TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Difference Between Sig, Sig Perf, and Production

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Charged_Up, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Charged_Up

Charged_Up Member

Other than the decals that say Signature, has anyone seen any material differences - other than sig red paint, white leather, and price? Is the "extensive leather" so different from production? I know that the car comes loaded with options (e.g. twin charger, high end wheels, etc) but I will have to make choices soon enough and am not sure I see what really makes the Sigs a "limited" version with differences that set it apart from general production..... happy to know if I'm wrong...

2. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I've wondered the same thing. Only thing I'm aware of is the extra leather and color options. And of course the extra $5,000 for an otherwise identical configuration.

3. Dan5

Dan5 Member

Only difference is different color selection, some badging, leather types, and white leather instead of grey leather

It looks like the Sig performance and Performance have the same style of leather.

The regular signature from design studio looks like it has perforated leather, while the production has one-tone single pattern.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I have not and it has been discussed quite a bit on this and the TM forum. I would expect a surprise or two, but I doubt it will be worth ~$5K. But I got to tell ya....I think getting it in July or August might be worth something, not to mention helping to get TM off the ground.

5. andrewas

andrewas Member

For those of us in Europe who has paid the deposit for a Signature - our delivery time has not been estimated (nor has the price) - but using the US prices I seem to be paying more than 5000 USD extra (yes - I am going with all options except for the shelf) for early delivery - but no one can tell what the difference of early and normal delivery will be in Europe. There needs to be a significant difference to make up for the extra 5000 USD! Or some hefty extras for Signature buyers.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Agreed -- tho, as pointed out, since I'm getting a performance, I don't get the sig leather on the seats. I assume I'll still get the "extensive leather throughout" though.

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

@AnOutsider - when you say "I don't get the sig leather on the seats..." do you mean no perforated leather??

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

yes, the leather that's supposed to be exclusive to sigs. Mind you, I'm not sure if it's better than what we get on the performance version either, just trying to quantify what I get other than some badging and an earlier delivery.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Wouldn't a Signature Performance have the same leather as a regular Signature car?

10. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I could list the differences, but this is easier:)
    Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

My understanding is you also have some carbon fiber accents, however I am not sure if that is only on the signature performance or all signatures.

Some aspect of the premium I suspect is simply getting one of the first batch ever made.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm fairly certain the seats in the performance and sig performance are exactly the same.

12. Dan5

Dan5 Member

I confirmed it with design studio

production- one texture leather

signature- center leather is perforated

Performance sig and production performance-non-perforated, but with the accents similar to the production leather

13. William13

William13 Member

There are differences in the seat coverings. The seats are the same. Dan5 is right but the performance side bolsters are different. Also the performance, at least in sig configuration has a contrasting cord. In the black leather the cord is red. I am unsure of the dark color of the cord in the tan and white leather.

Softer leather may not last as long. Sometimes cheaper is better. I worry about what the perforation may do.

14. dadaleus

On the pricing page the description of leather in the performance versions is the same for both the signature and non-signature. It includes Alcantara, which is non-leather. You can see this in the design studio as well. The non performance signature seems to be all leather.

I wonder if a signature performance buyer can request the regular signature seats. I also wonder if there is some advantage to the performance seats versus the non-performance signature seats that I'm missing.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#15 brianman, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    I mentioned what AnOutsider refers to a bit back and never got much progress on the topic. :|

I don't like the idea of Sig Perf being lesser than a Sig non-Perf in any way (other than price) but not sure if there's anything I can really do about it.

16. Dan5

Dan5 Member

The performance seats are definitely the way to go (except being a pain to clean). They have the accent stitching on the seams and there are portions that have a suede like feel.

The signature seats are just one tone leather.

There's only 3 things that distinguish the sig performance from the non-sig performance. badging, the red paint, and the white interior . (4 if you count getting it early)

If you are getting the sig performance in pearl white with black leather you are really paying a premium for the badging.

If you are getting the sig performance in red, white leather and badging, you are paying a premium for all three

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The performance seating has more lateral bolstering and, because that bolstering is Alcantara, more grip to keep people from sliding.

18. William13

William13 Member

Robert, I hope you are correct though I haven't seen that in writing. Have you?

19. Dale Adams

Dale Adams Member

I've seen this mentioned a number of times on the forums, but I've never actually seen a statement from Tesla that this is the case. The Design Studio images appear to show exactly the same shape for the side bolsters in both versions, but just with a different covering material. Can you point me to a quote or spec from Tesla that says the performance model side bolsters are actually stiffer or larger? Thanks.

20. dadaleus

That's the Alcantara I believe, which is synthetic--not leather. I'd much rather have actual leather.