Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between 2019 and 2022 Model 3 Long Range AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find one that compared the same models (Long Range AWD).
My lease is up this September and I will most likely be extending it for another 6 months. However, with that being said, does anyone know the exact differences between the model for those two years? I realize prices have increased ridiculously (as have every other car maker), but I just want to know the differences for the car alone.
Thanks

What comes to mind:
You wont have radar, so I think an 80mph limit on TACC.
New center console
Lifters for the trunk
No lumbar adjustment for front passenger seat
Headlight hardware can do matrix, but software does not implement it yet. They're still better, though.
I'm not sure if center console is still wired for USB-C data. For a period in 2021 the ports were power only, I don't know if data is back.
Newer/faster CPU
Still uses Tesla power connector, but car can talk CCS protocol: just buy the Tesla CCS adapter from Korea and you can access CCS chargers.
They no longer include the mobile connector with the car.

I'm sure I have missed some.

Don't forget that Tesla constantly fiddles with things based on parts availability. There was a recent run of 3's with the older headlights, now they're back to the matrix lights. There was a run last year that didn't run any wires to the console USB ports, just empty cut-outs where the ports should have been. So at the end of the day if you really want to know what's in the car then you need to go over your specific car at delivery.

Thanks folks, I really appreciate it.

I actually just spoke to a Tesla rep a few minutes ago and he mentioned the following:
- USB-C (all ports)
- Improved heat pump (for better mileage in winter)
- Double panel glass (reduce road noise)
- Power trunk

Last edited:
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I just switched from an early 2019 Model 3 to a 2022.

Here is the list of differences I compiled while deciding if the change would be worthwhile:
  • upgraded to MCU3
  • upgraded to HW3 (after April 2019)
  • basic autopilot included (after April 2019)
  • maximum EPA estimated range improved from 310 to 358 miles
  • matrix LED projector (a.k.a Global) headlights
  • black exterior trim (chrome delete)
  • improved side marker cameras (no light leak to blind camera at night)
  • new center console design
  • heated steering wheel
  • heated wipers
  • heated charge port
  • external speaker (pedestrian sound generator)
  • heat pump
  • climate control passenger detection (closes passenger-side dash vents when seat is unoccupied)
  • redesigned wheels
  • redesigned aero wheel covers
  • power trunk lid
  • trunk seal redesigned
  • metal scrollers on steering wheel
  • wireless phone charging
  • usb-c ports front and rear
  • usb in glovebox for sentry mode/Tesla cam
  • 128GB usb drive included
  • matte interior trim (no piano black)
  • new door latch button icons
  • dashboard trim wraps onto front doors
  • laminated side glass (front only)
  • Li-Ion battery replaces less reliable 12v lead-acid version
  • rear door speaker grills now circular
  • center dash speaker deleted
  • smaller frunk
  • frunk mat no longer included
  • rear deck center grill opening removed (reduces road noise, but also reduces subwoofer volume in cabin)
  • passenger seat lumbar adjustment deleted
  • radar deleted
  • homelink no longer included (separate online purchase ($350 USD) and service appointment required for installation)
  • michelin primacy mxm4 tires revised from T0 to T1 (if equipped - there are some hankook kinergy GTs in the mix)
I should also mention anecdotally that my new Model 3 seems quieter inside - less road and wind noise, and body panel fitment is more precise.

Last edited:
EPA range and economy differences between 2019 and 2022:

YearTrimEPA rangeEPA economy
2019Standard Range220131
2019Standard Range Plus240133
2019Mid Range264123
2019Long Range310130
2019Long Range AWD310116
2019Long Range AWD Performance310116
2022RWD272132
2022Long Range AWD358131
2022Performance AWD315113

Looks like not all variations of wheels are shown on fueleconomy.gov.

Model 3 AWD now come with Hankook Kinergy GT tires and no longer the Michelin MXM4s ... big downgrade imho. The Hankook's aren't even rated XL ("good enough" I guess) and the reviews on Tire Rack are pretty poor. Aftermarket around $199 whereas the MXM4s are $285+.

In the tire hierarchy I would rank Hankook well behind Michelin/ Pirelli/ Continental/ Goodyear and even Bridgestone

Some more good ol' cost cutting for a car costing close to $60k....

Reactions: Corser1
I do like the double paned front driver/passenger windows in the newer ones cutting back on noise and the slightly higher range. the blacked out trim is debatable for me. wireless phone charging is nice though and motorized trunk convenient. on the downside deleted radar / worse OEM tires (the Hankooks are objectively a noticeable step down from the Michelin's unless all reviews are *wrong*) and one speaker less plus no more leather steering wheel or lumbar support for front passenger (and what other hidden cost cutting has been done since then). My 2019 is pretty much issue free so I'll keep.

There was one more change I did not noticed until recently when I decided to put in my Tesla all-weather floor mats (discontinued 2019 version):
  • deleted plastic dead pedal cover (carpet only)
Kind of a bummer since the original all-weather mats do not cover that area and the newer liners only go halfway up.

The OEM part number for the dead pedal was 1086813-00-E, but it is no longer available.