Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between black and white interiors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really just depends upon personal preference, as you can already see in this thread. I had a light colored interior once (light gray in an Audi), and I'll never, ever have a light-colored seat material again. Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't keep it as clean as I would have liked.

That being said, the white does look amazing to me (and in some way more appropriately "futuristic" for a car like the Tesla), so if you are meticulous with the care and maintenance, it's a striking way to go.

That being said, I do think my gray exterior and black interior still looks pretty damn good, if not as eye-catching as the white interior.

White is also the free color so every tesla I see on the road is white now.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. The day I was driving to work when I was going to order my model 3, my plan was to get an MSM. But I saw an MSM and a white side-by-side on the freeway and thought the white looked MUCH better. My change to white had nothing to do with the cost: it was 100% about the look (and I would have paid a $1,000 premium over MSM to get the white). I have heard from other white owners who feel similarly.

It really just depends upon personal preference, as you can already see in this thread. I had a light colored interior once (light gray in an Audi), and I'll never, ever have a light-colored seat material again. Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't keep it as clean as I would have liked.
I've had my white interior for 19 months / 28K miles. I am FAR from being a neat freak. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how simple it is to keep the white clean.

I went with white because it looks so damn cool. But, I haven't worn a pair of jeans in the car once since getting it, for fear of dye transfer, and I pretty much always wear jeans (especially now working from home full time).

This leads to rather silly situations where I have to use Summon to move the car backwards and forwards, watching it fail hopelessly (this is more an Europe problem), rather than just getting in and moving it in like 10 seconds.

So, yeah, if you're a bit* OCD like me then maybe white isn't the best choice.

* Maybe more than a bit

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. The day I was driving to work when I was going to order my model 3, my plan was to get an MSM. But I saw an MSM and a white side-by-side on the freeway and thought the white looked MUCH better. My change to white had nothing to do with the cost: it was 100% about the look (and I would have paid a $1,000 premium over MSM to get the white). I have heard from other white owners who feel similarly.
Yeah, I got my neighbor to get a Tesla and he got a grey Model Y. It looks boring and drab in real life, doesn't stand out at all. I was planning to get the grey but I would have needed to get it matte wrapped for it to look good.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a red LR, but can't decide white vs. black interior. I currently have a black/black Model S. I have test drove and sat in both interiors.

White Pro:
- Looks futuristic
- Different, stands out. Looks good with Red IMO.

White Con:
- Blindingly bright inside the cabin, when in direct sun [this is the main reason I'm reconsidering]
- Less privacy in the cabin, even if windows are tinted
- Don't like the white strip on the dash, though the new design doesn't have the white door inserts, so this removes a Con.
- $1k upcharge

Tesla uses marine-grade white vinyl, which they explained to me when white first came out years ago in the S. That's why it's super stain resistant and waterproof. So I believe some of the cost is the more premium material grade..also why the seat feels somewhat softer, because it's a different material.

Why can't they have cream in the M3 like the MS? I'd go for that in a second.

Reactions: TBrownTX
White Con:
- Blindingly bright inside the cabin, when in direct sun [this is the main reason I'm reconsidering]
- Less privacy in the cabin, even if windows are tinted
- Don't like the white strip on the dash, though the new design doesn't have the white door inserts, so this removes a Con.
My $0.02

I've had my white interior for 20 months / 30K miles and have NEVER felt like it was too bright. The brightness is really most perceptible when no one is sitting in the car and you're looking at it (particularly when the doors are open). You have very little white in your line of site while driving (except see below).

As for the privacy, you can't see anything more inside of the car just because of the white seats - you just have the PERCEPTION of seeing more because the white MATERIAL is so much more visible. But as far as seeing someone inside the car, that person would look just the same whether it was a white or black interior. I guess you can more readily see the outline of a dark object sitting on the seat, but that minor and (to me) irrelevant.

The one detail you dismissed is the one I actually dislike about the white interior. Frequently on bright days, the white strip across the dash is reflected enough in the driver-side window as to be considered dangerous as it can impact being able to fully see the mirror. Not a deal killer for me, but worth mentioning

Would I do it again? Without question, I would.

Tesla uses marine-grade white vinyl

It's not vinyl, it's "Vegan Leather" :p

(Although it appears they aren't calling it that any more)

I have both interiors and the major difference is white vs alcantara door panels and dash insert wood vs white plastic. I like both but find the white drivers seat lacks some lateral support in the side panel that I did not expect. The white material is softer and the cushioning too like being on a pillow in a good way (still plenty firm). You can't go wrong with either and if I were you - blue go white otherwise black. Good luck and congratulations on your first Tesla! Whatever you decide will be awesome and the car is fantastic. Don't be too picky like some you read on here. It is an amazing car and technology- there is no comparison to anything. I am excited for you. Congratulations in advance!!
Tesla told me they are identical except for color.

I have both interiors and the major difference is white vs alcantara door panels and dash insert wood vs white plastic. I like both but find the white drivers seat lacks some lateral support in the side panel that I did not expect. The white material is softer and the cushioning too like being on a pillow in a good way (still plenty firm). You can't go wrong with either and if I were you - blue go white otherwise black. Good luck and congratulations on your first Tesla! Whatever you decide will be awesome and the car is fantastic. Don't be too picky like some you read on here. It is an amazing car and technology- there is no comparison to anything. I am excited for you. Congratulations in advance!!
Tesla told me that they are identical except for color.

You are correct the only difference is the color, front dash trim color and pocket inserts. I have a white on white and love the way the it looks. That said if I had to do it over again I would get Gray with black interior. The white car gets so much dirt on the back of it from just driving around and my white seat bottom is already showing signs of wear after just 1 year and 5k miles. If you have any sort of ocd get the black interior trust me. White is also the free color so every tesla I see on the road is white now. Also,if you plan on wrapping the Gray would be easier to wrap over as you won’t see the white peaking through.
I wish the free color could go back to black. However the white exterior is the best looking on a TM3 in my opinion.

I'm getting close to finally pulling the trigger on ordering my first Tesla, a Model 3. I've narrowed my exterior color choices to white with black interior or blue with white (or black).

I'm trying to understand the differences between the white and black interior options. Looks like only the following items are different:

seating surfaces
door inserts
dashboard panel / strip

The rest of the interior pieces seem to be the same between the black and the white. i.e. the seatbacks are black even if you get the white interior. If I were to order the white interior I think I'd almost certainly replace the dashboard panel / strip with a woodgrain one or wrap it somehow.

I guess I'm asking as a way of hedging my decision. In other words, may want to change from one to the other immediately or down the road. Guess that could be done by swapping genuine parts or third party options.
Im sure you already made your choice but best option is white seat covers from amazon that look identical to factory. You save 800$ still get wood grain from factory. Its a money option, can't go wrong this way.

Reactions: timeshifter
Im sure you already made your choice but best option is white seat covers from amazon that look identical to factory. You save 800$ still get wood grain from factory. Its a money option, can't go wrong this way.
Yeah, I made my choice, went with the black interior. I may have mentioned it a while back, but upon test drives I thought that the white was too bright. Black feels more comfortable, calmer.