much faster than the M3. Of course the M3 is much lighter and can be tossed around curves quicker. I am happy with the S85 purchase but I'm the kind of guy that is rarely satisfied and always wants more to I occasionally long for the P85, but for $12K??????

IMO the P85 percent depreciation is going to be worse than a S85. I would love to hear others opinions here. I would think than in a year the difference between a S85 and a P85 will just be $2-$5K. BTW I got cool wheels so no one knows its not a S85.

john

I have the standard 85. I came from A BMW 1 series M coupe. I do not miss it at all, as I think the regular 85 is just and fast and just as quick. Yes - it is not quite as nimble, but of course it also weighs 1400 pounds more. My energy costs (electricity vs gasoline) is 20% of what I was spending for the 1M coupe. Both are white. Neither has a sunroof. Love the S.

I have an S85 and will freely admit that I read the P85+ threads somewhat longingly, from a pure testosterone standpoint. But on the street I already have to restrain myself from not launching at every stop and leaving all cars behind. Granted it's even more fun in a P85, but to most of those cars in back who just don't know the feeling, I probably look like a punk-ass...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta