Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in wh per km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which one is “the consumption meter”, the chart? This is possible. It could be continually updating 50km using 1km averages and not be matching with the trip meter’s “50.0km” until an entire 1km bucket has filled up.

Yes. The consumption chart. When I'm going down a long hill it takes quite a bit before it inverts or goes to the green despite being on regen the whole time so I think the 50 km span its showing you is not the same 50km from the odometer but an average of a slightly earlier 50km if that makes sense. Its likely that they implement some smoothing to avoid a line that just goes back and forth every light you hit in traffic. At least that's my theory given the closeness of the numbers.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Yeah, miles are not rounded at the tenths. I measured .1 miles on google earth, my display didn't go to .1 until it actually went .1 miles.

Now whether km is rounded I haven't tested, but miles is not.

And the display updates every .1 of whatever unit for the trip counters, doesn't matter the time.

I think you have to repeat the test and you'll find it's not consistent actually :D

I'm actually not really sure what the heck is going on any more :D

I was basing my original statements on some older consumption tests I did to see how accessory usage factors into the trip meter while parked vs stopped (hold) in drive. (The answer is energy while stopped in D does count when you next tick up on the trip meter, but you don't see it if you stay still until you move, and the energy used in P is not counted).

Anyways, in these tests with high consumption while stopped, I could see the first tick up was always shorter. I assumed it was that 0.05 rounded to 0.10, and then after that 0.15 -> 0.2, etc..

I did a short test earlier and I can't get much consistency, and using the API to query the odometer hasn't helped much either.

I got stuff like 140m on the odo for a 0.1 tick on the trip that my ballpark estimate was ~50m (0.05 km).

Worse than that, on an actual drive while watching the trip meter more closely, I saw weird behaviour where the trip meter seemed to lag, and then jump up by 0.2 km.

I'm wondering if the trip meter doesn't update based on the watt-hour-meter ticks (I believe these are 100 Wh, or 0.1 kWh ticks). Or some combination of both changing before it updates. Or it just randomly doesn't update every tick sometimes?

More testing required! :D

I think you have to repeat the test and you'll find it's not consistent actually :D

I'm actually not really sure what the heck is going on any more :D

I was basing my original statements on some older consumption tests I did to see how accessory usage factors into the trip meter while parked vs stopped (hold) in drive. (The answer is energy while stopped in D does count when you next tick up on the trip meter, but you don't see it if you stay still until you move, and the energy used in P is not counted).

Anyways, in these tests with high consumption while stopped, I could see the first tick up was always shorter. I assumed it was that 0.05 rounded to 0.10, and then after that 0.15 -> 0.2, etc..

I did a short test earlier and I can't get much consistency, and using the API to query the odometer hasn't helped much either.

I got stuff like 140m on the odo for a 0.1 tick on the trip that my ballpark estimate was ~50m (0.05 km).

Worse than that, on an actual drive while watching the trip meter more closely, I saw weird behaviour where the trip meter seemed to lag, and then jump up by 0.2 km.

I'm wondering if the trip meter doesn't update based on the watt-hour-meter ticks (I believe these are 100 Wh, or 0.1 kWh ticks). Or some combination of both changing before it updates. Or it just randomly doesn't update every tick sometimes?

More testing required! :D

Haha, yeah I just did another quick one and it seemed a bit short... have to get on Google earth again.

Reactions: darth_vad3r