TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Differences between P85D and P100D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Vitaman, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Put an order in for a P100D yesterday currently driving a P85D (non Ludicrous).
    Other than the improved center console, cooled seats, increased range, and better acceleration, what differences are there in the two?
    Also drove a 90 X and loved the presenting doors, door closing mechanism, more forgiving suspension, better front visability, and increased interior trim. I don't need the extra seating, and the handling although better than many SUVs, would make me miss the S.... so I was only mildly tempted.
    Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

The nose... color matched lower trim vs the pebble grain black (which cries out for some protective film to protect it from rash), a different rear diffuser, the BIO-HAZARD filter, the fact that the front trunk is a bit smaller and has no lining trim on the bottom side of the front hood, and radar in a different place and your front defrost air vents are back under the perforated mesh....

Those come to mind...

• Helpful x 2
  3. mdevp

mdevp Member

The Ultra White seats are only available in a P100D atm I believe. (and Model X)

4. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Actually had the White interior on order for about 5 hours.
    My wife reminded me that our small dogs although non shedding and no Labradors, will occasionally take a dive into a muddy stream.
    The ultra white would become ultra stress.

5. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Anecdotally: 2 shedding berners that love muddy water while hiking. White 7-seat model X interior. No issue whatsoever. A dry towel has cleaned everything off these, including a coke spill from the poorly designed upper console cupholders. If we upgrade to the 100, we'll get white again.

• Informative x 1
  6. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

Rear cup holders and USB ports...its the little things :)

• Like x 2
  7. nico180

nico180 Member

led headlights. adaptive corner lights

8. number12

number12 Member

From what I read the later VINs have better fit and finish as they "work out" issues? but this is all reading

9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

congrats! "better acceleration" in both slow speed and high speed, which is important.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

205 hp....which is the only difference that matters.

11. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

This will be the 1st time I have changed cars........ to the same car!
    Other than the nose cone they look virtually alike. Nice in a way but when you are spending major coin it feels better at least psychologically to have something obviously new and improved. Changed paint color, seat color and trim materials....that made me feel a bit better.
    Then nico, ggny and sorka come along and make me feel a whole lot better!

12. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

I just saw 2 P100D at my local service center. Those new seats with the adjustable headrests and perforations look really nice.

• Like x 1
  13. KIP1

KIP1 Member

I was going from the, P85DL to the 100D and parked beside the new facelift car last week. The white looks really good with the new front end. I am expecting the car to be very similar, just faster at the top end, new seats, leds (sadly not adaptive), and usb ports + cup holders and slightly wider rear Michelin PSS tires. The painted side skirts also look stunning. I myself took a sidestep on Saturday and bought an identically specced showroom P90DL. Will upgrade that to the P100D. I dont need seat ventilstion or cup holders .

14. NDR

NDR Member

suspension is softer(than early p85d), gear noise is gone, motor whine is gone.

• Like x 1
  15. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Hmmm.... Softer suspension? As in less precise handling or better ride over speed breakers?
    Would not shed any tears over Motor whine being gone for sure.

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I am trying to decide whether to do this myself. Still dithering. Usually I am terminally bored with any car after a year or so. This time my P85D from Dec 2014 still seems new. However, the extra range, HEPA filter and quicker (why in heavens name do I want quicker?:eek:)
    My spouse says "I would not..." but she is, as always ready to enable my absurdities.:D

• Like x 1
  17. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Well in reality our current cars are cat quick have sufficient range and are works of art made metal.
    The 1st time I saw a picture of the updated nose I thought why? So many other things could use a refresh (WAZE like navigation, Apple Music integration, a place to stash a liter of water to the Driver's left side, ability to set an actual time for Climate control remotely (Dog in car).
    I still think my list is more important but I now like the new nose better than the older one. Excuse my ignorance but I seem to remember the SAs talking about how good the air filters were 2 years ago. Is the new one noticeably better? Is it on all the time or does it need to be activated?
    My decision to get the latest was purely spontaneous and not at all the way I usually deal with new cars. Have a feeling you may do the same.

• Like x 1
  18. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

We don't have many data points, but the P100DL appears to Supercharge faster too, if that helps!

P100D SuperCharging Rate

• Like x 1
  19. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Ah, a rational argument! Now there is the HEPA filter plus faster charging. Two good reasonable arguments to use rather than "it is quicker".:confused::confused:

20. voyager

voyager Member

skip to 3:30

• Like x 1