Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in 2016 Model X from 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a July 2018 model X 100D in the UK which I love and have already driven 15k miles going as far as Italy and Spain. This has EAP 2.5 and the latest CPU.

For my business I also extensively drive in the USA, and don’t want to be driving anything less than a Tesla, so I have ordered a used 90D from 2016 with AP1 - mainly getting an older model X to get free supercharging, as it will be used coast to coast on business roadtrips.

My question is what differences will I notice with the 2016 90D, against my 2018 100D?

The main screen will be slower to load web pages and the map scrolling will be a bit less smooth. You average Autopilot experience will be similar but you won't have the newest features like Navigate on Autopilot. Your range will be ~20 miles less with the 90 battery vs the 100 battery. Everything else should be virtually the same.

Seat configuration might be different so rear side vents may not be implemented. (I was wrong about the visor mirrors not having lights - was thinking about the S) Trim will be silver instread of carbon.

As a bonus you may get the retractable spoiler, leather seats and/or alcantera headliner, all of which were discontinued before your UK car was likely built.

Last edited:
The FWD interior switch is a Lever -- Pull to Open and Press to Lower. The Lever was replaced with push buttons later. Also the dash will be covered in Alcatara as will the headliner. The active spoiler may or may not be on a 90D. Early 90D's had the active spoiler, since Tesla manufactured all "early" X's with the active spoiler. Later the active spoiler was only installed on P90Ds before being completely discontinued. I have early 2016 X -- delivered in March 2016. I had the service center go over the X and upgrade window and door moldings, body alignments and essentially all the fixes that were incorporated in later 2016 models. Mine P90D tight and quiet, so I plan to keep for the long haul since the lifetime SC is a great benefit.

Free super charging definitely follows the car. Even those for sale on Tesla's Used Car Inventory site shows each vehicle has super charging free. Interestingly, it is now a small asset to owning a 2016 Tesla -- albeit it is Autopilot 1.

Free super charging definitely follows the car. Even those for sale on Tesla's Used Car Inventory site shows each vehicle has super charging free. Interestingly, it is now a small asset to owning a 2016 Tesla -- albeit it is Autopilot 1.

There are, as I understand it, three ways that free supercharging can happen:
  • Early cars came with it. This is transferrable.
  • Later cars came with it if you were the owner of another Tesla. This is also transferrable.
  • Later cars came with it if you got a referral code from an existing owner. This is NOT transferrable.
So it either follows the car or doesn't, depending on when you bought the car and how you got free supercharging.