TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Different door handles for the Model 3 depending on trim level?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Galve2000, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

So I noticed during the reveal that 2 out of the 3 Model 3 prototypes shown had door handles that looked different than the door handles of the Model S.

They had a bit of a swoosh figure.

And one of the 3 prototypes shown had door handles that looked like the Model S door handles.

can anyone explain this? is it a trick of the light? originally I thought they may have had a Model S next to the 2 Model 3 for the sake of comparison, but it wasn't sho b/c the nose cone for all 3 cars shown was for the Model 3.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far...

2. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Member

This has been discussed. The matte black M3 was an early production model. The Silver and Red are the closer to final design. The J handles looks to be the handles, not the MS style.

3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

good to know.. thanks for that

4. Lex

Lex Member

For me, the suggestion that there would not be 2 different final designs came immediately -- it would be too costly to have 2 different door stampings with slightly different openings. From what I see so far, Tesla is very much on a mission to mass produce this car as efficiently as possible.

I like the look of the newer handles but as a current MS owner part of me was hoping the final Model 3 would use the same "parts bin" motorized handles from MS to keep the replacement costs down on these notoriously problematic handles.

For the prototypes, it seems they either want to find a way to keep them flush while eliminating the motorized movement, or they have not yet created motorized prototypes to fit the new opening.

Or perhaps the manual "handle tabs" will be standard and motorized handles will be optional. I imagine Tesla could easily get folks to pay more for motorized handles, as they are a dramatic signature of the initial experience with the Model S.

I just hope they test it/them very thoroughly in outdoor winter weather. Model 3s will be parked outdoors in some of the coldest climates.