Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences between US and EU Roadsters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking to purchase a new car and a Tesla roadster caught my eye on GruberMC being right in my price range of 70-75,000 but it is in Norway. I just wanted to ensure that the car would be street legal in the USA. As luck would have it, I know someone who is aware of the importing standards for cars. He informed me that the car wouldn’t pass a US safety inspection since it was manufactured for sale outside of the US. Has anyone here dealt with an EU roadster and could inform me what the car is lacking. I was thinking perhaps I could get the seller to bring it up to standard and then purchase the vehicle

I was looking to purchase a new car and a Tesla roadster caught my eye on GruberMC being right in my price range of 70-75,000 but it is in Norway. I just wanted to ensure that the car would be street legal in the USA. As luck would have it, I know someone who is aware of the importing standards for cars. He informed me that the car wouldn’t pass a US safety inspection since it was manufactured for sale outside of the US. Has anyone here dealt with an EU roadster and could inform me what the car is lacking. I was thinking perhaps I could get the seller to bring it up to standard and then purchase the vehicle

I don’t know what the rules are exactly, but for older vehicles you should be able to apply for a waiver from applicable standards. Might search for “import classic European car United States” on Google. That should give you the rules.

having just exported my US Roadster to Canada, there are companies you can hire that are experienced in the paperwork and will prepare all the documentation for you. All you need to do is give them your info, pay a fee, then sign the documents they send you.

Upvote 0
I don’t know what the rules are exactly, but for older vehicles you should be able to apply for a waiver from applicable standards. Might search for “import classic European car United States” on Google. That should give you the rules.

having just exported my US Roadster to Canada, there are companies you can hire that are experienced in the paperwork and will prepare all the documentation for you. All you need to do is give them your info, pay a fee, then sign the documents they send you.
Thanks for the reply, I also found one of these companies but they dissuaded me from looking at the car due to US regulations being very particular in cars sold in Europe

Upvote 0

here is a link to some guidance. CBP Customer Service

looks like the car needs to be 25 years old to be exempt from DOT rules and 20 years for EPA. Since it’s a zero emissions vehicle, EPA rules won’t pose a problem. But DOT rules might be another matter.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
Upvote 0
I dont think it is possible to import Europe roadster without waiting 25 years.

This is the respond i got from tesla.
Thank you for reaching out to the roadster service support channel.
Upon further research we have found that European roadsters are not approved for registration in North America due to Safety and EPA guidelines.

Upvote 0
I dont think it is possible to import Europe roadster without waiting 25 years.

This is the respond i got from tesla.
Thank you for reaching out to the roadster service support channel.
Upon further research we have found that European roadsters are not approved for registration in North America due to Safety and EPA guidelines.

It is really a question of can you make modifications to meet the DOT requirements. If you can, then you can import it. If you cannot, then you cannot.

Upvote 0