TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Differences in loaner car, or am I going crazy??

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ImperialG, Feb 24, 2014.

1. ImperialG

ImperialG Member

I had a loaner from the service center (the vin was around 22000, if I recall correctly) and it had all of the latest options (multicoat Red P85, 19" cyclone wheels, power mirrors, cold weather package, sound studio pkg, yacht floor, etc), and I think that I noticed a number of differences between it and my S60 (Vin #5084 - 19" wheels, pano, sound studio, leather, tech package). Can anyone confirm my suspicions so I can understand if I'm going crazy or not?

• The frunk hood seemed a bit lighter and easier to close. Is the weight of the hood lighter or is it all in my mind?
    • The speaker system seemed significantly better, although my car supposedly has the same setup. The bass seemed deeper and more pronounced, and the highs seemed crisper. The system also seemed clearer at higher volumes, when my system starts to produce some distortion at "10" and "11"
    • The pano roof seems to open, slide and close significantly quieter

Also:

• The remote was in a fobpocket. Was this an isolated case where they provided one, or is this a standard accessory now?
    • There was a microfiber cloth in the glovebox. Is this also standard with all cars? If not, it should be!

It was fun driving the newer car around. The parking sensors work really great, the folding mirrors are a lot quieter than I expected, and the multi-coat red looks gorgeous in person!

2. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

The service centers as well as the galleries give away the fob pockets. Just ask for some. They are free.

When end I took delivery in November (vin 25000) it came with two micro fiber cleaning cloths. However I found some at Fred Meyer for $4.99 in electronics by the iPhones that are so much better!! I can't comment on the other things because my car appears to be even newer than the loaner you had.

3. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

All of the differences are perfectly plausible, it is no secret that Tesla is constantly improving and changing the car.

4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

+1, but the OP might also be crazy as well.

5. Mike_Schlechter

Mike_Schlechter Model S - P457

Actually, I had a similar experience. My vin is xxxx1590 - so the 390th non-sig made. The loaner I got last week was a very different car. I didn't notice the frunk weight, but the dimensions of the nook seemed smaller, the roof seemed quieter (I mentioned and they said they would check mine next time I was in) there was much less distortion at the bottom of the windshield, the handles seemed to come out further and faster and the panel gaps were much smaller and more consistent.

I did like the winter package for the wiper / nozzle warmer and the parking sensors. Those weren't available when I got my car, and when I asked about a retrofit I was told it isn't tenable at this time. That sucks, but I still love my car.

They did say I had such an early vin there was a chance it as at least partially hand built (despite being a production car. It actually has signature chrome, for instance). I went to the new Milford, CT serve center, and they were great, and also clearly enjoyed seeing a car with so early a vin.

In the end, I love my car. It has been with me since November 2012, and 20k wonderful, smooth, emissions free miles. And I mean almost completely emissions free, as I charge off of my PV system. Since taking delivery I've purchased a total of $650 in electricity (which includes the $17 a month to be on the grid). I know Super Chargers aren't all solar powered, but regardless, I remain madly in love with car and how little an impact it has on the environment in my daily use, and how comfortable and quiet it is to drive.

6. Zextraterrestrial

I noticed a bunch of differences in the vin16xxx P loaner I had vs my 2012 P car. I like mine much better.
    windshield distortion was the only thing worse but then my windshield cracked shortly after and it is the new version now.
    I really noticed that the seating position in the newer cars is higher but haven't heard this comment besides from myself (ranger agreed when I pointed out the difference when the seat is in a low position)

7. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Could it be the Stereo was set up differently than yours? I found significant improvement in the Bass and overall sound by doing the following. You may try this just for kicks:

1. Turn off Dolby
    2. Turn down midrange to -3
    3. Turn up Bass to +2
    4. Leave Treble at +0
    5. Fade to the Rear to -11
    6. Put on some Dubstep ;)

8. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

+1
    I was thinking the same thing
    I dont remember my settings exactly, but i have bass on highest, treble on notch down from highest and mid - slightly above zero somewhere
    This setting seem to produce fairly accurate sound when you do 4-7 in volume

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I've driven a few loaners in the past year since I got my car. Obviously there are upgrades that are present now when compared to my car (VIN 4xxx) such as parking sensors, folding mirrors (like my 60 loaner today), etc. There are differences in the fit and finish of the newer cars, however, that I am noticing. The more recent cars appear to me to be more solidly constructed. The one I have today has 260 miles on it and it is absolutely silent -- no rattles, no whines, no clicks and clanks. The doors have a bit more of a robust "thunk" sound when closing. The suspension feels "tighter." Every model that I've borrowed has had a sunroof -- don't regret leaving this option out one bit!

Having acknowledged this, I don't think mine is an inferior build, but it has (to me) obvious signs of being a "1.0" model, especially with the chrome misalignment that I see every time I look in my driver's side mirror <sigh>. I've enjoyed it immensely over the past year, but if I had a crystal ball 2 years ago, I would have invested the money in TSLA ($27 when I signed) and bought one now with the money that I earned!

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Had a P85 (VIN 28863) as a loaner a couple of days ago; it had 21" wheels, standard suspension, pano roof, parking sensors, folding mirrors and rear child seats. Compared to my S60 (VIN 3552) from Jan 2013,

- whatever I tried, I couldn't get the seating position to match. The lowest that the seat could go in the loaner was higher than the setting I have in my car. That made for a very fidgety experience and hitting the steering wheel (which I adjusted to the same level as in my car, by using the dash display as a reference) constantly given my long legs.

- it could have been the combo of the 21" wheels and the standard suspension, but, the road noise level inside the cabin was a lot more than in my car. I had a call going on speakerphone at max volume on my iPhone (seated in the cupholders) and I could barely hear a thing.

Oh, not sure what the P85 fuss is all about. My S60 feels like a much more refined sports sedan than the loaner I drove ;)

11. Zextraterrestrial

GG you should try my P. Probably more like your car, especially the seating position
    the loaner I tried had standard suspension and I thought it felt floaty & noisier

12. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Yes!!!!

Noticed that myself. Thought I was just imagining it.

(Other topic: My loaners have all had air suspension.)

13. 772

772 Member

Are the newer Panos any less/more noisy than the old? Has anyone noticed?

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I had one like that, and I also got a good one once. The good one was very nice, the other one felt like you were driving through deep mud.

15. roblab

roblab Active Member

VIN 00064

37,000 miles in 17 months.

Pano Roof

No noise. So any noise from a "new" pano roof would definitely make it noisier than my "old" one.

So, is the noisy one the "improved" pano version used after the Signature cars? Along with the B batteries? I knew there was a reason I wanted to be in the first thousand, before they figured out how to make all these parts more cheaply, uh, I mean, more "profitable".

16. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I'm pretty tall and one of my biggest complaints with the front seating is that the seating position is so darn high. I didn't remember that being a problem on my test drives. I hope they never put anything important in that top row of icons on the dash, because my options are "Raise steering wheel to bus-like height and see the dash" or "Keep the steering wheel where it's comfortable and obstruct the top 25% of the dash," and I'm not too keen on driving a bus. It's livable, but I would have preferred it go lower.

My 21xxx VIN loaner was the same as my 25xxx car, so they changed sometimes prior to 21xxx, I guess. Probably when the seats were revised in August/September?

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I also got my loaner and the seating position was 2-3" higher (yes really that much higher) than my car 3182. I thought that it was due to me having the gen 1 cloth seats (seat construction different than the leather seats, not just upholstery). I sit with my seat in the lowest position possible, so it was painfully obvious to me.

18. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Wow, that's a huge difference. I would *love* that.