Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Differences in Model Ys Manufactured in Austin Vs Fremont?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not seen or heard of any SR AWD 7. Unless something change recently, all LR7 have been from Fremont only. SRAWD is not even available to order via online configuration. It's like a "secret" model.

Yes. My SR 3 was similar off menu in 2019. But now the AZ rep denies SR AWD Ys existence, so "super" secret or impossible for 7. Also it was a $5k price difference for the RWD 3, vs only $2k for SRAWD Y

Well I wanted to update my original post but it appears I don’t have the power to edit as a new forum member. So here is a summary from the posts above.

1. Front & Rear cast chassis (Austin-Rear & unknown for front/Fremont-Rear only). Is it considered better for ride quality & sound. Front casting might only be for MYAWD due to different batteries(4680).
2. Comfort suspension (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).
3. New paint technique (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Austin has a new booth to hopefully fix quality issues out of Fremont…but people have reported paint issues from Austin also.
4. Matrix projection LED lights (Austin-No/Fremont-Yes). Possible future ability to adjust light beams while driving. Overall matrix is a better headlight.
5. Magnetic arm rest (Austin-No/Fremont-No). Possibly only available for MYAWD overseas and when it comes to US.
6. USS sensors (Austin-No/Fremont-No).
7. Camera updates (Austin-No/Fremont-No). New camera housing found on M3 but not found on any MY yet. No new camera reported on any vehicle yet.
8. Cargo cover (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).

Notes: All 7 seaters are coming from Fremont currently

Reactions: SamY_MYLR and vickh
Well I wanted to update my original post but it appears I don’t have the power to edit as a new forum member. So here is a summary from the posts above.

1. Front & Rear cast chassis (Austin-Rear & unknown for front/Fremont-Rear only). Is it considered better for ride quality & sound. Front casting might only be for MYAWD due to different batteries(4680).
2. Comfort suspension (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).
3. New paint technique (Austin-Yes/Fremont-No). Austin has a new booth to hopefully fix quality issues out of Fremont…but people have reported paint issues from Austin also.
4. Matrix projection LED lights (Austin-No/Fremont-Yes). Possible future ability to adjust light beams while driving. Overall matrix is a better headlight.
5. Magnetic arm rest (Austin-No/Fremont-No). Possibly only available for MYAWD overseas and when it comes to US.
6. USS sensors (Austin-No/Fremont-No).
7. Camera updates (Austin-No/Fremont-No). New camera housing found on M3 but not found on any MY yet. No new camera reported on any vehicle yet.
8. Cargo cover (Austin-Yes/Fremont-Yes).

Notes: All 7 seaters are coming from Fremont currently
I'm pretty sure AUS has magnetic armrest.

Great hopefully my 7 seater/ white no other options will be ATX. I will try a free reject 1st since I'm not in a rush. Still cross shopping.
Hi, I’m in need of 7 seater. Tried reading through threads here. In summary, for a 7 seater (even if Austin is making those) - are there any differences with Fremont version? (USS - I couldn’t gather if there is conclusive info that Austin/Fremont differ at all). May be my question can be - why do you prefer Austin make for 7 seater?
Thanks! There’s just too much info :) and owning a 3 I’d love to know more.

Great hopefully my 7 seater/ white no other options will be ATX. I will try a free reject 1st since I'm not in a rush. Still cross shopping.
Also deferring your pick up - that could put tax rebate on risk for you? (I guess 7 seaters may anyways be close to end of March as is, with not much surety on rebates after that)

Hi, I’m in need of 7 seater. Tried reading through threads here. In summary, for a 7 seater (even if Austin is making those) - are there any differences with Fremont version? (USS - I couldn’t gather if there is conclusive info that Austin/Fremont differ at all). May be my question can be - why do you prefer Austin make for 7 seater?
Thanks! There’s just too much info :) and owning a 3 I’d love to know more.
The only difference between Austin and Fremont cars are that Fremont cars often come with the better Matrix headlights where as Austin cars have never shipped with Matrix headlights (to date).
Austin also has a more modern paint shop but I've never seen anyone show a difference between paint quality.

If I had to choose I'd choose Fremont just for a chance to get Matrix lights.

Surprised at all the people getting 7 seaters. I haven't physically sat inside of the 3rd row, but I've seen them with and without kids in them and they don't even look useable for toddlers with a car seat because the kids legs were hitting the seat in front. What are people using them for?

Surprised at all the people getting 7 seaters. I haven't physically sat inside of the 3rd row, but I've seen them with and without kids in them and they don't even look useable for toddlers with a car seat because the kids legs were hitting the seat in front. What are people using them for?
I have 7 seaters since Mar 2021. It's fine for what it is. If you're expecting to use it every day, then sure, it's a very poor choice for that. I've used it occasionally, even on long trips. I'd get it again if I had to do it over.

Some Austin built MYLR have been coming with the new 4D1 hairpin motor designated for Performance models. All examples I've seen were built in December and always have an F in the 8th digit of the VIN. F is what Performance models are always designated instead of the typical E for LR models. I haven't seen any examples of Fremont built LR with this.

Some Austin built MYLR have been coming with the new 4D1 hairpin motor designated for Performance models. All examples I've seen were built in December and always have an F in the 8th digit of the VIN. F is what Performance models are always designated instead of the typical E for LR models. I haven't seen any examples of Fremont built LR with this.
Picked up in Austin build NJ yesterday - no mud flaps, no matrix lights . One customer who was picking up Freemont build told me that Austin built had newer motor than Freemont build and he verified by looking behind vehicle but when I asked SA he said no. Anyway so far didn't find any big issues so happy so far.