Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between Canadians and Americans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This sort of thing is controversial in Canada. There's a whole history of this back and forth.

Canadian titles debate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

only to the very tiny minority who give a **** about that. honestly very few (mostly the older stodgy ones).

the only thing the British empire stands for now, is historical deco: queen is on the money, royal name places are everywhere, and of course the picture of the crown...

in contrast, canada is essentially a quieter version of america. Britain is a far away foreign place.

...in your opinion...

only to the very tiny minority who give a **** about that. honestly very few (mostly the older stodgy ones).

the only thing the British empire stands for now, is historical deco: queen is on the money, royal name places are everywhere, and of course the picture of the crown...

in contrast, canada is essentially a quieter version of america. Britain is a far away foreign place.

I am an American who lived in Toronto for two years and is married to a Canadian.

Canada is very different from the U.S. in many ways, many of them positive. You over-simplify the difference.

and i've lived in the US and Canada for about 10 years - each.

no need to play 'your anecdotes vs mine', we all have our diverse experiences :)

but lets just say there's a reason why Canada barely has its own accent, is the only major Commonwealth country that drives on the right, knows American name places, celebs, and politicians as much as Americans themselves, and whose music and movie stars can become famous before anyone realizing they're Canadian as opposed to american.

and that's not really a bad thing at all (unless you hate america or american culture)

Is there a greater difference between Canada and the Northern US or between the Northern US and the American South?

I live close the border and in my experience there is not much of a difference difference between BC and Washington but there is a difference between BC/Washington and the southern States. In general, the people of the southern states are friendlier and more down to earth than in the north. However, that does not mean there are better people in the south-- that really comes down to an individual basis -- there are good and bad people where ever you go. But to generalize, if I may, I find the people in Washington more friendly than the people in BC, and down south that southern hospitality is famous world over. We have the most expensive real estate in the world and I think the stress that inflicts on people here is tangible. Plus, we have a lot of immigrants who are more reserved or distant than the locals. This is not a criticism of them but simply an observation. If I was placed in a foreign country, I would be the same.

I live close the border and in my experience there is not much of a difference difference between BC and Washington but there is a difference between BC/Washington and the southern States. In general, the people of the southern states are friendlier and more down to earth than in the north. However, that does not mean there are better people in the south-- that really comes down to an individual basis -- there are good and bad people where ever you go. But to generalize, if I may, I find the people in Washington more friendly than the people in BC, and down south that southern hospitality is famous world over. We have the most expensive real estate in the world and I think the stress that inflicts on people here is tangible. Plus, we have a lot of immigrants who are more reserved or distant than the locals. This is not a criticism of them but simply an observation. If I was placed in a foreign country, I would be the same.

i lived in the south. i agree with what you've written, with the exception that i think BC locals are the reserved, timid ones, not exactly the foreigners.

i've heard the same from all kinds of foreigners' testimonies.

I am an American who lived in Toronto for two years and is married to a Canadian.

Canada is very different from the U.S. in many ways, many of them positive. You over-simplify the difference.

My brother is a dual Canadian/American like me, married a Canadian and moved to the Los Angeles area. His wife now has US citizenship. My daughter married an American and moved from the Toronto area to the Chicago area. To me, I cannot really tell any cultural differences between Southern Ontario and California or Illinois (other than the Chicago accents!). Both countries have virtually identical roots in history and share many of the same values and morals. I know sometimes Canadians can have a bit of identity crisis over this (the US is an almost overwhelming influence) but other than that, I don't think there are two countries as closely aligned as Canada and the US. The differences are minor, and mainly have to do with political priorities (gun control and health care are probably the big two), but I hear just about equal arguments on both sides of the border on the pros and cons of those.