Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in 2016 100D Lud Perf and P90DL except obvious 90 vs 100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning, I am new and looking buy a used Tesla S. I looked all over the forum and couldnt find my answer. So what is the difference between a 2016 100D Ludicrous Performance vs a 2016 P90DL other than the obvious 10 watts.

I know I have read a lot that Tesla changes stuff mid year but did they just up the battery wattage and change the name from P90DL to 100D Ludicrous Performance instead of calling it P100DL?

Also being moderately new to these I always knew the D was dual motors, so the new naming of 100D Ludicrous Performance would have a dual motors? I would assume it would have to but the listing on Tesla site does not state that.

Thank you in advance for the help and any more items you can pass along before I decide which one I buy. I am coming out of the Dodge Charger Hellcat so I have to get one with Ludicrous mode.

Good morning, I am new and looking buy a used Tesla S. I looked all over the forum and couldnt find my answer. So what is the difference between a 2016 100D Ludicrous Performance vs a 2016 P90DL other than the obvious 10 watts.

I know I have read a lot that Tesla changes stuff mid year but did they just up the battery wattage and change the name from P90DL to 100D Ludicrous Performance instead of calling it P100DL?

Also being moderately new to these I always knew the D was dual motors, so the new naming of 100D Ludicrous Performance would have a dual motors? I would assume it would have to but the listing on Tesla site does not state that.

One key difference To be aware: is the battery capacity difference is not simply 10 (assume you meant kWh). First, @wk057 on this forum had determined actual “new” capacities to be 4-5% higher than 100kWh for the 100D, and IIRC the 90D actual capacity was 5% below 90kWh. The monikers were rounded and Tesla received a lot of criticism for this naming system (which is likely why the newer cars no longer follow the “kWh” numbering ID system). So actual capacity difference is more like 104-86=~22kWh. And btw, this number is the total energy Storage capacity of the battery, to be clear. Second, the 100D chemistry is improved over the 90D, so if you search for battery degradation topics on electrek.com or here in this forum, I think you may find data showing 90D battery degrading faster than the 100D (although 90 owners likely have more time/miles of data). However, I believe degradation is showing roughly 6% decline from new on average (and batteries stabilize around there), sounds like it’s not your primary concern because you’re buying used so that “depreciation” is already taken. Third, I believe @wk057 tear down also indicated P100D has more robust high voltage electrical than prior cars (P90), so can put more electrons to the pavement (eg for former Hellcat owners ;). Fourth, you should seriously consider the newer Performance version but find an inventory model since Tesla is trying to clear Covid backlogs right now. Search EV-cpo.com for new P100D (Ludicrous seems to be included in those inventory models from Tesla), May find a price you’re happy with. The newer cars have a far superior suspension system and better motors, if I understand the changes correctly. I prefer the driving feel of the coil suspension of my 2016 MS over the air suspension of our 2018 MX100D, and MS loaners I’ve driven have the same marshmallow feel. Reviews indicate the newer Tesla suspension is drastically better (and you may even get Cheetah stance out of the deal). Sorry if this last bit costs you a few grand, but I don’t think you’ll regret it.