Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between Tesla Model 3 2019 and 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Forum,

What are the differences between Tesla Model 3 2019 and 2020?

From my understanding, there shouldn’t be any software differences since the update were applicable for all cars, thus are there any hardware differences?

Biggest hardware change over the course of 2019-2020 has been the the upgrade of the HW2.5 computer to the HW3.0 computer.

But may I ask: What's the reason for your inquiry?

BTW: Welcome to the forum and some introduction is truly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning recently to import a used Tesla Model 3 from Germany to Netherlands. Now I am hesitating between the 2019 and 2020 version.

May I ask how the autopilot function work better on HW3.0? Since which month in 2019 this change effected?

Are there any other differences, the range?

Range is no issue whatsoever as long as you opt for Long Range or Performance versions. Superchargers and other chargers are everywhere and your driving style is the key factor.

I would certainly recommend the HW3 versions, if not for current functions then more for being future proof. Software updates keep coming.

Range is no issue whatsoever as long as you opt for Long Range or Performance versions. Superchargers and other chargers are everywhere and your driving style is the key factor.

I would certainly recommend the HW3 versions, if not for current functions then more for being future proof. Software updates keep coming.

Thanks! Found below links verifying indeed the HW2.5 has been replaced with HW3.0 by April 2019.

But also stating that there was a range improvement through software update by April 2019 and October 2020 for around 20 miles enhancement. Not sure if it’s really the case?

I am planning to get the SR+, not the LR. Timelines for Vehicles and Variants – TeslaTap

HW 3.0 stands for a hardware physically replaced in the car, for example a different chip, which is not supposed to be updated via any software updates. Correct me if I am wrong.
That is correct. Takes about 4 hours at a service center since it is also hooked up to the HVAC system for temperature management and it requires a reload of firmware/software.

Reactions: Shawnhan
There is no difference in (major)functionality on HW2.5 or HW3

When you buy FSD (on a HW2.5 system) you get hardware upgrade HW2.5 to HW3.

When you have HW3 withoud FSD you still need to pay for the FSD software upgrade. The same amount as if you would have 2.5 upgraded to HW3

Reactions: Shawnhan