Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Acceleration between 2020 & 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My beloved 2018 Model 3 was broad-sided the other day, so all of a sudden I'm in the market for a new one. I noticed that the acceleration and battery range for the 2021 Long-Range AWD Model 3 are 4.2 secs and 353 mis, but the 2020 used cars of that exact same model for sale on the Tesla website show 3.9 secs and 322 miles. Does anyone know why the differences from one year to the next? Thanks.

interesting, can you link your source?
This has been discussed at length on this forum. The LR and P motors have been different since 2019. 980 vs 990.

Okay, thanks. Does the boost decrease battery range? All the M3's with the faster acceleration also show less battery range (353 versus 322). Thanks.
Ignore everything above about tires. That’s not answering the question.

To answer your question. The 2021 model 3 has some efficiency improvements such as the heat pump and potentially larger battery (82kw) that account for increased range of 353 miles.

2020 model 3 LR gets 322 miles because it does not have the improvements of the 2021 models.

This has been discussed at length on this forum. The LR and P motors have been different since 2019. 980 vs 990.

To my knowledge the only difference is higher current inverter in the motor and that doesn't impact the range, only maximum power. Range is impacted only by tires. Am I wrong?

Reactions: OUengineer